CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Bought a 2001 STS

JasonA

Title says it all. Been looking casually for a while. Actually went out and drove some DeVilles yesterday. None really caught our fancy. On a whim, we called a dealership on an '01 STS. Filled up to the gills. White diamond, sunroof, wood wheel/shifter package, the whole nine yards. We agreed on a price over the phone last night and we drove up and drove it this morning. I was sold immediately. There's not a scratch on this thing. Brand new Michelin Energy MXV4 tires. 56k miles. Runs strong. It doesn't feel any faster than my '97 SLS, but as soon as I look down, I'm doing 100. :) Love the VF gauge cluster. Love the sunroof (our first car with a sunroof). It even has a few months left on the Cadillac certified warranty. Like on our '97, we're the 3rd owners of this. First was a lease in Ohio, then 2nd owner lived in Greensboro, and they traded it in on a new <something?> and that same dealer had it out there. Bill Black Chevrolet Cadillac, they were real professionals and the buying experience was really first rate. They do a lot of Cadillacs there, you could tell. There were at least 5-6 other slightly used DeVilles/Sevilles there too, including an '02 STS with the navigation.

All in all, we're 200% satisfied with it. I think my wife will be happier overall with the Seville vs. DeVille, and this way she gets her butt warmers (front AND rear).

I'll be sure to get some pictures up soon.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Fantastic! Congratulations and Good Luck with it!

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Congratulations! It sounds a lot like mine, and I have no doubt that you will be VERY happy with it for a long time to come! Did you get massage seats or the adaptive ones? At any rate, if it doesn't have the front strut tower brace, try to get one ASAP. It made a world of difference on my '99.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Thanks guys. Not sure on the coolant. I'd say probably not, only because of the miles. The '97 didn't have an accessible drain bolt on the radiator -- maybe this one'll be easier. They said they just changed the oil, and I crawled under and there is a brand new ACDelco PF-61. The engine block and transmission are bone dry on the outside.

Neither on the seats (massage or adaptive). The seats themselves are power every which day, 4-way lumbar, and the electronic head rests.

The car has the original window sticker in the glovebox. Total bill of over $51,000 delivered new. Only option package is the "luxury package", which included the wood steering wheel and shift knob, the 6-disc CD changer, and the chrome wheels (these are 16").

After some more driving, I can offer this as a comparison with my '97:

The '01 "feels" bigger than the '97. The '97 is very tossable, even in SLS trim. The '01 feels like a more substantial car, and feels "weightier". But at the same time, you can toss it into an on-ramp and it just STICKS. I can also tell more of a difference in the engines than I thought. The Y engine definitely has more pep down low. The transmission will allow the torque converter to stay locked as low as an indicated 1000-1100 rpm in OD. The 9 engine in the '01 won't seem to stay locked down below about 1500 (it'll unlock at that point). Combined with the additional weight of the '01 vs. the '97, around town performance feels very much the same (actually with any slight advantage going to the '97). But as expected, the 9 engine really shines when you spin it up. It'll eat up that tach...shifting at 6500 rpm. The Y in the '97 would shift at 5900-6000 rpm.

2000 rpm in OD in the '97 was about 76 mph. In the '01, it's about 61 mph. The change in final drive ratio is apparent. Suprisingly, the '01 is actually EPA rated better (I learned that today). 17/27 said the window sticker. I averaged OVER 30 mpg on the 60 miles of 70 mph driving I did on the way down from Greensboro. Total avg mpg since I reset it, with all the town driving and "test driving" is still over 26. I think I'll be more than happy with it.

The '01 is just a vault. There is just plain NO road noise. Very little wind noise (only as speeds go over 80+). The sunroof is actually an aftermarket roof, installed by a place the Cadillac dealer always sends their stuff. He said their stuff is warranted forever, and they've been going to 'em for 30+ years for all their sunroofs. If I ever have any problems with the power or leaking, he said to call him and he'll get it back to the guys to have the problem taken care of.

Congratulations! It sounds a lot like mine, and I have no doubt that you will be VERY happy with it for a long time to come! Did you get massage seats or the adaptive ones? At any rate, if it doesn't have the front strut tower brace, try to get one ASAP. It made a world of difference on my '99.

Greetings,

Could you tell me more about the strut tower brace? I just bought a low mileage 2002 SLS, would this apply to an SLS as well? Where did you get it? Any info appreciated.

Thanks,

Fred Z.

Yeah Fred, it would apply to yours as well. It is simply a brace between the two strut towers. Never noticed any difference on my '02 SLS when I had it as opposed to my '97 Deville (which had the brace), but that doesn't mean much. You could fab one very easy or buy one from http://www.gmotors.com.

Congratulation Jason!

Defenitely the right color for the STS.

Do you still have your '97?

Florin

Florin, Jason has it for sale here:

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=12652

Mike

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Congrats, Jason ... I look forward to seeing one of your famous wax jobs on the new STS.

I'd be interested in hearing your opinion on more of the differences between cars. I noticed a huge difference in improved NVH (noise/vibration/harshness levels). Your 97 basically was designed at the end of the '80s, and the 2001 reflects a more advanced era of computer aided chassis design.

Is the 2001 free of the 65mph shake? With the new Michelin's, I'm sure its as

smooth as glass.

Nice choice.

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

Thanks guys, and thanks BBF for that link to my for sale post. Seriously, if anyone is interested in the '97, please get with me soon -- a guy from work is driving it today (as long as his wife gives him the okay). He drives a '92 Lumina with 2xx,xxx miles, so he knows that miles aren't necessarily a big turn-off. :)

Anyway, there is a SLIGHT shimmy in the steering wheel at speed...in the 65-70 mph range. Go-figure, about like the rest of them huh? I have no idea (at this point) the alignment of the car or how true the tires are balanced. And it's only something I noticed after the miles started piling on during the drive home and I started to notice the small things about the car. The only "blemish" I can find on the interior so far is the "BAND" button on the radio has some of the dark grey covering chipped off, and the white/clear plastic from the button shows. VERY small detail.

I told my wife that no matter what we got (originally looking at DeVilles), the '97 is basically a 5 year newer '92, which was designed in the late 1980s as you said Ted. The G platform has long been advertised as one of GM's stiffest ever (beginning with the '95 Aurora), and I guess now a LOT of GM's front drivers are on that platform. I knew that there would be a lot of NVH differences and there are.

There ARE pros and cons to that. The '97 almost feels more connected to the road, just because you can feel and hear just a little bit more of the road texture. I'm also WAY more comfortable/adjusted to the '97, so I know in time I'll be tossing the '01 around just like I was the '97. There's still that "newness" to me that makes me want to drive the '01 like a limo (very carefully), and I'm sure that as I get more comfortable and "get on the wheel" a little more, I'll start getting some of that road feel/sensation back.

Anyway, there is a SLIGHT shimmy in the steering wheel at speed...in the 65-70 mph range. Go-figure, about like the rest of them huh? I have no idea (at this point) the alignment of the car or how true the tires are balanced....

They don't all shimmy at 65 or other any speed. Tires can be the cause and I would have that checked out as a first step.

Do not throw money away on an alignment unless you see unusual tire wear or suspect the toe-in is not correct (wheels do not self center after a turn). Camber and caster are a net-build situation and will be within spec's unless there has been front end damage.

If the wheel shake is pronounced during braking, I would bed the pads and rotors by putting some serious heat into the brakes. Ten hard stops from 50 MPH, let cool, repeat.

If none of the above makes an improvement, I can tell you what I did to both of mine. Zero wheel shake and no trace of chassis vibration at any speed.

Enjoy!

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Jason,

I recetly sold our beloved 97 crimson pearl SLS with 111,000 miles on it and bought an 02 white diamond SLS with only 16,400 on it. I can relate to some of your comparisons. The 97 was still like a new car, but the 02 was too good of a deal to pass up and it is absolutely perfect.

While we really like the 02, there are things we miss about the 97. I think most of all my wife and I both enjoyed the sound of the less restrictive exhaust and intake on the 97. While we are both retired and in our early 60's, we still enjoy such juvenile things. :)

The 97 seemed a bit peppier, perhaps because of the added visceral effect of the above mentioned sounds. It seemed to have a tighter handling also. Having more chrome trim accented the beautiful crimson pearl paint and we constantly got compliments on the looks of the car.

That being said, our 02 is a much better car. As you mentioned, while the 97 felt more connected to the road, the 02 is a much better ride, is much quieter and has an overall effect of a very high quality car. Additional options like the rain sensing wipers, front and back butt toasters, telescoping steering wheel with memory, etc are an added bonus. While we miss the crimson pearl, we don't think that color looks quite as good on the later models with painted grills, etc. The white diamond is a striking color and is easier to keep clean than the darker red.

The only problem we had with the 02 was the infamous 65-75 MPH shimmy. I had done some research before buying it and was prepared to bite the bullet to take care of it. Since it was one of the few that came with Goodyear tires, I suspected that was one of the problems. I took it to my Caddy dealer in St Louis, where we bought the 97 and had them replace the GY's with Michelin Symmetry's. We tried it first with normal balance and it was much better, but not prefect. They then did the road force balance and it took care of all of it. Then it finally felt 100% like a quality Cadillac and we are thrilled with it.

The Service Manager gave me a copy of the GM bulletin on this shimmy problem, so they are fully aware of it. Since you already have good tires, I recommend that you try the road force balance if you still have some shimmy.

Congrats on your new car and thanks for the comparo.

Fred Z.

Thanks guys for your further comments. Everything about this car (and the service) seems first-rate. Even the wheel weights are the non-lead type, which I believe is an extra cost at some places. Some wheels have a lot of weight on them, while others have minimal. I'm not fretting over the slight shimmy at all...I haven't even had the tires spin balanced, let alone road force balanced.

There is a slight pulsation in the brakes upon light application at high speed. So I may need to re-bed them, or ultimately, put on a new set of discs.

Question: does the 2001 models have the water-cooled alternator? I know some of the ones newer than my '97 did, but don't remember the year range.

Thanks. BTW, I'll put some photos up later on tonight.

Question: does the 2001 models have the water-cooled alternator? I know some of the ones newer than my '97 did, but don't remember the year range.

Not positive, but I don't think so.

Very nice and clean Jason, I love it!

Archived