CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Soliciting Advice

JasonA

Please help me decide what I want to do here. I got a few dollars from my late grandfather's estate and I'm trying to figure out what to do, vehicle-wise.

Option 1: Keep the Cadillac, and buy a little pickup truck to bump around town in. I've had a Nissan truck before, loved it, my brother still loves it, I might like another. Cadillac returns to "garage queen" duty.

Pros: I get a 2nd vehicle as a daily driver

Cons: I end up with 2 10+ year old vehicles

Option 2: Keep the Cadillac, don't buy another truck, and put some monies into the Seville. Nothing on the Caddy really NEEDS to be done (besides the blower motor that I'm going to fix regardless), but there are things that I'd like to do given enough money. Includes new struts/strut mounts. Possibly rear knuckle replacement, etc. Big-ticket items like that that wear out after 10 years and 150+ thousand miles. This scenario would keep the Cadillac as my daily driver.

Pros: I get to keep the Cadillac and put money into it

Cons: I have to continue to drive it in bad weather and don't know whether I'll get a big return on my investment if I put a bunch of money into it.

Option 3: Sell the Cadillac, and use the proceeds, along with grandfather's money, and get into something newer. I've been looking at newer DeVilles (like 00-03 vintage), but I also REALLY like the Buick Park Avenue Ultra (supercharged) from the same vintage. I can get into a lower-mileage Buick for at least as cheap as a DeVille, and the 3800 S/C engines are pretty tunable (with different pullies, etc).

Pros: I get a newer vehicle with far fewer miles and hopefully something I'll enjoy as much

Cons: I'll have to sell the Cadillac, use my newer vehicle as daily transportation, and this would push out a replacement for Mrs. Jason's Grand Caravan a few more years out (probably not a problem).

What should I do?? :huh:

I'm kind of leaning on Option 1/3 right now. And if I'm leaning against any of them, it's probably Option 2, but I'm still open to all. I wouldn't have any qualms about selling the Seville if I knew it was going to a good home (maybe one of you all?). Anyone have experience with a Buick Park Avenue Ultra? They look "ultra" comfortable, and I like the S/C 3800. But it probably doesn't have the sky-high addicting pull of the Northstar engine.

Any advice is sincerely appreciated. If someone says they'll buy my Seville on-the-spot for what I'd want to get for it, that might make my decision easier (but again, I don't really think I want to sell my SLS; I like it too much).

Oh, the drama!

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I would vote for option#3. The SLS with 150,000 will only start costing you more if your not careful. Get a Cadillac with low miles and a good maintenance record or a certified used Caddy with a warranty. The Park Avenue is a nice car and the 3800 engine is a good engine. The company I worked for had a Bonneville with the 3800, it had 250,000 miles when we sold it and it was still running strong. The Buick is a nice car but it's no Cadillac. Good Luck, sorry to hear about your Grandfather.

Option 3, if you get a good price for your SLS; alternately Option 2A, keep the SLS running as a daily driver, but use the inheritance to start collecting funds for a replacement.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I'd go with option 2 - keep your current car while saving for a replacement Deville. The Buick Park Ave. is a comfortable car but it's no Cadillac. Even though your SLS is in great shape, 150K miles may command a much lower price than what you'd be happy about.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Thanks for the responses so far. I'm looking at both the DeVilles and Park Avenues. I've driven a standard '04 DeVille before (and thought highly of it), but haven't driven an Park Avenue Ultra before. I may do that this weekend, just to see what I think of it.

I don't know how much mileage plays into the blue book value, but I've looked up the blue book value on it (with the mileage) and I'd be happy to get the blue book "good" value from it. The difference between blue book "good" and blue book "excellent" is only about $700.

I would opt for #3, an upgrade to a newer Deville.

Also I would never have another garage queen. Did that with a '73 Eldo. In the end I saved it for someone else. Now I drive 'em and enjoy 'em the way are intended to be.

I also vote for option #3. Funny that a couple of us have tried the "garage queen" thing. I had a 1972 Olds Cutlass Supreme with the 455/turbo 400 combo. It was a beautiful car with 3 coats of true black paint with 6 coats of clear on top. I was scared to death of taking it out of the garage, and on the rare occasions I did it got about 8 miles per gallon :D Like Larry said, I preserved it for someone else.

Charles

Charles

Thanks for the responses so far. I'm looking at both the DeVilles and Park Avenues. I've driven a standard '04 DeVille before (and thought highly of it), but haven't driven an Park Avenue Ultra before. I may do that this weekend, just to see what I think of it.

I don't know how much mileage plays into the blue book value, but I've looked up the blue book value on it (with the mileage) and I'd be happy to get the blue book "good" value from it. The difference between blue book "good" and blue book "excellent" is only about $700.

Just some first hand advice, I'm not to keen on the tranny's GM throws behind the 3.8 and the 3.8 supercharged engines. They are the 4T60E. I had a Monte Carlo SS and had nothing but problems with the tranny. They have very common problems such as the pressure control solenoid, boost valve, torque converter clutch burns out, and wire harness problems. I had the first two problems. And my 3rd gear was slipping when I said enough and got a newer caddy. You may not have problems though, just depends on how the person before you drove it. I think they did some adjustments for 03 and up though and are a little more reliable, but nothing like the caddy tranny. Personally, I would go with the deville. If I remember right, they have about the same power. The caddy will be a little more reliable and more standard features! They have the better tranny 4T80E. Just my $0.02

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

I also vote for option #3. Funny that a couple of us have tried the "garage queen" thing. I had a 1972 Olds Cutlass Supreme with the 455/turbo 400 combo. It was a beautiful car with 3 coats of true black paint with 6 coats of clear on top. I was scared to death of taking it out of the garage, and on the rare occasions I did it got about 8 miles per gallon :D Like Larry said, I preserved it for someone else.

Charles

Hmmm...I'm doing the same thing with one of my cars. Interesting perspective; certainly worth some thought on my part.

<!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto-->2007 DTS Performance - 50K

<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->

As a matter of fact, I <i>am</i> driving 70 MPH in a phone booth.

As I travel all the time, I rent cars all the time and some years back wound up with a Park Avenue Ultra on several occasions. Mostly in rural MI but once in Philadelphia when my flight to Baltimore was can'd so I drove. Wicked rain and t'storms.

I also have had to drive other Buicks from time to time, usually Lasabre's ... and never would I want any of those hideous granny cars. Also had a Rendezous, recently ... uggggh. Don't ask.

So, my impression from those experiences was that the PA Ultra was a very nice driver, comfy, reasonably good fuel use and the performance was very good. The suspension was taught enough to handle well and an added bonus is that the cops won't see it (ok, their radar will ... :) ). I also found the lines very sensual, in a Jaguar'esque way. It is not a Cadillac, not as fast, not as plush, but a competent driver. If in the market for a not so late model American sedan with driving competence, I would include the PA Ultra on my short list. I expect most of them were driven by older drivers, pampered and could be a bargain.

Have no knowledge of reliability, etc. But that was my impression ... Please don't through me off the board ... :)

Jason, I'd go with option #2.

I've been in your situation with my 97 STS ... I knew the car's history and sorted out many of the problems. I was seduced by the allure of a newer STS, and I overlooked some obvious problems which led me to sell the newer car and regret selling my 97.

You are in the unique position of knowing your SLS's history from day 1. The car has owed you nothing for the past few years, and probably deserves a bit of restoration. Also, it is a modern classic, with chiseled, muscular lines that rarely exist anymore.

When I see a 96/97 SLS/STS coming at me in the distance, I smile and instantly recognize it. I really can't say the same about any other 1990's sedan.

In the end, you're going to do what you ultimately want to do.

Take it from someone who dumped a nice '97 .... I wish I still owned my car.

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

Thanks guys. I sincerely appreciate your comments, and suggestions. I think I've made my mind up with Option 3, selling my Seville and looking at a newer DeVille (2000+). This SLS has been such a fantastic car for us, but I think it's time to let her be with a different home.

We looked at a few cars last night. I looked at a striking 2000 Eldorado. I've never much cared for them, but this one was in White Diamond with the chrome wheels and was pretty sharp. Only had 30,000 miles. It would have been a good price too, but my wife decided that with our young and growing family, a 4-door car (DeVille) was probably best (and I agree).

Going to possibly look at a 2000 DeVille today in Greensboro, in White Diamond. Also going to look at a 2002 DeVille in Cashmere in Lumberton. I saw a 2000 Cashmere DeVille in Dunn last night that I may want to look at again today, but the price was real low ($8900), and the miles were normal for that year (78k), so I tend to question that one.

Thanks again, and I'll list my '97 for sale in the classifieds section.

Good luck Jason, and keep us in the loop.

I just viewed your photo albums .... such a nice car.

I wouldn't be surprised if the first visitor grabs it on the spot.

Do you have any interest in the DTS, with the sportier interior?

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

Do you have any interest in the DTS, with the sportier interior?

If I could get a DeVille like I could an SLS, I'd do it. Basically, a "standard" Seville with the optinal analog gauges and console shifter. With the 275hp engine/3.11 drivetrain combo. With the soft ride suspension. With the 16" wheels. I like the affordability of the 16" tires, of the non-electronic shocks, and of the base DeVille in general. I also like having a hood ornament. The only thing I'd change about a base DeVille is adding the analog gauges, a la DHS, if that's even possible. If not, no biggie. If it is, maybe I'll look into that one day. Buying a lower-priced DeVille will allow me to have some extra money available to do things that I might like to do with it.

Thanks,

First, my condolences....

Second, I'd personally lean towards option 2 or 3....

But more important than that, I've seen this 100 times... people get some money unexpectedly, and can't wait to start blowing it.... and then it's gone, before they even take a breath.

I would urge you to sit tight for 30 days, and think first, take action second.

Do you have other debts? Credit cards? Other needs in your home?

If the car is the thing to do that's great, but don't be in any hurry. Test drive a pile of DeVilles, get the flavor of the differences yourself, firsthand....

I would also say, stay with a Cadillac. I have gone thru phases thru the years where I had no Caddy, and I dunno, a month after I sell it, I find my priorities turned upside down, with step 1 being to GET ANOTHER CADILLAC.... So be careful looking at other makes. It's harder than you think to go back....

Don't be in a hurry. The money will still be there in 30 days....

Thanks for your condolences. :)

No other debts, no credit card bills, and we're actually only using half the money on the Cadillac (the other half saving for daughter's school). I've actually been looking at Option 1 for a few months now (trying to find a small truck), and have only been looking at DeVilles for a short period of time. We've actually had the money for months. In terms of other needs in the home, this is really what that is -- no matter what brand/make/model I end up buying, I'm trying to do the smart thing, financially.

We drove one DeVille today and didn't even bother driving the second. The first one was filthy inside, and had a bad front wheel bearing. The second one was leaking coolant. Both had 7x,000 miles. This might be harder than it first seemed. Not everyone takes care of cars like I do.

Yes, it may take a while to find a good DeVille that I like. ;)

Archived