CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Intermittent Starting Problem

chazglenn3

The latest issue with my car is a problem with the Passkey III system. I believe the problem is a loose connection on the transponder reader attached to the ignition cylinder. Sometimes when I try to start the car I get nothing but lights followed by "Service Theft System" on the DIC. The codes are VTD B2955 and B3055. Whan the car won't start, I can tap on the dash around the ignition keyhole and then the car will start, thus my loose connection theory. Anyone been in there before?

Charles

Charles

B2955 Security System Sensor Data Circuit Malfunction

B3055 Key Not Present

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Its possible that the contacts are dirty, try a little WD40 on your key and move the key in and out to distribute the WD40 on the contacts (the resistor contacts)... assuming you have the resistor... I would do that a few times to try to clean the contacts..

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

No resistor. This is the transponder key. I just came in from the garage and could not find any glaring defects. The wire bundle that runs to the VTD module was caught between a bracket and looked pinched, so I rerouted it. On my way back out to put things back together. While I was under there, I decided to take a look at the cabin air filter area...no way I am going to attempt that one! I opened the door and huge amounts of dirt/dust fell out. I just put the door back and I think I'll have the dealer do that one.

Charles

Charles

DTC B2955 Security System Sensor Data CKT Malf

Refer to Theft Deterrent System Schematics Cell 133: PASS-Key

Circuit Description

The Theft Deterrent (VTD) Module monitors the key code terminal B, CKT 1836 (YEL). The VTD module monitors this input to determine if it is within a valid operating range.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

The VTD module has set DTC B3055 current and has detected that CKT 1836 (YEL) is shorted to battery for approximately 1 seconds or more.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

Stores a DTC B2955 in the VTD module memory.

No driver warning message will be displayed for this DTC.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC

The VTD module detects that CKT 1836 (YEL) is no longer shorted to battery for approximately 1 seconds or more.

A history DTC will clear after 50 consecutive ignition cycles if the condition for the malfunction is no longer present.

Use the On-Boards clearing DTCs feature.

Use a scan tool.

Diagnostic Aids

Check circuit 1836 (YEL) for a short to battery or an open.

Test Description

The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table:

1) Perform the Theft Deterrent System Diagnostic System Check before continuing with the diagnosis of this DTC.

2) Determines whether the malfunction is in the VTD module.

3) Determines whether the malfunction is in the circuit or the reader exciter.

7) Clear all DTCs after the repair procedure is complete.

DTC B3055 Key Not Present

Circuit Description

The Theft Deterrent (VTD) Module performs an internal test to determine if a key is present every 300 milliseconds. If the test determines that a key is not present the VTD module will indicate a no key present condition.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

At the beginning of the ignition cycle the VTD module detects a invalid coded key.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

Stores a DTC B3055 in the VTD module memory.

Security indicator is illuminated.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC

The VTD module detects a key.

A history DTC will clear after 50 consecutive ignition cycles if the condition for the malfunction is no longer present.

Use the On-Boards clearing DTCs feature.

Use a scan tool.

Diagnostic Aids

Check all vehicle ignition keys and inspect the key(s) for damage.

Test Description

The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table:

1) Perform the Theft Deterrent System Diagnostic System Check before continuing with the diagnosis of this DTC.

2) Clear all DTCs and cycle ignition to check that the DTC did not falsely set.

4) Clear all DTCs after the repair procedure is complete.

Theft Deterrent Control Module Replacement

Removal Procedure

The replacement PASS-Key® III (VTD) modules are manufactured to be able to learn the FIRST key that is used to start the vehicle. When learning the first key, simply insert the ignition key and turn the ignition ON.

IPB Image

1) Remove the driver side sound insulator. Refer to Closeout/Insulator Panel Replacement - Left or Closeout/Insulator Panel Replacement - Right in Instrument Panel Gauges and Console.

2) Remove the electrical connector from the module.

3) Move the bottom of the module (3) towards the brake pedal first and then slide down from the bracket (2).

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Thanks Mike! I read that in my FSM also, and that is when I was able to located the pinched wire bundle. The bundle was pinched between the plastic VTD module mount and a metal bracket. However, the wire bundle was wrapped in black electrical tape and I couldn't see if the yellow wire was damaged. I ran out of time (had to leave for work) and rerouted the bundle and put the car back together. Started right up when I left for work, so perhaps it is now fixed. I'll keep you posted.

Charles

Charles

Archived