CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Head-up Display

Okay, so it appears that the Head-up Display option is only available on the 2005+ STS, and only in combination with the Adaptive Cruise Control system for the 1SF (AWD) & 1SG (performance?) configurations.

UV6 Head-Up Display, with digital readouts for vehicle speed, selected gear, Adaptive Cruise Control indicator, audio system information, high-beam indicator, fuel level and 5 language capability (English, French, German, Italian and Spanish)

1 - Included and only available with (K59) Adaptive Cruise Control. Not available with (W21) Platinum Edition.

This seems a VERY desirable option; I wonder why Cadillac does not offer this across the line? Is there something specific about the adaptive cruise that makes packaging of the two together advantageous?

The Corvette offers this option, and the Grand Prix, under the same RPO code.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Interesting backgrounder on Head-up Display:

http://www.dupont.com/safetyglass/lgn/stories/1004.html

New heads-up display technology uses DuPont™ Butacite® Wedged PVB

DuPont is the leading worldwide supplier of wedged PVB for automotive Head-Up Display applications.

Delphi Delco Electronic Systems of Kokomo, Indiana (USA) is the world's leading supplier of automotive Heads-Up Display (HUD) units which depend on a wedge-shaped PVB interlayer in the car's windscreen for optimal visibility.

Delphi Delco's EyeCue Product Manager, Dale Hopkins, told LGN: "One of our biggest customers is General Motors which offers HUDs in its major option package for the Pontiac Bonneville, Grand Prix and Buick Park Avenue models. We also recently won a GM contract for HUDs in Pontiac's 2001 minivan model and for Chevrolet and Buick 2002 models".

"Whereas current commercializations use a fixed segment HUD, displaying basic data such as the speedometer reading, fuel and temperature levels, the new minivan commercializations will have reconfigurable HUDs. This means that they will be able to display a wider range of alphanumeric information concerning cellphone, radio and turn-by-turn navigation information, as well as other data currently displayed on the driver's dashboard information center. As an example, information from Japan's 'intelligent highway systems' could be displayed well on our reconfigurable HUD's".

"Wedged PVB provides the best cost-performance choice for today's automotive manufacturers when it comes to HUD technology. We had considered alternative technologies such as holographic patches for Delphi's HUDs but these were simply too costly for mass commercialization. Butacite® wedged PVB does the job perfectly."

Delphi Delco Optics Engineer, Scott Spink, explained: "In the Heads-Up Displays, the image that the driver sees is reflected off the inner and outer surfaces of the windshield. The inner surface produces the primary image seen from the driver's position while the outer surface produces a second, dimmer image. In a conventional, non-wedged windshield, these images appear slightly separated due to refraction through the glass layers and this separation is known as 'ghost'. Thanks to wedged PVB, we can align the two images into one, eliminating 'ghosting'. DuPont supplies the wedged PVB for our most popular HUD systems."

DuPont's patented Butacite® wedged PVB interlayer technology allows HUD images to be displayed without distortion while giving windscreen manufacturers PVB with maximum handling ease for commercial production. The company is the leading worldwide supplier of wedged PVB for HUD applications.

Buick photo here:

http://www.buick.com/rendezvous/contextual...adupdisplay.jsp

IPB Image

Bruce

I drove a HUD Grand Prix in the late 90's. The system gave me a head ache and I turned it off...

Unless it is greatly improved, it is not an option that I would pay money for.

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Didn't they have something like that in the movie I,Robot?

How does it work??

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

I think this is one of the best safety features out there, and I'd pay extra for the option on ANY vehicle.

It works by throwing your speed (among other things maybe) onto the windshield, so you don't have to look at your dash. Similar to how the speed and gear selection is displayed on the gauge screen on your '02 STS. My brother's '99 Corvette has the HUD and it's one of my favorite features. It shows speed, in digits, a graphical representation of the tachometer, a vertical graph of fuel level, and all that's customizable (turnable on/off). The whole display also can move up/down on the windshield a little bit, and you can adjust the brightness, including turning it off. Driving his car, I never look down from the road.

They should at least offer that on every vehicle sold.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Ah; optional on the STS (with adaptive cruise), and standard on the XLR and XLR-V. NOT available on the SRX, STS-V, CTS, CTS-V, or DTS? (although the DTS can have adaptive cruise control - argh packaging people).

Bruce

I have the HUD system on my 06 XLR and it`s pretty cool, I like it alot. Just wish it came with a gun sight crosshairs.

LOL.

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

I have the HUD system on my 06 XLR and it`s pretty cool, I like it alot. Just wish it came with a gun sight crosshairs.

LOL.

x2 :lol:

There are quite a few people I'd like to put my crosshairs on while driving!

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

It's heartbreaking to know that the guy who is currently ordering my next Cadillac can't select that option for our car.

I missed the lottery on Tuesday, so my XLR plans are currently on hold. :(

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Archived