CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Sprark Plug change

speedyman_2

I think I'm going to change my plugs today. Or at least check them. What should I look for? These were the plugs that were in the engine I bought from the junkyard. I think I should've put new ones in a long time ago, but never did. Haven't had any problems until recently though. And, I think new plugs should do the trick. Question. Should I warm the car up at all? It's 40 degrees out side right now. BTW I'm installing OEM plugs, so no need to worry. ;)

IPB Image

My manual states to remove them with engine cold, for whatever reason.

I did so, no problems, came out easily. Make sure surroundings of the spark plugs are free from debris before removal, compressed air is very helpful.

Stefan

I think I'm going to change my plugs today. Or at least check them. What should I look for? These were the plugs that were in the engine I bought from the junkyard. I think I should've put new ones in a long time ago, but never did. Haven't had any problems until recently though. And, I think new plugs should do the trick. Question. Should I warm the car up at all? It's 40 degrees out side right now. BTW I'm installing OEM plugs, so no need to worry. ;)

You want your engine to be cold for a few reasons. One, metal shrinks when cold so it will be easier to turn them out. Two, if the engine is hot, you could possibly ruin the head. Three, you won't burn yourself!

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

Thanks guys. I should've known but just wasn't sure. They were badly in need of replace and I just kept putting it off. Car runs a lot better now. The old plugs had worn electrodes causing excessive gap. Car fired up way quicker and is alot more responsive. :)

IPB Image

Archived