CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

What's your RPM run between 70-75?

95SevilleSLS

My 02 STS runs about 2400-2500 around 73 or so. What does yours run at?

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

1997 ETC, about 2400 rpm at 73 mph.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

The FWD 3.71 transaxle (STS, DTS, ETC) runs about 2300-2400 as mentioned at 75.

The FWD 3.11 tranaxle (SLS, DeVille, ESC) should turn about 2000 at 75.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

These STS really needs another gear.

2003 Seville STS 43k miles with the Bose Sound, Navigation System, HID Headlamps, and MagneRide

1993 DeVille. Looks great inside and out! 298k miles!

IPB Image

Yes, it KILLS me that Cadillac has not packaged the new 6speed automatic in the DTS. They have it in 252hp FWD 3.6L V6 cars now, but of course the 4.6L northstar would be different.

Bruce

2016 Cadillac ATS-V gray/black

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I thought my SLS was a little lower in rpms at 70. That kind of blows.

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

Yes, it KILLS me that Cadillac has not packaged the new 6speed automatic in the DTS. They have it in 252hp FWD 3.6L V6 cars now, but of course the 4.6L northstar would be different.

Seems that only the rear wheel drive cars/SRX have the 6 speed. Front wheel drive is lagging behind at this point.

Folks,

I don't think RPM can be directly correlated to fuel efficiency or mileage.

Throttle position or fuel flow at 73 (flat, no wind) might be more relavant.

What I mean is, a given vehicle might have more or less RPMs, but the fuel required to maintain the RPM at that load factor is the real issue.

Higher numbers of tranny gears can certainly help optimize load factors to a relatively narrow operating band, but ultimatley - weight at first and then gravity, road/air resisitance are the big variables to overcome.

I'm also certain I am over-simpliefing a humongous amount of engineering with just 1 Black Russianand a few glasses of cheap wine... :blink:

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

From my understanding the main purpose of gears is to spread the power around, and our cars do that just fine...but it would be nice to have one more overdrive and get closer to that 30mpg mark, but still 2000 rpm at 70ish MPH is pretty good in my book.

It most likely the didn't do it because the FWD 4.6 is looking to discontinued (but then agian thats not till 2010) so that may be in store for its mid-cycle refresh.

Its funny to watch the Nissan shift 2.0 commercial with the 'new' no shift shock transmission...my budies always ask "so did they take your caddy's trans and put it in there?" :P

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

A closer spacing between the gears would be appreciated I think. A good 5-speed automatic would work nicely behind a Northstar engine. I'd rather have a closer spacing between the 5 gears rather than an additional overdrive gear...or at least couple a shorter final drive ratio with another overdrive gear to achieve the same top gear ratio while providing a better launch.

The CVTs are really nice units, at least the ones I've driven. I've driven an Ford Escape Hybrid and a Nissan Murano. Both were very smooth and I was really impressed. You can always have the engine directly in its powerband, which is the goal of the ever-increasing number of gear ratios in todays automatics (we started with 2 speeds, long time ago, now we're up to 8 speeds in the new Lexus LS460). 4 speeds works well with a good torquey engine, but I think 5 would work real nice...or just give us a CVT.

Oh, I wasn't concerned about gas mileage. I just like it when my tach isn't so high. All the other GM's I've owned usually hang out around 2 grand at 70. This STS is the only one that has been at 2500. If you figure it out, that's a lot more rpms in it's lifetime compared to a vehicle that runs at 2000. But, it's the northstar, so it's not like it's going to have any problems!

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

Oh, I wasn't concerned about gas mileage. I just like it when my tach isn't so high.

You should see my 1970 Trans Am, 3600 RPM @ 70 MPH and is does suck down the fuel.

Jim

Ooohhh!! 70 T/A!!! Tell me more!!!

RAIII? 3.73s? 4 speed?

95 Eldo---Sold!

05 STS4-WooHoo!!!!!

I'm guessing 350 tranny with 4.10 gears??

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

Oh, I wasn't concerned about gas mileage. I just like it when my tach isn't so high.

You should see my 1970 Trans Am, 3600 RPM @ 70 MPH and is does suck down the fuel.

Jim

Ooohhh!! 70 T/A!!! Tell me more!!!

RAIII? 3.73s? 4 speed?

... with a close ratio Muncie 4 Speed, complete with a 12 bolt, positive traction rear-end. Blue w/ White Stripes.

Jim

MY 95SLS WITH THE STS DRIVE TRAIN RUNS AT 2,600 RPMS AT 75. THAT IS DUE TO MY TIRE SIZE. I AM RUNNING 225-50-16 FOR TIRES. THE TIRE IS SLIGHTLY SMALL THAN STOCK. I DID THAT FOR QUICKER ACCELERATION ON THE DRAG STRIP. I AM AVERAGING 20.5 MPG COMBINATION HIGHWAY AND CITY.

• 1 month later...

A closer spacing between the gears would be appreciated I think. A good 5-speed automatic would work nicely behind a Northstar engine. I'd rather have a closer spacing between the 5 gears rather than an additional overdrive gear...or at least couple a shorter final drive ratio with another overdrive gear to achieve the same top gear ratio while providing a better launch.

The CVTs are really nice units, at least the ones I've driven. I've driven an Ford Escape Hybrid and a Nissan Murano. Both were very smooth and I was really impressed. You can always have the engine directly in its powerband, which is the goal of the ever-increasing number of gear ratios in todays automatics (we started with 2 speeds, long time ago, now we're up to 8 speeds in the new Lexus LS460). 4 speeds works well with a good torquey engine, but I think 5 would work real nice...or just give us a CVT.

I agree I just purchased a 2006 Nissan maxima with the CVT tranny, I love how smooth this is always keeps the motor in it's powerband. I love the CVT technology I heard it was developed around from the late 60s.

It's strange how much stuff was actually developed so long ago, but is not just getting perfected. Like the displacement on demand actually came out in 79, but the computers were too slow for it so it failed, horribly. Now it came back and it's flawless in the 5.3s and 3.9s.

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

MY 95SLS WITH THE STS DRIVE TRAIN RUNS AT 2,600 RPMS AT 75. THAT IS DUE TO MY TIRE SIZE. I AM RUNNING 225-50-16 FOR TIRES. THE TIRE IS SLIGHTLY SMALL THAN STOCK. I DID THAT FOR QUICKER ACCELERATION ON THE DRAG STRIP. I AM AVERAGING 20.5 MPG COMBINATION HIGHWAY AND CITY.

You have an SLS engine with the STS transmission? I think that would be ideal. I bet that car moves out!

Archived