CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2001 Bose Radio -- 2 Questions

JasonA

There are two questions I have about the Bose system on the 2001 (I assume I have the Bose 4.0 system?):

1) The radio has the RDS functionality (Radio Data System) where it can display messages from radio stations as text while the music is playing (usually song title and artist). Our Grand Caravan has this too, but it seems to be much simpler. The RDS on that radio is always "on", and the message display is automatic. If there is text broadcast from the radio, it displays as rolling text on the radio screen. But on the Cadillac, it seems that I have to turn RDS "on" to be able to receive that text. And when RDS is on, I can't use the 1-6 radio preset buttons to change radio stations -- while RDS is on, those buttons take on the RDS functionality and do things such as change program type, etc. Is there a way to simply show the radio station text, and still retain the radio station preset functionality without having to go in and turn RDS off simply to change a station?

2) The bass isn't very impressive. My '97 (with the standard Delco non-Bose system) will rattle the rearview mirror with bass. The '01 doesn't sound nearly as good. I can't yet tell if the rear subwoofer is working. I assume that's the large speaker panel in the center of the package shelf? I'm wondering if the bass on this should be kicking me out of the car, or if this is normal for this system? If I should be getting enough bass to where I can't stand it, I'll do some more digging and see if I can isolate the problem to one speaker or the subwoofer or something. Even with the bass all the way up, and the fade all the way to the rear, the sound is relatively flat. But it sounds like it's coming from all three speakers (two door and one rear shelf).

Thanks in advance,

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

sounds like you have a speaker out, the 01 at the dealer with the Bose was able to to get the base rumbling pretty good.

A good way to see what speakers are in or out is adjust the system slowly to "all corners". What I mane is balance it all the way to one side and back, then forward, do the same for the other side. That usually finds the dead speaker quick.

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

Something doesn't sound quite right, Jason. The only time that the 1-6 buttons control RDS functions on my car is after I press the button with the orange rectange outline to switch the buttons from preset to RDS operation. After pressing that button the buttons turn orange and the RDS function light. The RDS is turned on and off via a different series of keypresses. Of course, now that I think about it the radio head unit changed in the 2002 model year so the functions are probably different. Regarding the bass, my car won't blow me out with the bass, but the bass is there for sure especially at lower volume levels and while using the auto volume control.

Charles

Charles

Thanks guys. I did figure out the RDS. Charles, it was just as you described. And I was doing it in the dark garage with the interior lights on, so the "switching" between the preset and RDS functionality (via the lights) was evident. I have the RDS "on", but only the messages now show (like I wanted) and my preset buttons work as they should.

I've also turned the DSP to off, with the AVL (Auto Volume Level) on. I can manually turn the bass up, but it's still not THAT much bass (but it is evident). All of my speakers are working, including the sub. If I turn it up some, it DOES sound like concert sound. It's at lower levels where it seems to be a little flatter.

When you get an understanding of the RDS let me know. I gave up.

And when my nephew got an STS I went over the car w/him and told him never to push THAT button.

Good Luck...... :)

It's pretty easy on the '99 Bill. Press the button with the orange rectangle then press button "1" to turn the RDS on or off. Once it is on, the song title and artist along with the radio station ID, provided they transmit the RDS data.

Charles

Charles

I have found that there is less base when the DSP is in the Spacious mode. Switch it to front seat or ambient and see if that gives you more base. It did from my observation.

My radio has a "MSG" button. If the station has RDS data transmitted, the letters MSG are lit. When I press the MSG button, the information scroles across the screen, then disappears. Not exactly sure what the RDS button does. I'm gonna have to play with that some more.

There are two questions I have about the Bose system on the 2001 (I assume I have the Bose 4.0 system?):

1) The radio has the RDS functionality (Radio Data System) where it can display messages from radio stations as text while the music is playing (usually song title and artist). Our Grand Caravan has this too, but it seems to be much simpler. The RDS on that radio is always "on", and the message display is automatic. If there is text broadcast from the radio, it displays as rolling text on the radio screen. But on the Cadillac, it seems that I have to turn RDS "on" to be able to receive that text. And when RDS is on, I can't use the 1-6 radio preset buttons to change radio stations -- while RDS is on, those buttons take on the RDS functionality and do things such as change program type, etc. Is there a way to simply show the radio station text, and still retain the radio station preset functionality without having to go in and turn RDS off simply to change a station?

2) The bass isn't very impressive. My '97 (with the standard Delco non-Bose system) will rattle the rearview mirror with bass. The '01 doesn't sound nearly as good. I can't yet tell if the rear subwoofer is working. I assume that's the large speaker panel in the center of the package shelf? I'm wondering if the bass on this should be kicking me out of the car, or if this is normal for this system? If I should be getting enough bass to where I can't stand it, I'll do some more digging and see if I can isolate the problem to one speaker or the subwoofer or something. Even with the bass all the way up, and the fade all the way to the rear, the sound is relatively flat. But it sounds like it's coming from all three speakers (two door and one rear shelf).

Thanks in advance,

Same problem in my 02. The bass isn't up to my par. My girly friends 02 envoy sure puts out the bass. It'll rattle your brains out, but my 02 STS just isn't that great. I do have it on spacious though. I'm going to go fiddle and see which has the most bass and sounds the best.

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

I have the NAV system so my set up may be a tad different than one without. One thing I learned early on is when your setting your favorite stations up make sure it's in the mode you want it in before you store it (Front Seat, Spacious and so on ...) because thats the mode it will come back too when that selection is selected.

FWIW the BASE on my 01 STS will shake the windows if I were so inclined to listen to it that away.

Jim

I have the NAV system so my set up may be a tad different than one without. One thing I learned early on is when your setting your favorite stations up make sure it's in the mode you want it in before you store it (Front Seat, Spacious and so on ...) because thats the mode it will come back too when that selection is selected.

FWIW the BASE on my 01 STS will shake the windows if I were so inclined to listen to it that away.

Jim

Hey jim, I have the nav system to. I found out the hard way that you have to preset them with the DSP...a few choice words flew until I figured it out. I was really pissed off that everytime I would go back it would be back on something I didn't want!

What DSP do you have on when you have the bass-a-shakn'? Or do you have it on at all? I have a 02 STS, so it shouldn't be any different. Also where do you have your bass set to? All the way up or different?

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

Jim

Hey jim, I have the nav system to. I found out the hard way that you have to preset them with the DSP...a few choice words flew until I figured it out. I was really pissed off that everytime I would go back it would be back on something I didn't want!

What DSP do you have on when you have the bass-a-shakn'? Or do you have it on at all? I have a 02 STS, so it shouldn't be any different. Also where do you have your bass set to? All the way up or different?

The car is in Portland OR and I'm in the Puget Sound area this weekend so I can't check the DSP right away but if I loose track of this thread and you haven't heard from me by Wednesday night shoot me an email and I'll check.

I normally keep me treble and base settings at mid scale but depending on the group and/or the style of music I'll move it around. I like the base especially with something like the song ... Oh Yea" (by Yello) but I'm afaraid of blowing the speakers.

Jim

Jim

Mine is on "Front Seat" (I'm usually the only one in the car). The level on the DSP screen is all the way to the right. The treble is set at slightly above mid-scale, the mid tone is halfway between midscale and max and the base is set a notch or so above the mid tone setting.

A starnge thing I've noticed is except for the volume button on the steering wheel, there is no volume control (that I've found).

Hope this helps!

Jim

That's strange. Mine has a volume knob.

It's probably me but, where is it?

On mine I can turn the individual tones (treble, mids and base) up and down but that does not silence the volume.

In the DSP mode there is a "level" selector but that does not turn down the volume.

I can turn the audio off but for the life of me I cannot find a "volume" button other than the one on the steering wheel.

Jim

He has the touch screen navigation radio, Larry. That is probably why there is no knob. Another advantage to the RDS is that as long as the RDS in turned on, you will receive emergency radio broadcasts, even if listening to a tape or CD. You may have noticed that even when listening to sources other than the radio that "RDS" is still shown on the display.

Charles

Charles

I wish the Bose system in the '06 DTS had more bass. It is at the dealer right now, having a couple of adjustments done. They gave me an base model '07 CTS to drive. It has a lot more bass then the Bose in my DTS. Sound is not as CLEAN as the Bose, but does have a lot more bass to it. I like bass and the DTS don't have it or I don't know how to make it do it. :) The '06 is adjusted for max bass, but still is a little light

Posted Image

I wish the Bose system in the '06 DTS had more bass. It is at the dealer right now, having a couple of adjustments done. They gave me an base model '07 CTS to drive. It has a lot more bass then the Bose in my DTS. Sound is not as CLEAN as the Bose, but does have a lot more bass to it. I like bass and the DTS don't have it or I don't know how to make it do it. :) The '06 is adjusted for max bass, but still is a little light

That's really my observations exactly. The Delco radio in my '97 SLS had more bass, but the sound wasn't as crisp. The '01 Bose system has a much crisper and clearer sound, but the bass won't rattle the windows out.

I noticed that as well on my mother-in-law's 2004 Acura TL. It has some high end stereo with some guy's name on it, but I wasn't all that impressed with it, just listening to the radio. But put in the demonstration disc that came with the car, and that stereo came to life!

It's probably me but, where is it? That is probably why there is no knob.

He has the touch screen navigation radio, Larry.

I kind of suspect they are different as mine is rather obvious. It has only one knob on the left side. push for on/off and turn for volume.

Another advantage to the RDS is that as long as the RDS in turned on, you will receive emergency radio broadcasts, even if listening to a tape or CD.

Yeah, I read that when I went through the owners manual again, but I notice when I press RDS it starts to scan stations rather than turning it on and off.

I wish the Bose system in the '06 DTS had more bass.

That's really my observations exactly. The Delco radio in my '97 SLS had more bass

That has been my observation as well. My '02 SLS (non Bose) had more base.

Hey jim,

Like ranger said the knob that you push to turn the nav on in the lower left corner is also the volume knob. It took me a bit to figure it out too. I'm going to try out my bass again in my STS. I've tried a couple of different things, but it just doesn't seem to have as much bass as my girlfriends bose in her envoy and the STS is supposed to be better with more amps.

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

Try this for more bass (I tried it yesterday with good results). Move your FADE as far to the rear as you can while still hearing clearly from the front. On mine, if I put the fade ALL the way to the rear, the front speakers cut out totally (like they should). But one notch above all the way back produces good bass/volume from the back, but still clear highs from the front. And I think it sounds best so far that way (I've been trying a bunch of different combinations). So...bass all the way up, midrange and trebel a few clicks above center, and fade one click from all the way back.

As others have pointed out, the most annoying thing is that the radio keeps your settings for only one radio station/source. You've got to set that up for each station and source, at least on mine.

Try this for more bass (I tried it yesterday with good results). Move your FADE as far to the rear as you can while still hearing clearly from the front. On mine, if I put the fade ALL the way to the rear, the front speakers cut out totally (like they should). But one notch above all the way back produces good bass/volume from the back, but still clear highs from the front. And I think it sounds best so far that way (I've been trying a bunch of different combinations). So...bass all the way up, midrange and trebel a few clicks above center, and fade one click from all the way back.

As others have pointed out, the most annoying thing is that the radio keeps your settings for only one radio station/source. You've got to set that up for each station and source, at least on mine.

Yeah that's really annoying. They should have done something to where you can set all the presets at once to what you want.

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

Archived