CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

EGR Valve trouble

zweekerb0y

Alright. Yesterday, when I was coming home on the highway, my service engine light came on. So when I got home (15mins later), I checked the error code (E048), I looked it up, and it turned out to be a EGR valve error. So I checked the EGR valve out, and the vacuum cable was split, a clean cut.

I don't think it's been replaced ever since it was new, because it was hard, and brittle. Well, when I was seeing if I could just tape it on for a while, it just fell apart. And I couldn't seem to find a small enough tube for it. It was late at night, so I just called it a night, and went to my friends house (as I was planning). So today I came back to it, and measured the tube, and went to a few auto stores looking for a small enough tube. Which unfortunately couldn't find any of the right size (the connectors were too small). Well, the engine still runs, just stinky exhaust, and somewhat rough idling.

I asked the guy at the auto store, and he said that they could order a special vacuum tube for my EGR vavle, but it won't come in until Monday evening, or Tuesday.

So, would the car be safe to drive to work in the morning, and again later at night? Only totaling about 5miles.

FYI, I think the tube has been broken for a while, because my car has been rough idling for a while, and had stinky exhaust, but it didn't loose the good connection until I took it on the high way, then it must of fell off, and trip the sensor.

Yeah, it'll be OK to drive, but I think it is just a simple 1/8" vacuum hose. Go to another auto parts store.

Alright, thanks.

Yeh, they had like 1/6", and then 1/2", and all of the connectors, or nipple's, w/e you wanna call them, the same size as the tubes, nut none the right size for my car, they were all out :blink: .

But they had some that weren't at that shop, for the same size as my type of EGR valve, for like 5$ (free shipping), so I'll just get that :P . An easy fix, and more sure that it'll fit, lol.

I remember my parent's van got it's EGR valve clogged on a vacation, and it ran for 50miles, before stopping in a town to get it inspected, all it did was rough idle and have stinky exhaust. The inspector said it was just a carbon build-up in the system, which shouldn't harm anything. I just wanted to be sure that it'll be same as in my car, except it's not carbon build up, but just a broken EGR valve vacuum cable.

Yeah, it'll be OK to drive, but I think it is just a simple 1/8" vacuum hose. Go to another auto parts store.

Alright, thanks.

Yeh, they had like 1/6", and then 1/2", and all of the connectors, or nipple's, w/e you wanna call them, the same size as the tubes, nut none the right size for my car, they were all out :blink: .

But they had some that weren't at that shop, for the same size as my type of EGR valve, for like 5$ (free shipping), so I'll just get that :P . An easy fix, and more sure that it'll fit, lol.

I remember my parent's van got it's EGR valve clogged on a vacation, and it ran for 50miles, before stopping in a town to get it inspected, all it did was rough idle and have stinky exhaust. The inspector said it was just a carbon build-up in the system, which shouldn't harm anything. I just wanted to be sure that it'll be same as in my car, except it's not carbon build up, but just a broken EGR valve vacuum cable.

The code might be also set because of plugged two EGR tubes inside of the Throttle Body (TB). Clean them with a coat hanger. Check all the vacuum tubes and particularly the rubber elbows. Replace with a vacuum tube. It's strange the sore did not have anything close.

E048 is okay for driving, but it may affect the fuel economy, exhaust quality and provoke a spark knock at slight throttle when engine is hot.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Alrighty, I just got the tube, and replaced the old broken one, took the car around the block, seems to be running better, but the engine light is still on, and the code is still 'current'. I did disconnect the battery, left it disconnected for like a min. But it's still showing 'service engine soon'.

Is there anything else I need to do to reset the computer?

Thanks in advance. B)

That should clear the code, but try pulling them again, then use the HIGH FAN button to answer YES and the LOW FAN button to answer NO to the prompt til you see CLEAR CODES?

Alrighty, I just got the tube, and replaced the old broken one, took the car around the block, seems to be running better, but the engine light is still on, and the code is still 'current'. I did disconnect the battery, left it disconnected for like a min. But it's still showing 'service engine soon'.

Is there anything else I need to do to reset the computer?

Thanks in advance. B)

You did not clean two EGR tubes INSIDE throttle body... do it and you'll get rid of the code and SES. You do not need to disconnect the battery. Just clear the code AFTER cleaning these two tubes.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Archived