CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Air filter change interval

davedog

We finally got my wife's 2001 Beetle back from the various shops for damage related to her accident in December. I noticed it was a little sluggish off the line and realized it was way over due for a fuel filer & air filter - runs much better now.

ANYWAY, got me thinking, my 2005 SRX is about to hit 25k, I've had it for about 13 months (bought with 12k) and I have never replaced the air filter, and don't know if the previous owner has. I figured out how to pull it out, and while it wasn't as bad as my wife's air filter it still seemed pretty dirty - but I'm no expert. Found a picture of a dirty SRX air filter online - mine looks very similar as far as dirt goes:

IPB Image

So I was always tough every 12 to 15k, but on one sire it said 50k for the SRX? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

-dave B)

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

"Dirty" usually isn't really DIRTY in terms of an air filter, but it depends on the conditions under which the vehicle is driven I guess.

If you can take the filter out, tap out all the loose dirt, and it's still black or brown and looking grimy, just go ahead and replace it. Once a year is probably pretty often for an air filter. I think a 5 year interval isn't that unreasonable, but there's always that disclaimer, "or more often if you drive in dirty or dusty conditions."

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Run a little experiment on your engine and see how often you might want to change the air filter in your driving conditions.

Buy a spanking new filter for your engine. Before you install it, weigh it on an accurate (to 0.1 oz.) postage scale. Weigh it again in 3 months, 6 months.....

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I have always just changed my oil (Mobil 1) and my air filter at the same time which is at 5000 miles. An air filter doesn't cost that much and I look at it as cheap insurance. :)

The filter in the picture doesn't look bad at all. I think the owners manual says every 30K. They are not as critical as an air filter on a carburated engine.

Don't overlook the cabin air filter. I recently changed mine (probably the original - 6 or 7 years old - 87,000 miles) and got a noticeable increase of air from my dash board vents!

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

check your car first and see if you really need a new GM air filter recharge kit.. if its time to replace then buy a new one.. from time to time check it, so that you'll know when will be the next replacement..

Wholesale GM Parts is not affiliated with General Motors Corp.

Sorry, no K&N's for me!

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

I'm pretty sure I read someplace what Ranger said... 30k, or more often in severe conditions....

I just do once a year....

I admire the thought process behind weighing the air filter on a digital gram scale.... but by the time I buy the scale, ehhh, I'll just buy another filter instead....

Archived