CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Power steering Issue

speedyman_2

Well I just got back from a vacation last night and I get in the Caddy and the power steering is whining like crazy about 3 miles down the road. Finally get to a gas station and it's completely empty. This was at 11pm so I couldn't really see anything. Just trying to get a heads up on what you guys think it would be. I had high pressure hose replaced not long ago which cost me $200 alone. If this is the problem again I'm going to go crazy!!!! Get in it this morning and the fluid level seems the same. But, here's what it looks like. Which hose is this? Is it the high pressure like I'm thinking :unsure: I'd really hate to pay for that hose again!!

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

That is the high pressure line. To see if it's leaking, stick your head in there while someone rocks the steering wheel back and forth a little (engine running at idle). If you are loosing steering fluid, it has to be going somewhere.

The oily dirty portion at the bottom looks suspicious, but that could be engine oil from the crankcase half or the timing chain cover that is blown around by road draft.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

That is the high pressure line. To see if it's leaking, stick your head in there while someone rocks the steering wheel back and forth a little (engine running at idle). If you are loosing steering fluid, it has to be going somewhere.

The oily dirty portion at the bottom looks suspicious, but that could be engine oil from the crankcase half or the timing chain cover that is blown around by road draft.

I was thinking about doing that. I need another person though. I was thinking it might be oil, but nothing is nearly as wet around the hose. Only the hose is. Where's a cheaper place to get the hose. I bought this one from Cadillac last time and it was just too much money. Especially since it's leaking so soon.

IPB Image

I bought mine from Brasington in Gainesville; part #26073568, $108.00. They will have to charge you sales tax.

Did not even consider not using GM parts.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I had high pressure hose replaced not long ago which cost me $200 alone.

I bought this one from Cadillac last time and it was just too much money. Especially since it's leaking so soon.

Thanks for the info. I just found my old receipt and this GM hose only lasted 43,000 miles since I replaced it. This will be the 3rd hose on this car. I'm not happy about this.

So how long does it take you to go 43,000 mi, because you had it replaced not long ago and it's leaking so soon. You didn't say "when" it was replaced.

I had high pressure hose replaced not long ago which cost me $200 alone.

I bought this one from Cadillac last time and it was just too much money. Especially since it's leaking so soon.

Thanks for the info. I just found my old receipt and this GM hose only lasted 43,000 miles since I replaced it. This will be the 3rd hose on this car. I'm not happy about this.

So how long does it take you to go 43,000 mi, because you had it replaced not long ago and it's leaking so soon. You didn't say "when" it was replaced.

Had to find my receipt.

7/12/2005

Does it really matter? Should I be ready to go on a 3rd pressure hose?? The original lasted 97,000 miles and now this second one lasted about 43,000 miles.

IPB Image

Does it matter? No, I'm just curious. Should you be on your third hose? No, my 95 still has the original.

Doesn't sound normal, I would check that it's mounted correctly, somethings not right.

My car is 9.5 years old and all the power steering gear is original, even the fluid. Something is moving that hose around, or it wasn't properly installed.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

My car is 9.5 years old and all the power steering gear is original, even the fluid. Something is moving that hose around, or it wasn't properly installed.

Jim, didn't you have your engine replaced ? Usually you have to disconnect the power steering lines to do that. I doubt they saved the fluid and put it back in so the fluid must have been replaced.

Didn't you have your engine replaced ? Usually you have to disconnect the power steering lines to do that. I doubt they saved the fluid and put it back in so the fluid must have been replaced.

I did. But the first replacememt was done after then engine replacement.

IPB Image

Archived