CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

DTS Mechanical Spec's

growe3

I have been starting to look for a replacement for my 93 STS. I have been looking at the 2002 - 2004 model years of the DTS (leaning towards the 2004).

While there is a lot of info on the seats, colors, radio, etc., I have not been able to find out what the top speed is of the DTS, in the years noted above; or any other for that matter.

Does anyone know what the top speed is for the DTS?

How is it's performance compared to the 93 STS?

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

depends on the tires that it comes with, which I believe are rated to 130 mph. Electronically the car will not allow you over that speed.

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

George, I just went through a similar process when I ultimately replaced my '97 Seville with a '01 Seville. I think my comparisons here are at least semi valid for you, as I started with the same platform as you (K) and ended up on the same platform (G).

In terms of NVH, there is no comparison. The G cars are just so much tighter. That's a good thing and a bad thing. I could feel more of the road with my '97 (even with the softer SLS suspension) and hear more of the engine. That visceral "feel" actually enhances your overall experience, in my opinion. In my case, I went from a Y/3.11 powertrain to a 9/3.71 powertrain, and while I do enjoy the extra creature comforts of the STS vs. the SLS (though most of it was at least optional on the SLS), I do prefer the Y/3.11 powertrain. Especially in the G platform, the 9 engine's softer throttle response, at least down low, combined with the more isolated experience (from a tighter and quieter chassis) makes for less of a "connection" to the road.

In my case, that's okay. I was actually going for a DeVille, so softer and quieter is okay by me. The base DeVilles actually drove REAL soft to me, and I think the G STS is a good compromise for me. But if you really prefer the "driver's car" feeling of your '93 STS, I would consider an STS of the same vintage of the DTSes you're considering.

I say all that without having driven a DTS, so take it for what it's worth.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Thanks for the replies.

If the OEM tire rating controls the top rated speed, does the DTS have a Z rated option that I should look for? Or was H the highest rating on the DTS?

I have always loved my STS for its power and handling capabilities; I have always had high performing cars.

I hesitate to change to a car with less power, but..... the DTS has a nice look and it shouldn't be too much slower. The acceleration will be a little less due to its increased weight, and the ride should be a lot smoother. I was hoping to be able to keep the higher speed potential, like my STS.

I like the power/performance of the STS, but the newer versions just do not appeal to me aesthetically. They appear "squeezed", narrow and tall; I prefer a wide and low look.

Thanks again for the input, more comments are welcome.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

Also check for a Certifed Pre Owned car. My '01 STS actually has a few months of the certified warranty remaining on it (from the previous owner).

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived