CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Stabilizer Bar End Links and Bushing Rreplacement

Spurlee

My 1996 El Dorado was clunking like a New York Taxi and through the advice here at the forum I decided to replace the Stabilizer Bar Bushings and the End Links.

I wish I'd done it a year ago - it's inexpensive and easy. The Rock Auto (www.rockauto.com) price for the 2 bushings and end links was $75.00. (I bought the inexpensive links...and the 21MM bushings for my ETC model)

There's 2 bolts (1/2 SAE) each for the bushing caps and 2 nuts (17mm) each for the end links. I soaked them down the night before to get a head start.

I put it on a ramp and removed the pass. tire to gain easy access to the top link nut. It backed out easily and the top end of the link itself can be tapped out with a hammer. The bottom nut has less access, but comes off with patience (a ratcheting closed end wrench is handy here... ;) ). The lower end of the link will likely be frozen in the stabilizer bar, save time and aggrivation by putting some serious heat on the bar and it will tap right out. Don't waste time trying to hit it out cold with a hammer...

With the old end link removed, move on to the bushing.

One of the two bushing cap bolts is accessible from the wheel well - remove it. The other I reached from underside the car, still easy. With the end link removed you can easily move the bar itself and gain clearance to slide the old bushing off and the new one on in a minute or so. (Hint: I warmed the new ones on a heat vent to make them easier to open ;) ). Clean up the bolts and reassemble the cap over the bushing.

After the new bushing is in place install the new end link, it will bolt right up. Retorque the wheel and you're done.

The other side will probably go faster once you know the process. I started at 9:00 am. and was cleaned up by 12:00 noon. B)

Don't be apprehensive about this repair, it's drop dead easy!

Scott

1996 El Dorado

2006 STS

2000 Corvette

Nothing better than inexpensive maintenance/repair that you finish easily and that improves the car. Thanks for posting.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

congrats Spurlee, would you say that's a job you can do in your driveway or would I need a hoist for it? I also have the infamous rattle, and for $75 and a few hours it's worth a shot to get rid of it.

A question that pops to mind though is, are Cadillac dealers aware of the rattle issue? or would they act like they don't know what could be causing it. Seems like all the seasoned guys on this page know that there are a couple of things that might do it, I wonder if you ask in a cadillac dealership would they steer you in the right direction or tell you that you need new struts at $800 each plus labor :D a $2000 to $2500 job on a car that's only worth $4000-$5000

congrats Spurlee, would you say that's a job you can do in your driveway or would I need a hoist for it? I also have the infamous rattle, and for $75 and a few hours it's worth a shot to get rid of it.

A question that pops to mind though is, are Cadillac dealers aware of the rattle issue? or would they act like they don't know what could be causing it. Seems like all the seasoned guys on this page know that there are a couple of things that might do it, I wonder if you ask in a cadillac dealership would they steer you in the right direction or tell you that you need new struts at $800 each plus labor :D a $2000 to $2500 job on a car that's only worth $4000-$5000

Definately a driveway or garage fix! The only "special" things you'll need are ramps to gain some clearance under the car, and a torch to heat the stabilizer bar - and maybe not even that. I'd suggest treating the bolts/nuts to some penetrating oil beforehand, I did and miny came right off. Good Luck!

Scott

1996 El Dorado

2006 STS

2000 Corvette

All,

I was having the same problem and did not have the time or garage to do the repair so my friend has a front end shop and did the reapirs for $75. The car feels like new :D I recommend anyone with this noise to start here.

Woody

Archived