CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Confessions of the tire-challenged

Bruce Nunnally

Hi, my name is Bruce, and I drove the rubber off my CTS again.

I think it is the short-spin starts, combined with pushing the car just this side of a slide through the turns. Possibly the Nurburgring tuned suspension is a contributor. Possibly the longer oil change intervals, so that rotation every other oil change is really too long between rotations. GM had a technical bulletin that mentioned short tire life; they suggested the Goodyear formula used on the CTS might be at fault. So the last set I swapped over to Pirelli's instead. They ran off just as fast. My name is Bruce, and I have a problem with tires.

With only 26k miles on the 05 CTS, my tires are nearing tread-free status once again. This time, I watched ebay for a set of take-off CTS wheels+tires. Ideally local, so no shipping costs. Yes, normally I would say go to Cardio Doc for anything related to wheels, but I just needed some stock 16" alloys, with the Goodyears intact.

Today I drove down to a local auto-customizing store, Texas Auto Designs, and picked up a set of lightly used 06 CTS wheels+tires for less than I paid for my last set of tires.

This time I'll be careful. This time I'll go slow. No hard starts, no power cornering. Of course, I only need them to last until the next set shows up on ebay. And now I either have a full-size spare, if I find a storage place that my Wife can't detect, or I have some CTS wheels (with no tires) for sale cheap.

In summary, my Wife points out: Good tires, but certainly not great tires.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Hello Bruce! The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem Bruce...good for you! :lol:

This statement however sounds ominous >>> Of course, I only need them to last until the next set shows up on ebay <<< :lol: Oh Oh

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Try H-rated tires. I found by experience that V-rated tires wear quicker than the same tire, H-rated, with no discernible difference in performance.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

The wheels are standard CTS wheels 16x7, 5x115mm pattern, with monochrome center caps as shown, lug nuts not included.

IPB Image

The tires WERE (cough) H rated.

Bruce

Bruce, Consumer Reports noted "Fair" treadwear on those Pirelli P6 tires during their performance all season tire testing that was published in November 2005 (their most recent article on the performance all season category, or H-rated tires). "Fair" is only one bubble better than "Poor". You may consider going with a tire that will offer better treadwear.

The following tires all offer "Excellent" treadwear ratings from Consumer Reports, while still being capable performers:

Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus

Goodyear Assurance TripleTred

Kumho Solus KH16

Continental ContiPremierContact

As part of their V-rated category, only the V-rated version of the Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus scored the "Excellent" treadwear rating.

If your OE tires were the Goodyear Eagle RS-As, they were not part of Consumer Reports' testing, and they are likely too old to ever be considered as part of a future test. There are just too many newer (and better) tire designs out there.

The '01 STS I just bought has a set of the Michelins mentioned above, and while I obviously can't comment on longevity at this time, I can say that they're very capable performers that are dead quiet at speed with good road isolation. Pricey, but possibly the best tires I've ever owned so far.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

The OEM tires are Goodyear Eagle RS-A's which have a treadwear rating of 260, which does seem low compared with some that are rated 400.

3 of the 4 tires needed new inflation valve cores, so I got the new wheels/tires cleaned up and re-cored and filled to the appropriate pressure. Assuming no problems, I'll drive the rest of the rubber off the Pirelli's then swap the wheels over.

The 2008 CTS releases suggest it will feature standard 17-by-8-inch aluminum wheels paired with Michelin H-rated (P235/55R17) all-season radials. The optional performance suspension includes an 18- by- 8.5-inch wheel with the all-new Michelin Pilot Sport 2 (P235/50R18) tire that can either be V- or Y- (summer) rated.

http://www.michelinman.com/overview/pilot_...t_ps2/2958.html

uh-oh: treadwear 220 on the Michelin PS2's :o

Bruce

Archived