CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

European Car Quality Woes

WarrenJ

Boy am I ticked!

Driving home from work at 9:30pm this evening I listened to the ABC Radio Network news. They reported that European cars, especially Mercedes, were suffering quality problems.

To drive the point home the news reader said, "they even rank below domestic autos." Whodda thunk it would ever get that bad?

Sheesh! The big three just can't contain their prejudices.

Regards,

Warren

EDIT: By "big three" I meant the broadcast networks. See below.

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Not really the big three anymore since Chrysler is technically Mercedes. Where do they get their numbers for domestic being so unreliable? I know Ford is, but I don't think GM is THAT bad.

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

Chrysler is still under Mercedes, right?

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

Sorry, I wasn't clear. By "big three" I was referring to the broadcast networks. Apologies.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

:lol:

I misunderstood a bit!

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

:lol:

I misunderstood a bit!

I made that easy for you to do.

Posted Image

Everyone gets their "data" from different sources, and the "data" is both 1) relative; and 2) subjective.

The best make might show a dealer visit rate of .3 visits per year per car. The worst make might show a dealer visit rate of 1 visit per year per car. That's a 300% difference (wow, must be a big difference). But the real difference to you and me...0.7 visits per dealer...probably doesn't account for much. That's what I mean by "relative".

The data is also completely subjective, at least in certain cases. I've taken Consumer Reports' auto surveys before, and the questions are completely open-ended, up to interpretation, and subject to the will of the person answering the question. There's no data validation there at all. It's simply a perception of opinion. But they get off by calling it "statistics". Unfortunately, most people aren't with it enough to know the difference, and take that trash as gospel.

Edit/addition:

Chrysler is still a part of DaimlerChrysler. And I don't think ANY auto make out there could be characterized as "unreliable". Survival of the fittest, market pressure, whatever you want to call it...anyone truly putting out junk will not survive. You can see that from past in makes like the old Hyundai from the 1980s and '90s. They pretty much disappeared until they could get reorganized or refunded or whatever. Nisssan would have probably folded in if it weren't for the backing of Renault who turned their product around. Chrysler was also saved in the 1980s by a large government loan (which has long been paid off). Mercedes ruined the company when it purchased it in the late 1990s. Chrysler was one of the most on-course and profitable of the domestic three at the time; it was simply a cash-grab for Mercedes, and now they're trying to throw out the carcass.

If Ford (or any of the domestic three) were really putting out trash, they still wouldn't be here. I've personally owned cars from all of the domestic three and they've all been great cars.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I think it is a overall media prejudice against anything everything about the USA.

consumerr reports et al, would not rather not report on an americian vehicle than report in a positive way.

Case in point....two vehicles both 1/4mile et & speed same.

acceleration asian model excellant, domestic model fair....??

You think someone in the US would be a little nicer to the domestic car companies. What gain to they get by putting down domestic cars and promoting foreign ones?

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

No, it's quite normal actually. The Japanese luxury market is saturated with Mercedes, BMW, etc while Lexus is having a hard time. The British media does seem a bit more friendly to native British autos, but they have good reason to be -- there are so few left that they need a bit of tending.

But our local media is more likely to favor international brands so as not to appear locally biased.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

No, it's quite normal actually. The Japanese luxury market is saturated with Mercedes, BMW, etc while Lexus is having a hard time. The British media does seem a bit more friendly to native British autos, but they have good reason to be -- there are so few left that they need a bit of tending.

I suppose that's understandable to an extent. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. They've made good allies after all.

But our local media is more likely to favor international brands so as not to appear locally biased.

That smacks of "political correctness," something I'm growing increasingly weary of . . .

Regards,

Warren

EDIT: There's nothing wrong with "local bias." Let's remember: It's not bragging if you can do it. We can.

Posted Image

That smacks of "political correctness," something I'm growing increasingly weary of . . .

Regards,

Warren

When I dropped Cablevision they asked me why. I said, one week after 9/11 you told your Channel 12 news anchors to remove their American Flag lapel pins, that was all it took...Once I had an OPTION (VERIZON FIOS for TV, PHONE and INTERNET) they were history. The person that took my information said she hears that ALL THE TIME that demanding removal of the flag upset people! GOOD! This IS the US....

Look at this:

Channel 12 News in Long Island, New York, orders flags remove from the newsroom and red, white, and blue ribbons removed from the lapels of reporters.

News 12 announced a policy of no flag lapel pins or ribbons in order to protect the station's credibility as an impartial news provider.

Patrick Dolan, senior vice president of Cablevision Systems Corporation in charge of News 12 said, "We don't want anyone to get the false impression that our patriotic emotions cloud our reporting of the facts."

News 12 now allows its reporters and news anchor to wear red, white and blue ribbons.

There has been a backlash

http://tafkac.org/ulz/patriotism.html

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

GM just reorganized to encourage dealers to package Buick with Pontiac and GMC. Cadillac/Hummer/Saab is a similarly encouraged package I believe.

I would vastly prefer that they packaged Buick with Cadillac; make Buick more of a Lasalle brand -- the working man's Cadillac.

Also I would like to see GM publish total numbers by segment -- total luxury vehicle production for example would add Cadillac, Buick, Hummer, Corvette, Saab, and models from other brands. I am tired of reading articles that compare only Cadillac to brand X.

Finally, keep one main car line name like the Chevrolet Impala, then if you want to produce a 2-door variant, call it the Chevrolet Impala Monte Carlo Edition (or whatever). But total production numbers should reflect the total for that platform; the current approach of having a different car name for each option kit penalizes GM in reports that show total production by car model.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Mike,

The day after the Dolan son issued that edict Cablevision owner Charles Dolan announced the distribution of American flag pins to all employees. In less than a week nearly all 25,000 folk at Cablevision sported those pins.

Would you like to have been a fly on the wall at that family dinner conversation?

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

GM just reorganized to encourage dealers to package Buick with Pontiac and GMC. Cadillac/Hummer/Saab is a similarly encouraged package I believe.

I would vastly prefer that they packaged Buick with Cadillac; make Buick more of a Lasalle brand -- the working man's Cadillac.

Also I would like to see GM publish total numbers by segment -- total luxury vehicle production for example would add Cadillac, Buick, Hummer, Corvette, Saab, and models from other brands. I am tired of reading articles that compare only Cadillac to brand X.

Finally, keep one main car line name like Malibu, then if you want to produce a 2-door variant, call it a Malibu Monte Carlo (or whatever). But total production numbers should reflect the total for that platform; the current approach of having a different car name for each option kit penalizes GM in reports that show total production by car model.

That was my point in this thread >> http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=12845 when I said:

Business Week states that BMW had doubled the CTS sales with 106,000 3-series cars vs. 54,846 CTS's....but as usual they compare apples to oranges the 3-series offers SEDANS, COUPES and SPORTS WAGONS! Does anyone think they ONLY compared the CTS sales number to the 3-series SEDAN sales? Not likely....

Mike,

The day after the Dolan son issued that edict Cablevision owner Charles Dolan announced the distribution of American flag pins to all employees. In less than a week nearly all 25,000 folk at Cablevision sported those pins.

Would you like to have been a fly on the wall at that family dinner conversation?

Regards,

Warren

How incredibly stupid for a LOCAL YOLKLE station to take a stand like that.... but then again, no one could be that stupid, its politics on display.

Don't get my started with, PRESS 1 for ENGLISH..... :angry::lol:

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Archived