CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

CTS VLOG: OnStar Voice Recognition

Bruce Nunnally

Here is my latest video log try -- a drive and discussion/demo of OnStar Voice Recognition, along with other Cadillac topics.

<embed style="width:400px; height:326px;" id="VideoPlayback" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=-4402729312913680802&hl=en" flashvars=""> </embed>

12 minutes, no commercials.

This one has the Cruisecam and camera higher in the CTS, and a clean windshield.

Bruce

2016 Cadillac ATS-V gray/black

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Great video Bruce. I applaud your effort for us. Perhaps the voice recognition programers are from New England and dont regonize a Texan.

Sorta reminds of a car I rented not long ago that had voice recognition for the radio. I said "country" and it switched to a country station. Same w/ rock & then easy listening. As I was cruising along a woman cut me off and I yelled "Stupid Bi*ch" and the radio changed to Dr. Laura.

Go figure.....

very nice, I could see my father arguing with the voice system :P

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

Hey Bruce,

At least I am not the only one that the Voice Recognition doesn't like. I have tried to add numbers and voice tags to my phone. It does NOT like my Southern / Texan drawl. :( I finally got my sons number in it after several minutes and probably 20 tries. I gave up. Later called On Star and talked to a nice lady there. She real tactfully suggested that I let someone else do it that did not have such an accent. :)

May try that. Sha also said that it was picky about the number SEVEN being pronounced correctly. She said to pronounce it like it had 2 sylabals ... se-VEN and stress the last one. Have not tried it yet. Still mad at it because it can't understand me. :)

Posted Image

It recognizes my son's voice somewhat better than mine. I don't have any trouble with entering numbers, as I normally do that while parked, and it seems to have much better luck if there is less background noise. I also find that if I lean up closer to the microphone my results improve, which supports my noise theory, and my needs more mic coverage theory. I should have done some of the video while parked instead of moving along in traffic.

Overall for normal day to day use the voice recognition works well for me, as I use Call then "Home Base" or "Wife Cell" or similar voice tags, which are well recognized. The video results came across as more critical than I intended really; I think the hands free phone is a nice feature, and I don't mind working through the voice recognition.

With regard to accents however, I feel the voice recognition needs to be able to work through that. I would be willing to run through a training script if they had that interface available to help teach the recognition software in my CTS my accent.

Bruce

Also added a video portal on livevideo.com here:

http://www.livevideo.com/caddyinfo

So if you post Cadillac video's there pls let me know and I'll link them also. Spent a lot of time experimenting with compression codecs and process, but should have more video online soon.

Bruce

Archived