CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

hesitation when cold/ seat heat

daniel812

I just bough a 1998 SLS with only 50k and I have two questions;

1) the car hestitates when cold only. I did a complete tune-up (plugs wires cap rotor pcv valve air filter fuel filter) any ideas?

2) My driver seat heat turns on and clicks every few seconds but does not warm the seat.....why?

1) the car hestitates when cold only. I did a complete tune-up (plugs wires cap rotor pcv valve air filter fuel filter) any ideas?

2) My driver seat heat turns on and clicks every few seconds but does not warm the seat.....why?

Show us a picture of the cap and rotor.

If you mean a sticky throttle type of hesitation and then a lurch off idle, clean the throttle body bore and the throttle blade perimeter.

Most common seat heater failure is one of the heating elements; and the most common element to fail is in the seat bottom cushion. The seat bottom element and the seat back element are in series, so it would be good to determine which one is failed "open" before you buy the parts.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Show us a picture of the cap and rotor.

If you mean a sticky throttle type of hesitation and then a lurch off idle, clean the throttle body bore and the throttle blade perimeter.

Most common seat heater failure is one of the heating elements; and the most common element to fail is in the seat bottom cushion. The seat bottom element and the seat back element are in series, so it would be good to determine which one is failed "open" before you buy the parts.

If that would be the case wouldnt I have a contant hesitation/rough idle not only when cold?

I apologize if I was not clear, but its a rough idle in park or in gear until warm

The rough idle when cold could be due to carbon buildup. 50K miles may mean that it hasn't been driven enough, and that most of the driving has been slow city driving or stop-and-go. A tank of high-test and a 350-mile road trip could be all it needs.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

The rough idle when cold could be due to carbon buildup. 50K miles may mean that it hasn't been driven enough, and that most of the driving has been slow city driving or stop-and-go. A tank of high-test and a 350-mile road trip could be all it needs.

I agree with that. My 92 silverado was running really rough, missing at idle and having a hesitation. I took it on a road trip with some Shaeffer fuel additive and BAM! Good as new.

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

I just filled up a full tank of 93 and hopefully it goes away. It was mainly a city car up until I bought it. Any recomendations to keep up on service or general problems to be aware of?

i just did major tune-up, belts, radiator hoses, thermostat and tires, transmission flush.

there are no p codes stored. I do have a IPC 1000

FPR = fuel pressure regulator. It is a small canister looking device on the fuel rail with a vacuum line attached to a nipple on the top. With the engine running, pull the vacuum line and look for fuel leaking from the nipple. There should be none.

I have a 2001 DTS W/100,000 miles on it and I have the same problem. The double click you hear is the control module (under the seat on mine) going on and off. I've been told the heating element is the most common cause. I have a little problem with that since both front seats seemed to fail at about the same time. I can get the drivers side to work some of the time bu wiggling my butt around but it's inconsistant. When mine works, both the back only and the seatand back options work fine. When it gets a little warmer I intend to do some continuity testing. My local dealer spent three hours and came at me with the idea of replacing the whole system as the nly sure way to fix it. BS.

Good luck

Fran

How would I go about replacing the heat pads? How do I take apart the seat to see the problems??

I have a 2001 DTS W/100,000 miles on it and I have the same problem. The double click you hear is the control module (under the seat on mine) going on and off. I've been told the heating element is the most common cause. I have a little problem with that since both front seats seemed to fail at about the same time. I can get the drivers side to work some of the time bu wiggling my butt around but it's inconsistant. When mine works, both the back only and the seatand back options work fine. When it gets a little warmer I intend to do some continuity testing. My local dealer spent three hours and came at me with the idea of replacing the whole system as the nly sure way to fix it. BS.

Good luck

Fran

• 2 weeks later...

so i did a tune-up and replaced the TPS, also cleaned the IAC and throttle body. Still have a rough idle and have a random misfire code, although it willnot show a specific cylinder. Ideas?

How would I go about replacing the heat pads? How do I take apart the seat to see the problems??

My local dealer spent three hours and came at me with the idea of replacing the whole system as the nly sure way to fix it. BS.

Fran

I replaced my seat bottom element in 60 minutes. Complete with all recommend diagnostics. This is an EASY project... The seats come a part with only a couple of screws, two clips and some king sized Velcro... Guaranteed the dealer (who has probably done more than one of these) can fix it in 30 minutes or less...

The repair kit for the seat bottom for a 1998 - early 2000 is

25755076-Front Seat Cushion Heater Pkg-LH/RH

If you need the seat backs the kit is

25755073(LH) or 25762972(RH) -Front Seat Back Heater Pkg

The process is quite simple and IIRC there were instructions in the kit...

You remove the seat bottom cushion,

You cut slits in the foam and you slide in the new element between the foam and leather. The replacement elements have peel and stick glue that holds them in place... The old element is built into the foam and does not get removed.

The 1998-2000 uses three elements in the bottom 2000 1/2- 2004 uses a single element.

Tape up the foam with high temp duct tape and reinstall the seat cushion...

As I said 60 minutes if you are going really s.l.o.w

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Sorry no pictures:

These are the steps from the Service Manual , it is a lot easier then it reads.

1st Design-Front Seat Heat Diagnostic Procedure for 1998-2000 MY Built BEFORE VIN YU204670

1) Adjust the front seat assembly to the maximum up and rearward position in order to access the seat cushion fasteners.

2) Remove the fasteners (2) retaining the seat cushion (1) to the seat adjuster.

3) Lift and support the seat cushion assembly away from the seat adjuster assembly.

4) Disconnect the heated seat module (3) harness green, 2-way connector (4).

5) Measure the front seat back total element resistance between cavities A and B. Does the resistance measure less than 5 ohms?

If yes, go to Step 6.

If no, go to Step 12 in order to determine which of the three front seat back heat elements has a resistance value NOT within the specified range.

6) Disconnect the heated seat module harness black, 4-way connector (5).

Important

If the resistance is measured with the seat still warm, the resistance may vary outside of the specified range since the thermistor resistance varies with temperature.

7) Measure the front seat cushion thermistor resistance between cavities C and D. Does the resistance measure between 280 ohms and 300K ohms?

If yes, go to Step 8.

If no, install a front seat cushion center heat element. Refer to the Service Heat Element Installation Procedure in this bulletin.

8 ) Measure the front seat cushion total element resistance between cavities A and B. Does the resistance measure less than 5 ohms?

If yes, the resistance values of the front seat heat elements are within the specified range. To find the cause of the inoperative/cold heated seat, perform the standard diagnostic procedures in the Service Manual.

If no, go to Step 9 order to determine which of the three front seat cushion heat elements has a resistance value NOT within the specified range.

9) Disconnect the white 2-way connectors between the seat cushion center heat element and the seat cushion outer and inner heat elements.

10) Measure the seat cushion outer heat element resistance between cavities A and B at the white 2-way connector. Does the resistance measure less than 5 ohms?

If yes, go to Step 11.

If no, install a front seat cushion outer heat element. Refer to the Service Heat Element Installation Procedure in this bulletin.

11) Measure the seat cushion inner heat element resistance between cavities A and B at the white 2-way connector. Does the resistance measure less than 5 ohms?

If yes, install a front seat cushion center heat element. Refer to the Service Heat Element Installation Procedure in this bulletin.

If no, install a front seat cushion inner heat element. Refer to the Service Heat Element Installation Procedure in this bulletin.

12) Remove the front seat assembly from the vehicle. Refer to Seat Replacement-Front Bucket in the Seats sub-section of the Service Manual.

13) Remove the seat back trim panel in order to access the two white 2-way connectors. Refer to Seat Back Panel Replacement-Front in the Seats sub-section of the Service Manual.

14) Disconnect the white 2-way connectors between the seat back center heat element and the seat back outer and inner heat elements.

15) Measure the seat back outer heat element resistance between cavities A and B at the white 2-way connector. Does the resistance measure less than 5 ohms?

If yes, go to Step 16.

If no, install a front seat back outer heat element. Refer to the Service Heat Element Installation Procedure in this bulletin.

16) Measure the seat back inner heat element resistance between cavities A and B at the white 2-way connector. Does the resistance measure less than 5 ohms?

If yes, install a front seat back center heat element. Refer to the Service Heat Element Installation Procedure in this bulletin.

If no, install a front seat back inner heat element. Refer to the Service Heat Element Installation Procedure

Important

DO NOT attempt to remove the factory heat elements from the seat trim cover. The service heat element is to be installed between the existing factory heat element and the seat trim cover.

FIGURE 1st Design Front Seat Cushion Trim Cover-Inside Out ( 1st Design Rear, 2nd and 3rd Design Front/Rear Similar)©

1) Remove the trim cover with the non-functioning heat element. Refer to the appropriate seat trim cover removal procedure in the Seats sub-section of the Service Manual.

2) Place the seat trim cover on a clean flat surface with the inside facing out.

3) Remove the wiring harness from ONLY the non-functioning factory heat element. Use a pair of diagonal side cutters to cut the harness wires as close to the factory heat element material as possible.

If installing a center heat element, go to Step 4.

If installing an inner or outer heat element, go to Step 6.

Important

DO NOT start the cut with a jab or poke.

4) If installing a center heat element, create an opening between the non-functioning factory heat element (1) and the seat trim cover as close to the seam (2) as possible. Use a razor blade or an equivalent sharp tool and carefully slice through the factory heat element until a hole is created.

5) Insert your finger(s) through the hole and lift the center heat element material (1) away from the trim cover material.

Use scissors and/or a razor blade to cut the center heat element material along the entire length of the seam (2) from corner to corner.

Insert the service heat element (5), with the backing paper side up, between the trim cover material and the factory heat element material (6).

Ensure the service heat element is laying flat, is tucked into each corner and extends to each side.

Carefully remove the backing paper from the service heat element.

6) If installing an inner or outer heat element, create an opening (4) in the middle of the factory heat element (3). Use a razor blade or an equivalent sharp tool and carefully slice through the factory heat element until a hole is created.

Insert your finger(s) through the hole and lift the inner/outer heat element material (3) away from the trim cover material.

Use scissors and/or a razor blade to create a 20 to 25 cm (8 to 10 inch) opening (4) in the middle of the factory heat element.

7) Insert the inner or outer heat element (8), with the backing paper side up, between the trim cover material and the factory heat element material (7).

Ensure the service heat element is laying flat, is tucked into each corner and extends to each side.

Carefully remove the backing paper from the service heat element.

8 ) Use 3M® Highland Cloth Duct Tape, P/N 06969, or equivalent, to cover the opening.

9) On trim covers with three heat elements, connect the inner and outer heat element 2-way white connectors to the center heat element harness.

10) Install the seat trim cover. Refer to the appropriate seat trim cover installation procedure in the Seats sub-section of the Service Manual.

11) Assemble the seat assembly.

12) Place the seat assembly inside the vehicle. DO NOT install at this time.

13) Verify the seat heat function is operational.

14) Complete the seat assembly installation. Refer to the appropriate seat replacement procedure in the Seats sub-section of the Service Manual.

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Archived