CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Help Please put antifreeze not Dex cool what to do?

bree

I was planning a trip to las vages and added antifreeze. Well needles to say it started to overheat now I need to take it out but can"t find the drain plug please help. And do I need to flush it. Need car for work tommorw

Dex IS antifreeze. Are you saying you added green to the Dex? That should not cause it to overheat, but yeah, I'd drain it via the drain plug on the lower left side if the radiator. Not sure if yours is on the back side or the bottom. might be tought to access.

Dex IS antifreeze. Are you saying you added green to the Dex? That should not cause it to overheat, but yeah, I'd drain it via the drain plug on the lower left side if the radiator. Not sure if yours is on the back side or the bottom. might be tought to access.

Pull the lower radiator hose off the thermostat housing and drain as much as you can that way. Then refill with Dexcool. Do it again another one or two times over the next week or so and you should be OK.

Are we beginning to see a rash of 10 year old Northstars developing the same problem I just repaired on mine?

I would think that a lot of Northstars that had their antifreeze changed at 4 or 5 years would have their second batch go over 5 years at age 9 or 10 years. About a year after the antifreeze goes flat, the car starts to use water and show a tendency toward overheating...

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Did you add antifreeze because it was low on antifreeze to begin with? In this case, perhaps there is a leak or the system is not holding pressure. You should have the system checked, and perhaps pressure tested if there are no obvious leaks.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Archived