CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Front and Rear clunks

95SevilleSLS

Hello everybody!

I'm pretty annoyed at this point, so I thought that i'd see if you guys could help me figure it out!

Alright, first I have a front end clunk that only is felt when turning at slower speeds. I'm 99.9% sure that it's the intermidate steering shaft. Every GM that I've owned has had that dumb problem around 01-02. It feels exactly the same as my previous ones. This isn't what I'm trying to fix though.

The rear end clunk is starting to irrtate me. It's quite loud and coming from the drivers side. It at first seemed to be coming from the inside (around the top seat belt area or so). Then I sat back there while my girlfriend drove and it sounded like it was coming from the outside. I was thinking that it was coming from the shock. Thats where it seems like it's coming from. The dealer that I bought it from said that he had one of the rear shocks replaced, but I can't remember if it was the drivers side. Has anyone had this problem besides me or is this some service mistake? Thanks for all your help!

2002 Seville STS

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

Is there a rear stabilizer bar on these? Could it be stabilizer bar bushings? Do bushings on both sides go out at the same time or at different intervals? Could a bad shock cause a clunk? The ride of the car doesn't seem to be any different.

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

Usually when the struts are bad they clunk from my understanding.

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

Yes there are rear stabilizer bars and bushings and the bushings could be bad...

Also, the REAR KNUCKLE can cause a clunk... Check your rear knuckles... Push the rear quarter panel so that the rear of the car moves side to side and see if you can cause a noise. Inspect the rear knuckles. IF you air shock is DEAD, hitting a bump will radiate through the car... My rear air shock was dead... you can check that by detaching the shock and checking its dampening.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Yes there are rear stabilizer bars and bushings and the bushings could be bad...

Also, the REAR KNUCKLE can cause a clunk... Check your rear knuckles... Push the rear quarter panel so that the rear of the car moves side to side and see if you can cause a noise. Inspect the rear knuckles. IF you air shock is DEAD, hitting a bump will radiate through the car... My rear air shock was dead... you can check that by detaching the shock and checking its dampening.

Thanks! I'll try some of that stuff!

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

So I was turning into a parking lot today and I heard that rear clunk when I went over the ridge of the road and my service suspension sys light came on. I checked the codes and it was ABS C1288. I went a checked the code and it says this: C1288 - Steering Sensor Circuit Malfunction. I cleared it and it hasn't come back. Anyone know what the heck that was about?

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

So I was turning into a parking lot today and I heard that rear clunk when I went over the ridge of the road and my service suspension sys light came on. I checked the codes and it was ABS C1288. I went a checked the code and it says this: C1288 - Steering Sensor Circuit Malfunction. I cleared it and it hasn't come back. Anyone know what the heck that was about?

DTC C1287 or C1288

Circuit Description

The vehicle stability enhancement system (VSES) is activated by the electronic brake control mdoule (EBCM) calculating the desired yaw rate and comparing it to the actual yaw rate input. The desired yaw rate is calculated from measured steering wheel position, vehicle speed, and lateral acceleration. The difference between the desired yaw rate and actual yaw rate is the yaw rate error, which is a measurement of oversteer or understeer. If the yaw rate error becomes too large, the EBCM will attempt to correct the vehicle's yaw motion by applying differential braking to the left or right front wheel.

The amount of differential braking applied to the left or right front wheel is based on both the yaw rate error and side slip rate error. The side slip rate error is a function of the lateral acceleration minus the product of the yaw rate and vehicle speed. The yaw rate error and side slip rate error are combined to produce the total delta velocity error. When the delta velocity error becomes too large and the VSES system activates, the drivers steering inputs combined with the differential braking will attempt to bring the delta velocity error toward zero.

The VSES activations generally occur during aggressive driving, in the turns or bumpy roads without much use of the accelerator pedal. When braking during VSES activation, the brake pedal will feel different than the ABS pedal pulsation. The brake pedal pulsates at a higher frequency during VSES activation.

Conditions for Running the DTC

The ignition is ON.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

C1287

One of the following conditions exists:

The steering wheel position sensor is synchronized and the steer rate (speed that the steering wheel appears to be turning) is greater than 1100 degrees/second.

The steer rate is less than 80 degrees/second and the difference in the phase angle between Phase A and Phase B is greater than 20 degrees.

The 2 steering sensor signals (Phase A and Phase B) do not agree for 1 second. Under this condition, this DTC will set along with DTC C1281.

C1288

One of the following conditions exists:

Both Phase A and Phase B are greater than 4.9 volts for 1.6 seconds.

Both Phase A and Phase B are less than 0.2 volts for 1.6 seconds.

The difference in the changes in Phase A and Phase B is greater than 35.2 degrees for 9.76 milliseconds.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

The EBCM disables the VSES for the duration of the ignition cycle.

The DIC displays the Service Stability System message.

The ABS/TCS remains functional.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC

The condition for the DTC is no longer present and the DTC is cleared with a scan tool.

The EBCM automatically clears the history DTC when a current DTC is not detected in 100 consecutive drive cycles.

Diagnostic Aids

The following conditions can cause this concern:

Improper steering alignment.

Open, short to ground, or short to voltage.

Internal lateral accelerometer failure.

EBCM internal failure.

Test Description

The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.

Perform the Steering Position Sensor Test in order to verify if the steering wheel position sensor (SWPS) is operating properly.

Tests for the proper operation of the steering wheel position signal A circuit in the low voltage range.

Tests for the proper operation of the steering wheel position signal B circuit in the low voltage range.

Tests for the proper operation of the steering wheel position signal A circuit in the high voltage range. If the fuse in the jumper opens when you perform this test, the signal circuit is shorted to ground.

Tests for the proper operation of the steering wheel position signal B circuit in the high voltage range. If the fuse in the jumper opens when you perform this test, the signal circuit is shorted to ground.

Tests for a short to voltage in the 5-volt reference circuit.

Tests for a high resistance or an open in the low reference circuit.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Another source of rear clunk is the brake caliper (the brakepads linings hitting the braket). If you can associate the rear clunk with bumps on the road apply the brakes slightly before hitting a bump. If the rear clunk disappears, it is brake-related.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Thanks both of you for responding! I didn't quite understand all of the technical stuff about the stability stuff, but I'm going to go try to get the stability contorl to kick in and see if it does it again.

I'm also going to try the brake thing and get back to you guys.

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

So I went and tested both the clunk with the brakes and the VSES. It still clunks while using the brakes before I go over the bump and using it while I go over the bump.

I also tested the stabiltrac and it works just fine. It must have been a glitch. Or maybe it's just a sensor going out.

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

Archived