CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Passenger Window/Door Rattle

GreenMachine

I know a 98 is getting up there in years but I am trying to locate something that could be rattling, usually when its cold, in my passenger door. Just by hitting it I can hear it. Doesn't do it when the window is all the way down (not sure if even when partially down). Sometimes I can I bring the window down and then send it up quick and it seems to tighten. I think its the window chattering but it seems tight so my guess is its something down in the door sending sound up, I've tried everything to get it tight and the rattle remains.

Could be something with its track? Don't know, any suggestions welcome

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

Rattles like that can drive you bonkers! My '94 Eldo had a rattle in the right door that turned out to be two long rods banging together. As I remember, one was the door latch rod and the other worked the door lock. They ran nearly the full length of the door and banged together where crossed in the middle. Simple to fix once I figured out what was doing it.

Can you find a way to make the rattle happen reliably? I often find I can set off such a rattle by driving so the wheels of the car are running over the little raised reflectors along the stripes in the roadway or by driving over cobblestone paving. If you can find such a reliable rattle-producing situation, try having a friend drive the car like that while you ride in the passenger's seat. If you can do that with the interior trim off the door, you should be able to track it down fairly easily.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

Well if I bang on it or slam it it will happen, I've had the door cover off but aborted when having to remove the airbag to see anything. I'll stop by the dealer to get their opinion, on what it could be. I'll start walking away when they ask if I would like a new door or window and then how much I can afford on trade in :P

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

Archived