CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2001 Bose Radio -- 2 Questions

JasonA

Hey jim,

Like ranger said the knob that you push to turn the nav on in the lower left corner is also the volume knob. It took me a bit to figure it out too. I'm going to try out my bass again in my STS. I've tried a couple of different things, but it just doesn't seem to have as much bass as my girlfriends bose in her envoy and the STS is supposed to be better with more amps.

Son-of-a-gun! I found it. I have to depress the lower right button and there it is on the touch screen.

JasonA Posted Today, 04:12 AM

As others have pointed out, the most annoying thing is that the radio keeps your settings for only one radio station/source. You've got to set that up for each station and source, at least on mine.

It's not only for the radio, it the same for the CD palyer as well, at least on mie it is.

Jim

JasonA Posted Today, 04:12 AM

As others have pointed out, the most annoying thing is that the radio keeps your settings for only one radio station/source. You've got to set that up for each station and source, at least on mine.

It's not only for the radio, it the same for the CD palyer as well, at least on mie it is.

Jim

I suppose that grants you great leeway in terms of "customization," but I would just find it flat out annoying. :angry:

I guess I'd be willing to put up with it on the theory that, some day, I might want to take advantage of that level of programming sophistication. In the meantime, however, it would irk if I owned such a thing. I will, soon.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I suppose that grants you great leeway in terms of "customization," but I would just find it flat out annoying. :angry:

Yeah, I guess in theory, you can have different settings for your jazz music from your classical music from your heavy metal from your country. Me, I'm not NEARLY that level of an audiophile. :)

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Yeah, I guess in theory, you can have different settings for your jazz music from your classical music from your heavy metal from your country. Me, I'm not NEARLY that level of an audiophile. :)

Yeah, same here. I have all of my stations set to the exact same thing.

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to say that I found the bass. I just wasn't listening to the right kind of music I guess. I found a movie soundtrack CD we had here with a lot of bass on it and the thing will really rattle the car. So much that the rear license plate area will rattle when it hits.

I've since found a good setting for "normal" music...bass is all the way up, midrange is most of the way down, treble is most of the way up, and fade is partway to the rear. Unless the music is of poor quality, it sounds pretty good, and I can get good bass even out of "my" music. I guess I just had to find that right compromise.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

As soon as my radio is working again, I'll try that out! Thanks for the info.

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

There are two questions I have about the Bose system on the 2001 (I assume I have the Bose 4.0 system?):

1) The radio has the RDS functionality (Radio Data System) where it can display messages from radio stations as text while the music is playing (usually song title and artist). Our Grand Caravan has this too, but it seems to be much simpler. The RDS on that radio is always "on", and the message display is automatic. If there is text broadcast from the radio, it displays as rolling text on the radio screen. But on the Cadillac, it seems that I have to turn RDS "on" to be able to receive that text. And when RDS is on, I can't use the 1-6 radio preset buttons to change radio stations -- while RDS is on, those buttons take on the RDS functionality and do things such as change program type, etc. Is there a way to simply show the radio station text, and still retain the radio station preset functionality without having to go in and turn RDS off simply to change a station?

2) The bass isn't very impressive. My '97 (with the standard Delco non-Bose system) will rattle the rearview mirror with bass. The '01 doesn't sound nearly as good. I can't yet tell if the rear subwoofer is working. I assume that's the large speaker panel in the center of the package shelf? I'm wondering if the bass on this should be kicking me out of the car, or if this is normal for this system? If I should be getting enough bass to where I can't stand it, I'll do some more digging and see if I can isolate the problem to one speaker or the subwoofer or something. Even with the bass all the way up, and the fade all the way to the rear, the sound is relatively flat. But it sounds like it's coming from all three speakers (two door and one rear shelf).

Thanks in advance,

The Bose system on my 01 STS is the loudest clearest sounding factory system I've ever owned. The system is rated at 425 watts and when cranked up rattles all of the windows and rearview mirror and is as clear as could be.

Me and my friends used the bass as a massager to go with the heated seats. It kicks it out good in my car. It hurt our ears a bit but was worth the feeling on the rest of your body. Just another reason I am loving this car!

Me and my friends used the bass as a massager to go with the heated seats. It kicks it out good in my car. It hurt our ears a bit but was worth the feeling on the rest of your body. Just another reason I am loving this car!

Where do you have your settings at?

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

Archived