CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Fuel Pressure

jackc

I'm reassembling my 93 4.6 Eldo after removing the intake, cleaning the EGR passages, and replacing the injectors and FPR.

With everything back in place and connected, the fuel pressure hits 40 PSI when the key turned on (not running). Then it holds there for a little while, then begins dropping.

On a 93, its very hard to see if something is leaking, because everything is inside the intake plenum box.

Does anyone know how long the fuel pressure should hold at 40 before it starts to drop? The FSM doesn't say, but there seems to be a built-in assumption that it will drop since the system re-pressurizes itself each time the key is turned on.

I do not have the answer you are looking for. I think it will vary depending on the condition of the check valve in the pump.

If you do not smell raw fuel with the system pressurized, you should be good to go.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

It should hold a fairly long time if the system is in good shape, probably for hours. The check ball that holds the pressure has been a problem on GM cars. Sometimes it can leak back and not cause a problem, sometimes it sticks wide open and the car won't start. I've had that last scenario, you get pressure but it instantly drops to 0 when the key is off.

Yours will probably run a long time with a slight leakback. But NO guarantees!

If you do not smell raw fuel with the system pressurized, you should be good to go.

Thanks guys. As of last night, I'd managed to get raw fuel everywhere, including a pretty good size puddle in the floor of the intake :blink: (With the lid off of the intake, things tend to shoot apart when you hit it with pressure - I finally bolted down the top gasket to hold everything, but still be able to see inside the manifold) Hopefully, it will evaporate today and I can tell better what I've got.

I did see the reference to the pump check valve in the FSM, so yes - that is a consideration too. My pump is noisy, so its on my list too - but I'm not there yet.

I guess I'll watch it awhile longer and see what I can conclude.

Curiosity got the better of me so I grabbed the guage, a stopwatch and the keys to the '04.

Cold engine, 20 hours sitting = 0 psi.

Key on and off several times for full prime = 38 psi.

15 seconds elapsed = 36 psi.

60 seconds elapsed = 36 psi.

2 min's elapsed = 35 psi.

5 min's elapsed = 34 psi.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

My manual says it should not drop more then 5 psi in 10 minutes. If it does then to check the fuel pump check valve, fuel pump flex pipe, the valve or valve seat withing the fuel pressure regulator or the fuel injectors.

As of last night, I'd managed to get raw fuel everywhere, including a pretty good size puddle in the floor of the intake

With the top of the intake off, turn the key on, but DO NOT crank the engine. Look for fuel leaking out of the nipple on the FPR. Replace it if any fuel leak from it.

• 3 weeks later...

Spoke with a knowledgeable Porche mechanic this weekend (at my daughters wedding), and the topic of fuel pump pressure came up, cause i recently replaced mine. He said that he has found that bad or marginal fuel pumps may deliver adequate pressure, but not adequate volume. I think he mentioned this in conjunction with not just racing porches but his gm truck (memory addled by champagne at this point .... :rolleyes:

Just wanted to communicate this point that the pressure may be ok, but the volume may not. How to measure/test that, I don't know.

The GM service manual suggests that the fuel pressure should hold in a over night condition.

They never do. At least none of the GM ones I have tested during diagnostics. Most maybe 5-10 minutes....very few up to an hour.

After checking and fiddling, checking and fiddling, I finally got my numbers back in the range of JimD's. No more problems.

Some lessons learned:

1. A northstar can run just fine on the set of mismatched fuel injectors that it came with.

2. A set of reman fuel injectors will not necessarily be good. But Rockauto will make things right.

3. A new GM FPR will not necessarily be good.

4. I should replace things one-at-a-time so I know what's causing what.

Glad you are back on the road. So a new out of the box FPR was bad?

That is not something everyone would check; but they should.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

So a new out of the box FPR was bad?

Yes - Fuel pressure would not hold with the new FPR. It took me awhile to convince myself that was the problem - but it held with the old one, leaked down with the new one. The guys at my local dealer made it right for me. I'm blessed to have great parts guys there.

Archived