CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Programming keyless remote

Caddynut

Since my Seville came with only 1 remote, I have purchased a decent used remote and was told that I have to have a tech-2 scan tool to program it. Should I just take it to a dealer and have them do it, or is there another way. I also bought a couple of transponder keys...any suggestions? Thanks.

2008 BMW 328xi

2007 Chrysler Aspen

2001 Cadillac Seville STS

2000 Ford Ranger XLT
1998 Mitsubishi Spyder Convertible

1996 Saturn SC-1
1991 Ford F-150
1979 Chevrolet Caprice
1968 Ford LTD
1965 VW Beetle "Herbie The Love Bug Replica**

1961 VW Beetle

Try this with your "new" remote; push and hold both the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons at the same time and hold for 7 seconds. These instructions are molded into the inside of the remote case. If that does not work, you are off to the dealer.

FYI, there is no programming to the remote; all you are doing is programming the RKE receiver in the car to acknowledge the remote data stream.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

thanks, I will try and cross my fingers.

2008 BMW 328xi

2007 Chrysler Aspen

2000 Ford Ranger XLT

1996 Saturn SC-1
1991 Ford F-150
1979 Chevrolet Caprice
1968 Ford LTD

1961 VW Beetle

Wasn't there something to do with the black wire in the trunk by the trunk lock? Thought I read a wee while back that you had to touch the wire to the RKE and then do something. Like 3 turns to the right with your finger on your nose. Just kidding on the last part but I'm sure a search will tell all.

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

• 2 weeks later...

1 SWITCH IGNITION TO THE ON POSITION 2 LOCATE PROGRAMING CONNECTOR AT BOTTOM OF TRUNK UNDERNEATH TRIM OR CARPET (OR BOTH) IT IS A PLASTIC CONNECTOR WITH ONE WIRE LEADING UP TO IT THAT IS "NOT" CONNECTED TO ANYTHING. IT SHOULD BE RIGHT UNDERNEATH THE TRUNK LATCH. 3 A GROUND THIS TERMINAL TO ANYTHING METAL AND KEEP IT GROUNDED UNTIL FINISHED PROGRAMMING. WITHIN 2 SECONDS OF GROUNDING THE CONNECTOR, THE DOOR LOCKS WILL CYCLE...LOCK THEN UNLOCK. PRESS THE UNLOCK BUTTON ON TRANSMITTER "TWO" TIMES PAUSING ONE SECOND BETWEEN EACH PRESS. DOOR LOCKS WILL CYCLE. PRESS UNLOCK BUTTON TWO TIMES AGAIN AND YOU'RE SET. REMOVE JUMPER WIRE AND TURN OFF IGNITION. THIS WILL SAVE YOU FROM THE DEALER'S BS AND CHARGES. HOPE THIS WORKS FOR YOU...... CABOCURT

Wasn't there something to do with the black wire in the trunk by the trunk lock? Thought I read a wee while back that you had to touch the wire to the RKE and then do something. Like 3 turns to the right with your finger on your nose. Just kidding on the last part but I'm sure a search will tell all.

You might be closer than you think. You forgot to click your heals three times, however.

OBDI cars thru 1995 can have their RKEs programmed by the owner. OBDII and later cars sadly have to visit the dealership for programming of the RKEs via a Tech II. Bummer.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

well...looks like a trip to the dealer for the keyless remote...but the keys were a cakewalk to program!!!

2008 BMW 328xi

2007 Chrysler Aspen

2000 Ford Ranger XLT

1996 Saturn SC-1
1991 Ford F-150
1979 Chevrolet Caprice
1968 Ford LTD

1961 VW Beetle

OBDI cars thru 1995 can have their RKEs programmed by the owner. OBDII and later cars sadly have to visit the dealership for programming of the RKEs via a Tech II. Bummer.

Regards,

Warren

I did it for my '97, so not all OBD-IIs are created equal. Had to use the HVAC panel and the FOBs. However, it is true that DIY options are steadily diminishing and sadly pointing in the direction of sealed engine compartments. <_<

Archived