CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Dual exhaust on 02 STS

95SevilleSLS

I know the seville STS has dual exhaust closer to the back, but has anyone made dual exhaust from the engine back? Also, if anyone has, do you put the stock mufflers back on or some aftermarket ones, like flowmaster? I'd like a little more rumble/flow.

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

The Corsa exhaust would be your best bet, but it's pricey. I would not mess with duals all the way back. A single pipe flows as much as the engine can breathe anyway, especially with the stock intake and other peripherals. The mufflers could be changed to something a little freer probably, but you may pay for that in interior resonance or droning. In general, the more you pay for a system, the better engineered it'll be, and the more "engineered out" those annoyances will be. Putting your own system together, you're subject to the concept of trial and error, and that can get expensive if you don't like the results.

I was considering THINKING about the Corsa exhaust, but based on what I've read on "the other" Cadillac forum, it will tend to move your powerband UP in the RPM range, which isn't something I'm interested in. Compared to my SLS, the STS's powerband is already high enough in the RPM range, and I wouldn't want it any higher.

I kept waiting for the original exhaust to fall off on my '97 SLS so I could put on a set of mufflers, but it never showed the first rust spot. So I assume I'll have the stock exhaust on the '01 for...pretty much ever. :)

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Jason is right on running twins all the way back (the pipe is more than adequate) and what about the second converter? When my mufflers died I went with a set of Magnaflows, not loud but nice at idle (deeper sound and no cabin noise) but louder outside and not sure that's a good thing. Best advice is talk with somebody at a COMPITENT exhaust shop you think you can trust.

Good Luck, Joe

Just a note.

Sometimes too much exhaust can cause PCM calibration errors. Namely EGR codes.

Just a heads up before you put that 3 inch exhaust on. TOO much out flow can cause EGR codes.

I kept waiting for the original exhaust to fall off on my '97 SLS so I could put on a set of mufflers, but it never showed the first rust spot. So I assume I'll have the stock exhaust on the '01 for...pretty much ever. :)

Yeah, that stainless steel stuff really bites.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Just a note.

Sometimes too much exhaust can cause PCM calibration errors. Namely EGR codes.

Just a heads up before you put that 3 inch exhaust on. TOO much out flow can cause EGR codes.

I can vouch for that. Had new exhaust system installed on my 2002 Taurus 3.0 liter DOHC in 2003.

Did not listen to my exhaust guy and did not follow his recommendations.

I had him open up the end of the cat a little, ran 2 3/4 pipe all the way to the rear with "NO" resonator. Replaced the single muffler with 2 Magnaflow's. 2 3/4 in and out. By the way, factory was 1 3/4 to the SINGLE muffler and 1 1/2 out of the muffler. But I am paying for it and THIS is the way "I" want it.

BIG MISTAKE Lost all torque coming off the line. No power below 3000 / 3500 RPM. Above 4000 ran like the proverbial Spotted @#@ ape. But on takeoff, a little girl on a bicycle could beat you. :) Also had a drone in the cabin between 50 mph and 75 that would give you a headache after a while.

Took it back. Paid more money. Had a resonator installed. This helped a little on takeoff and pretty much stopped the drone in the cabin but still was a long way from RIGHT.

On his recomendation, disconnected the battery to try to get the computer to reset and learn the new configuration it had to deal with. After 4 or 5 times, leaving it disconnected overnight, it finally did relearn. Still not as much PUNCH from idle but by 2500 RPM it is HAULING. For a Taurus. Love to play with the little cars that make so much racket with the huge mufflers hanging under the back bumper.

Been wanting to put new mufflers on the '06 DTS Performance Sedan, but ...... :) don't want to go thru all that again. :)

Posted Image

Thanks for all your replies. I'll probably just leave my stock exhaust.

JasonA

I did notice that the STS has a high powerband. Is there anyway to get more power at take off?

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

JasonA

I did notice that the STS has a high powerband. Is there anyway to get more power at take off?

Nothing that I know of, short of installing an SLS engine and transaxle.

My '97 SLS had more punch down low. You can clearly see how the 275 hp engine has more power and torque down low:

http://www.jnjhome.net/cadillac/northstar.htm

Above 5000 rpm, the L37 (STS engine) screams. My '97 SLS would upshift at about 5900 rpm. The STS will go all the way to 6500-6600 rpm before it shifts. The STS is definitely more of a race car, especially at higher speeds, but the SLS had it around town.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

JasonA

Nothing that I know of, short of installing an SLS engine and transaxle.

My '97 SLS had more punch down low. You can clearly see how the 275 hp engine has more power and torque down low:

http://www.jnjhome.net/cadillac/northstar.htm

Above 5000 rpm, the L37 (STS engine) screams. My '97 SLS would upshift at about 5900 rpm. The STS will go all the way to 6500-6600 rpm before it shifts. The STS is definitely more of a race car, especially at higher speeds, but the SLS had it around town.

So if you wanted to race ricers around town, a SLS is your better bet?

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

Archived