CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

work day

kensala313

well i borrowed some ramps from a friend today and finally got underneath my 97 sts. i wanted to get under there cause the car has been leaking trans fluid like crazy. my work list included:

1) retighten the transaxle pan bolts in the correct torque sequence

2) check parts to find rattle - it turned out to be the black heat sheild, the trans fluid had been working its way into the bots that hold the heat shelid on and loosened them up, so i pulled it all the way off and cleaned the bolts and all the parts well, then renistalled. bam, rattle gone.

3) clean up chassis where fluid had been all over.

4) check exhaust system for damage because a car in front of me had dropped a piece of wood and i ran it over, but there was no damage.

but when i was looking at the exhaust, i noticed that where the exhaust meets the cat in the front (engine side), there was a bit of black stuff (oil/carbon??) coming out. any ideas??

well i borrowed some ramps from a friend today and finally got underneath my 97 sts. i wanted to get under there cause the car has been leaking trans fluid like crazy. my work list included:

1) retighten the transaxle pan bolts in the correct torque sequence

2) check parts to find rattle - it turned out to be the black heat sheild, the trans fluid had been working its way into the bots that hold the heat shelid on and loosened them up, so i pulled it all the way off and cleaned the bolts and all the parts well, then renistalled. bam, rattle gone.

3) clean up chassis where fluid had been all over.

4) check exhaust system for damage because a car in front of me had dropped a piece of wood and i ran it over, but there was no damage.

but when i was looking at the exhaust, i noticed that where the exhaust meets the cat in the front (engine side), there was a bit of black stuff (oil/carbon??) coming out. any ideas??

1) Glad that solved your problem. It did, didn't it?

2) Glad you found that also. Keep in mind, however, a bad CAT converter can also result in "rattles." How many miles? Just something to keep in mind if the rattle reappears . . . . . check out the CAT. It's likely not something to worry about before 120K miles or so.

3) Cleanliness is next to Godliness! Or my aunt Agness.

4) Some concern here. I wouldn't want to see exhaust fumes entering the cabin! Safety demands this be checked out thoroughly.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

That is likely engine oil drops blown back by road draft.

It is an undocumented feature of older engines that tend to seep a little oil which is blown back underneath as an extra level of rust proofing.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

That is likely engine oil drops blown back by road draft.

It is an undocumented feature of older engines that tend to seep a little oil which is blown back underneath as an extra level of rust proofing.

Okay, you'll have to give me a moment to get your tongue out of my cheek.

There! I'm better now. :)

That was a hoot!

Regards,

Warren :lol:

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I jumped on you a little too quick there, Jim.

Please accept a big-time apology.

It certainly wasn't warrented.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

I left the smilies off. It was intended to be light hearted :D Nothing to apologize for.

Thanks,

Warren

Posted Image

Archived