CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Timesert question - URGENT! Need reply NOW!

jcobz28

Tap the hole with a power drill???? Now we know why so many dealers have bad luck with Timeserts.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Tap the hole with a power drill???? Now we know why so many dealers have bad luck with Timeserts.

Really... Flat rate at work... :P

I am not a "fan" of flat rate. In my experience it has only encouraged, short cuts, poor workmanship, screwed up repairs, tail light warranties and rip off.

All why I got started doing my own work and why I chose to install my own Timeserts.

BigCat83 -- I envy you in having the time and place to do your own. No matter how happy I may be with my remanufactured engine, I really wanted to keep my original motor.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Regarding the drill vs t-handle. Look at the video that Bruce linked to on the 1st page of this thread. It demonstrates using a t-handle. It is the proper vid for this repair. Very clear and instructive ...

BigCat83 -- I envy you in having the time and place to do your own. No matter how happy I may be with my remanufactured engine, I really wanted to keep my original motor.

I can certainly understand how you feel about that.

I was conflicted - spend the better part of 10 large on a car worth 10 large perhaps by installing a Jasper or other reman. It's a tough question to answer because Eldos are all 6 years old or older now with little value - as nice as they are. And my car is a really nice Eldorado, but it's still a ten year old used Cadillac with 91000 miles - you understand my point. Also, I really want a black on black XLR and that influenced my decision. I may use my Eldo to finance part of it and then again I may keep it...

So I chose to install the Timeserts myself for a lot less and to GUARANTEE THE JOB WAS DONE RIGHT! Was it worth the effort; I guess... :huh: I don't want a payment book at this time.

I made many other repairs at the same time, most likely worth an additional 3 grand at dealership charges. And I still have more to go - rear brakes, rear shocks, front struts, the other front hub and half shaft (had to replace the right front hub and half shaft), both rear hubs, a paint, job new sound system, some toys etc etc etc...

The thing is I really like the car and with everything I'm doing to it; the car will be all set for another 100,000 miles. :D

I can certainly understand how you feel about that.

I was conflicted - spend the better part of 10 large on a car worth 10 large perhaps by installing a Jasper or other reman. It's a tough question to answer because Eldos are all 6 years old or older now with little value - as nice as they are. And my car is a really nice Eldorado, but it's still a ten year old used Cadillac with 91000 miles - you understand my point. Also, I really want a black on black XLR and that influenced my decision. I may use my Eldo to finance part of it and then again I may keep it...

So I chose to install the Timeserts myself for a lot less and to GUARANTEE THE JOB WAS DONE RIGHT! Was it worth the effort; I guess... :huh: I don't want a payment book at this time.

I made many other repairs at the same time, most likely worth an additional 3 grand at dealership charges. And I still have more to go - rear brakes, rear shocks, front struts, the other front hub and half shaft (had to replace the right front hub and half shaft), both rear hubs, a paint, job new sound system, some toys etc etc etc...

The thing is I really like the car and with everything I'm doing to it; the car will be all set for another 100,000 miles. :D

We think alike!

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

jcobz28,

If you haven't timeserted it yet I'll give you a tip. Get someone to help you by manning a shopvac and vacuuming up the chips while you do the drilling and tapping. We were able to capture 99% of the chips. You still have to mask or cover the block but you will have 99% less mess and 99% less chance of getting metal filings in your skin. We taped a piece of tubing to the nozzle (crevice tool) to get down in the holes so we didn't have to blow chips out.

Jacob,

As a follow-up to this thread, have you finished the Timesert job? If so, how did it go?

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

Having done this myself, I agree. I took one of the crevice tools and drilled a hole in it. I put a long piece of tubing on the end of my blow gun, put the crevice tool over the hole inserted the blow gun through the hole of the crevice tool down to the bottom of the hole turned on the shop vac and the crap was pulled up and into the shop vac.

jcobz28,

If you haven't timeserted it yet I'll give you a tip. Get someone to help you by manning a shopvac and vacuuming up the chips while you do the drilling and tapping. We were able to capture 99% of the chips. You still have to mask or cover the block but you will have 99% less mess and 99% less chance of getting metal filings in your skin. We taped a piece of tubing to the nozzle (crevice tool) to get down in the holes so we didn't have to blow chips out.

Dennis

This is very good advice to use a practice pc first if you are unfamiliar with these operations. And yes we do this all the time with 0% defect parts like the International Space Station! Tapping is not like thread milling on a machining center. The fixture plate does look like it takes out the guess work for mantaining perpindicularity of the hole to block surface datum. The dude in the picture looked a little too ambitious with that drill. :o

This is very good advice to use a practice pc first if you are unfamiliar with these operations. And yes we do this all the time with 0% defect parts like the International Space Station! Tapping is not like thread milling on a machining center. The fixture plate does look like it takes out the guess work for mantaining perpindicularity of the hole to block surface datum. The dude in the picture looked a little too ambitious with that drill. :o

whoooo I can't believe I didn't spell ckeck this last reply <_<

Archived