CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Rear Shocks for 98 Seville STS

Saddletramp

Has anyone heard of or used Arnott Industries for their shocks?

Found them through Ebay. Both rear shocks for 280.00 Fronts the same.

Called them up and They gaurantee them to fit as OEM. They are out of Cape Canaveral Fla.

web address arnottindustries.com

Any comments or advice appreciated, just trying save the elusive dollar. B)

Many folk here have expressed satisfaction with Arnott shocks and struts. I can't recall any negative reports.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Just be aware that although they fit as OEM they don't function as OEM. You will no longer have your road sensing suspension. Many feel that this is acceptable compared to buying new electronic shocks and struts, however.

Charles

Charles

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone heard of or used Arnott Industries for their shocks?

Found them through Ebay. Both rear shocks for 280.00 Fronts the same.

Called them up and They gaurantee them to fit as OEM. They are out of Cape Canaveral Fla.

web address arnottindustries.com

Any comments or advice appreciated, just trying save the elusive dollar. B)

I work for Arnott. Our replacements will bolt in the same, but if you have electronic suspension, ours are not electronic. This part # is on BO for about another week. thank you, Lisa

Lisa, nice to have an "insider" on the board! Whom does Arnott purchase their dampers from? Or do they engineer their own, with specific valving? I'm just wondering how, technologically, your shocks and struts compare to the various selections out there for "conventional" vehicles, like Monroe Reflex, Monroe Sensa Trak, Gabriel, etc.

Thanks

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Why exactly are the shocks so dang expensive (OEM ones). I have a clunk from my drivers side one and they are about $600 to replace. I love staying OEM, but it's difficult when they are that spendy.

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

The shocks are electronic. Continuously Variable Road Sensing Suspension. The car continuously reads the road through the suspension position sensors and constantly changes the shock damping to adjust to conditions. The dampers on my '97 are original, and you really can't tell a difference in the damping. But you can certainly tell on the '01. At parking lot speeds, the struts go full soft I believe, because the suspension will hit the jounce bumpers when going over large speed bumps. But at speed, it's tight and handles like it's on rails.

It's hard to justify new electronic struts from GM when you can buy a complete kit with all four from an aftermarket source like Arnott for the same price. If I ever need new dampers for the '01, I'll probably do just that (Arnott).

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Why exactly are the shocks so dang expensive (OEM ones). I have a clunk from my drivers side one and they are about $600 to replace. I love staying OEM, but it's difficult when they are that spendy.

There are several things that can cause noise other than a failed strut.

The rubber insulators on each end of the springs to prevent metal to metal contact.

The thrust bearing inside the strut mount.

Strut shaft not torqued properly to strut mount.

Strut mount not torqued properly to strut tower.

Bottom strut bolts not torqued properly to knuckle.

When I replaced my struts at 146,000 miles, they were not making any clunking noise at all. Nor were they damping any rebound at all.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Hmmm...I suppose I should pull my wheel and see what's up.

It seems to do it more when it's cold. And it seems to do it less when there is more weight on that side. ie- a person.

It'll be warm this weekend so I'll check it out.

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

Archived