CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

electrical problems

morgan

Hi folks. I have a 97 STS and I am experiencing some electrical problems. It all seemed to start after I washed it. There was ice and snow around the wipers and I used warm water to get rid of it. Shortly after that the car started doing strange things. The alarm goes off for no reason, the radio will stay on after I’ve taken the key out and locked the doors; which is draining my battery (purchased 1 week ago). I decided to pull out the fuses one at a time. When I pulled out the 30 amp wiper fuse the radio went off. I left the fuse out and started the car and the radio came back on. ????? Any suggestions on what is going on? It seems like it’s possessed. Thx. Morgan.

Sounds like you have some wet and now frozen connectors. I would start at the wiper connector and get it warm enough to eliminate the ice (hair dryer?) and follow that with WD-40 to eliminate the moisture and follow that with brake cleaner to eliminate other (metallic) contamination. Inspect the wire harness for breaks and cracks also.

Your battery terminals might benefit from a thorough cleaning also.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Hi folks. I have a 97 STS and I am experiencing some electrical problems. It all seemed to start after I washed it. There was ice and snow around the wipers and I used warm water to get rid of it. Shortly after that the car started doing strange things. The alarm goes off for no reason, the radio will stay on after I’ve taken the key out and locked the doors; which is draining my battery (purchased 1 week ago). I decided to pull out the fuses one at a time. When I pulled out the 30 amp wiper fuse the radio went off. I left the fuse out and started the car and the radio came back on. ????? Any suggestions on what is going on? It seems like it’s possessed. Thx. Morgan.

Thanks for the advice...I'll give it a try. Do you think that'll set of the alarm though? I'll have a look at it and try the WD40. hopefully that will do the trick. I'll let you know how it works. Thanks.

Morgan

Archived