CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Can America build luxury cars?

http://www.businessweek.com/autos/content/...opStories_ssi_5

At January's North American International Auto Show in Detroit, Cadillac debuted its new 2008 CTS sedan. Coming on the heels of several successful Caddy designs in recent years, most notably its Escalade sport-utility vehicle, Cadillac has seen a resurgence in sales and consumer appeal. The company has finally been able to once again attract a younger, more affluent audience.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

My 2 cents

Why do we consider information from a business magazine as gospel, they are pandering to their advertisers, nothing like a marketing major reflecting on engineering.

Would you consider investing/business information from Car & driver, how creditable would MOtor trends top ten stocks be, car craft retirement planing guide. The BS from this magazine amazes me I never agree with their automotive picks, most of the vehicle are not even rated in the top 10 for quality. they mention benz, and the 3series BMW both way over hyped.

I don't think we consider it gospel, its just nice to see the drive by media begin to turn positive, but they are perched waiting for a mis-step. I mentioned in another thread that one of the negatives mentioned in the past was the cheap appearance of the CTS interior, you have to give credit to GM for addressing that.

I think it goes to show that these magazines are like SHEEP, they see the CTS interior getting awards and NOW all the rags will jump on the band wagon.

They mention BMW because they have doubled the CTS sales with 106,000 3-series cars vs. 54,846 CTS's....but as usual they compare apples to oranges :angry: the 3-series offers SEDANS, COUPES and SPORTS WAGONS! Does anyone think they ONLY compared the CTS sales number to the 3-series SEDAN sales? Not likely.... Cadillac is working hard to change impressions and I think its happening..

They didnt like the XLR though did they..and they made strong negative statements against it. But they fail to note that as a two seater, it competes directly with the Mercedes Benz SL class that ranges from $95,000 for a 382 HP model to $186,000 for a 600 HP model that I am sure has the same storage space issues.. You can BET that the CTS interior success will flow into the XLR!!!

The problem I have with the XLR is that you can buy a Corvette for much less that has more or less the same performance and technology. Considering that the Corvette is made with many of the same components and has 400 HP...I can see potential buyers running to the Corvette.

What stops them from pricing the XLR at the Vette's price?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

What stops them from pricing the XLR at the Vette's price?

Cache.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

My 2 cents

Why do we consider information from a business magazine as gospel, they are pandering to their advertisers, nothing like a marketing major reflecting on engineering.

Would you consider investing/business information from Car & driver, how creditable would MOtor trends top ten stocks be, car craft retirement planing guide. The BS from this magazine amazes me I never agree with their automotive picks, most of the vehicle are not even rated in the top 10 for quality. they mention benz, and the 3series BMW both way over hyped.

The truth is ALL mags pander to their advertisers...

Car & Driver :wub: (in order) BMW, Lexus, Honda/Acura.

Motor Trend :wub: (in order) Toyota, Chrysler, GM

CarCraft :wub: anything built before 1972 that has at least 5 litres under the hood (7.5L preferred)

I could go on...

At one point or another, over the years I have subscribed to them all... ALL of them have POed me with very BLATANT biases. One of the worst is Car & Driver. I cancelled my subscription to this mag after I realized I didn't need to read their comparisons... I could guess the outcomes based on a very obvious bias... And my "predictions" of their tests was right over 95% of the time... The only thing in doubt was which car came in last and which car came in second to last.

I would say the VERY WORST of the bunch is Con-sumer Reports. This rag panders to subscribers.... They write comparisons that will get the most new readers to subscribe to their rag. Their tests are pure lunacy.

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

I would say the VERY WORST of the bunch is Con-sumer Reports. This rag panders to subscribers.... They right comparisons that will get the most new readers to subscribe to their rag. There tests are pure lunacy.

It's a real racket, that CR. They proudly say they work for their subscribers, therefore they have no biases or subjectivity (and people believe it). That's perhaps one of the biggest sources of bias out there (working for your customers). You tell them what they want to hear, and what they expect to hear. That's a HUGE source of subjectivity, and all media has it. But CR has the panache to actually advertise that, and somehow keep people from realizing the obvious.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I would say the VERY WORST of the bunch is Con-sumer Reports. This rag panders to subscribers.... They right comparisons that will get the most new readers to subscribe to their rag. There tests are pure lunacy.

It's a real racket, that CR. They proudly say they work for their subscribers, therefore they have no biases or subjectivity (and people believe it). That's perhaps one of the biggest sources of bias out there (working for your customers). You tell them what they want to hear, and what they expect to hear. That's a HUGE source of subjectivity, and all media has it. But CR has the panache to actually advertise that, and somehow keep people from realizing the obvious.

Well put, Jason.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

ONYXSTS....is reading from my play book....I agree on all points...

CR lists vehicles no technician in his right mind would buy....isn't that a factor to consider??

compare a 45k$ vehicle to a 25K$ vehicle without pointing out you get a pretensious often in shop brand name, with leather steering wheel a half second faster harder to insure all for the 30K$ more.

ie. no warranty and the Idrive on their bmw is inop........ Ca Ching , technician gets a new boat....

The Corvette VS XLR thing is somewhat mute. The Corvette's ride (especially the ZO6) in every magazine I've read has been described as great for the weekend get away but much to harsh for daily driving. The XLR on the otherhand gets the opposite and says it rides smooth as silk but also can perform like a sports car.

The XLR is the 70,000 Luxury Roadster of GM, The XLR-V is the 100,000 Luxury Performance Roadster, 50,000 Corvette is pure sports car, 70,000 Z06 is the Affordable supercar.

So if you want a coupe with... Speed, Corvette Z06, if you want Luxury, XLR, if you want the best of both worlds, the XLRV is the way to go. Mainly its for the upper class who don't want to be in a "Chevy".

At least thats how I see it.

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

• 3 weeks later...

Archived