CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Rear shocks to a -93 STS

Jan Olsson

Hi everyone.

Long time no see. I haven't been driving my STS for almost 2 years now. The reason for that is as follows...

I did some time-serting and was pleased with the result, then I was planning to do some undercoating and do some minor fixes to get it as good as new again, but I wanted to sell my Eldo first.

Well here in Sweden people are prepared to pay ridiculous amounts of money for any used Volvo but almost nothing for a Cadillac.

Everyone believes they weight 6000 pounds, gets 10 miles/gallon and stops in 500 feet from 30 mph. And of course they don't go any faster than 60 mph, parts costs millions and they break at least once par day...go figure.

For every idiot I had to deal with I was getting increasingly pissed off. Meanwhile my wife bought a -90 Jeep Cherokee. I asked here if she didn't want to buy my Eldo instead but no it was too big for her...women..

Since she bought that POS the STS wasn't even close to get on the road again.

Every single month it was something new that had to be fixed. Parts twice the price of a Cadillac...

I've fixed/replaced central door locks, electrical windows, radiator, thermostat, alternator, ABS-sensor, electrical brake pump relay, transmission mounts etc etc. All that in 15000 Miles.

Now finally we're getting rid of that pile of no good junk.

My wife will buy my Eldo so it will remain in the family. :)

And finally my beloved STS will get back on the road.

I was planning to buy parts from RockAuto. Rotors, shocks, some lamps, a new grille etc and discovered that the rear shocks seems to be discontinued?

Is there really not any way to get them or do I have to put up with passive ones?

Sorry for my long and somewhat off topic post, seems like a bad habit for me.

But then again I don't write here that often so I guess it equals up :lol:

Hi,

Sorry I have no idea on the shocks but I'd like to ask you a question about the Jeep.

I was working for a company that wanted to export a new model vehicle to Sweden a few years back.

Well in order to do this inspectors from Sweden had to come and inspect the product and make sure it was up to standards for Sweden before any vehicles could enter Sweden.

These guys checked every part they could without taking the thing apart. I had never seen anything like this inspection.

The inspectors measured all the lights how loud it was how long how wide you name it and this went on for a week.

I'll bet they even checked all the parts of one not yet assembled before they left. It was as if they were reverse engineering it.

It was very clear to me that Sweden did not want any part of a vehicle that was not well built or was an unsafe POS.

So knowing this I have to wonder how in the world did a Jeep get into Sweden?

I know what you feel my daughter was on the Jeep trip for awhile.

Buy a Jeep and weap!

Good luck on the shock hunting.

These guys checked every part they could without taking the thing apart. I had never seen anything like this inspection.

The inspectors measured all the lights how loud it was how long how wide you name it and this went on for a week.

I'll bet they even checked all the parts of one not yet assembled before they left. It was as if they were reverse engineering it.

Well it is this country in a nutshell. If it's not made in Sweden, make it impossible to enter this country. I once saw something on television about a lady who needed a modified vehicle since she was handicapped. I don't recall what car it was but the equipment in question, some sort of lift for her roller chair was approved in Germany and sold in large quantities. But here in Sweden she had to let it pass an impact test just to proof it was up to Swedish standards. Then buy another car to drive :lol:

Just like if we import an American car, we have to disable and/or dismount rear lamps and put on other that is approved by the Swedish traffic security department. It don't matter if a billion of people around the world use the original equipment every day and get along just fine with that. It is illegal and totally wrong to even think the thought of not using ones approved by the Swedish authorities.

Everything here is anti-American except for MacDonald’s.

People here think Lexus is a new car, a new car (20 years or so?) that even may compete against Volvo V70...I mean c'mon since when was Volvo a luxury car. I was a passenger in a -05 the other day, still no more quiet than the Eldo, perhaps more gizmos but then I don’t think it’s really fair to compare a twenty year old car with a new one. And of course Toyota is fantastic, it must be since it says so on the stripper on the rear window…

The press here is always bitching on about American cars except for Chrysler (Mercedes is a good car therefore Chrysler is too).

“The electric systems look bad in Cadillac”. Well I never have had any problems to talk about regarding that, not since I sold my last Volvo.

“The traction control doesn’t work” Ever heard of non intrusive control? It means that you’ll have more feeling and more fun, you are NOT supposed to have fun while you drive in Sweden, that’s why Volvos are so popular.

“The interior is of bad quality, you can tell by the looks” Never ever had interior problems worse than in my Volvos, ever had a shift-knob in you hand trying to shift? Not in a Cadillac.

“They usually rust like all American cars” Yes my cars are SO rusty…If a said “rain” my Volvos used to rust.

“They are not built for high speeds” Show me a Volvo that is then…

Sorry for the rant, think I need a cold shower.

Archived