CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

P0300: coolant cause?

joeb

I am just mentioning my ongoing issue with coolant loss. I fairly certain it is the HG but I really want to wait till it warms up to do them. I flat out don't have 3k for a shop to do it. the car is in great shape. amethyst paint, excellent leather and always babied. we are driving it as little as possible. it starts with a bad shake and will throw a P0300 about once a week. after 1 min of idling, it will settle down and drive fine. no overheat and runs well. but it looses a qt. of coolant/week. the code is fairly new. maybe in the last month. I have not checked the cyl's for holding pressure since i read that some cars test out well and still have a HG issue. i am debating looking for a used motor since it would be a faster job to replace the motor and i would not have to buy a timesert kit or R&R the heads or set the timing. just an update.

Last year I purchased Autotap. I like their tech papers, check this one out on misfires and you will see the organized steps taken to diagnose a misfire:

http://www.autotap.com/Articles/Engine_Misfire_UC.html

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I am very leery of used engines. Every engine in a junkyard has 60,000 miles on it! Where are all these 60K cars that get wrecked?

Even though you'll have a couple of extra days doing the HG's I'd recommend going that way. Start looking for a used timesert kit now and get all the other tools and parts you'll need ready. As soon as it warms up you'll be ready to go...in your area that's July 30th to August 2nd I believe. :lol:

a friend works part-time at a garage. he hates northstars. he thinks i should buy a used motor and do the headgaskets and than do the swap. than fix my motor and sell it along with the timesert kit. like i have time to do 2 HG jobs! i think bigcat said it took him several months to do his job. if we had a spare car, i could take my time. my brother has a 40X80 shop but its 80 miles away. i can use his shop but the travel time would really stretch out the job.

Depending on your garage you should be able to do it in about 10 days if you have a second person to help part of the time.

Getting a used engine and prepping it is a good idea. The problem is being certain you are getting a decent engine. I definitely would do the HG's on a used engine.

What size garage do you have? Air compressor?

That is what I did. I still have the motor from my 97 STS and a timesert kit. If you are interested in going that way let me know.

Dennis

a friend works part-time at a garage. he hates northstars. he thinks i should buy a used motor and do the headgaskets and than do the swap. than fix my motor and sell it along with the timesert kit. like i have time to do 2 HG jobs! i think bigcat said it took him several months to do his job. if we had a spare car, i could take my time. my brother has a 40X80 shop but its 80 miles away. i can use his shop but the travel time would really stretch out the job.

Dennis

If you can get a decent used motor do the Timeserts and HGs before you install it, then swap motors.

My job took so long because I only had a few hours each weekend to work, I made many other repairs to my car while it was all apart and I didn't have room enough in my garage to roll the cradle out from under the car, which was the greatest cause of my heartburn.

Archived