CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

fuel injection cleaner

raz

If you are not experiencing a problem related to possible clogged / dirty injectors, I would not add anything anywhere anytime.

The risk is the solvents used in some of those "repair in a bottle" products can dissolve the insulation on pump motor and injector solenoid windings.

The additive packages in pump gasoline are pretty good at not fouling injectors; at least that has been my experience after many years and too many miles with fuel injected engines.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I try to use Chevron when I can find it, it has Techron in it. If you can't find a Chevron, you can try Techron, the small container, and I only use it on a trip where I am going to run it out really really fast. See the Chevron fuel site here:

http://www.chevron.com/products/prodserv/fuels/

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

If it's running fine, but you see a minor issue with gas mileage or such, and you normally run regular gas, just put a tank or two of brand-name 93 octane (or 92 octane, or 94 octane, or whatever the top grade is) and drive it out on the highway. If you normally run premium gas, you probably don't need your injectors cleaned unless you got some water in the gas, in which case you can continue using premium and drive it out unless it is really bad.

If you normally drive 100% of the time at 1/4 throttle or less, you might try a WOT treatment to clean out the carbon and clear the plugs.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

If you are not experiencing a problem related to possible clogged / dirty injectors, I would not add anything anywhere anytime.

The risk is the solvents used in some of those "repair in a bottle" products can dissolve the insulation on pump motor and injector solenoid windings.

The additive packages in pump gasoline are pretty good at not fouling injectors; at least that has been my experience after many years and too many miles with fuel injected engines.

I couldn't agree more. I have never used an additive and have yet to replace an injector.

Hey im pretty new to the site but maybe this will help you out some. Im in an auto tech class at school and we just started to wrap up our fuel systems unit. And One of the things we learned abotu Was using the "Motorvac". Which its more involved then dumping the solvent in the tank and running it. But i know the vechiles we used it on all saw improvment in idle and gas mialge. Im not sure of the cost to have shops do it as we only payed about 15 bucks to do it to a vechile and thats just for the solvent. And the first time we ran it was free. But theres like a few ways to do it. You put a gallon of as in the motorvac. and attached the suply to supply and return to return and put the loop line on them as well coming from the tank. And then you run the machine 15-30 mins. which cleaned the fuel rail. Then turn the car on and run in again and that cleanes the injectors. I Did it on a 2001 f-150 and a 1994 thunderbird. Which Both seemed to work well. Im replacing the fuel pump and filter in my 1990 devile and will be runnign the machine on that. For me its defently worth the money only 15 bucks. But im not sure how much shops cost. But maybe giev some shops in the area a call and ask if they offer motorvac cleaning on your vechile. Maybe this will work for you.

The GM procedure for cleaning injectors is to use a "special tool" that holds a gallon of gas and some GM injector cleaner, and hooks to the FPR. You put the gas and injector cleaner in it, hook it to the FPR, and pressurize it to 45 psi with shop air. Then you start and let the engine idle for about a half hour until it runs out the fuel. Then, you do it again.

This sounds very much like the "Motorvac" that you are talking about.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Only diffrence im hearing is the hooking it up to compressed air. The machine we have connects to the battery and has an internal fuel pump that pressurizes it to 40psi i do belive i may be wrong. The machine can fuill with gas from the tank of the car or hand fil it. But then you run the machine first. Then start the car and run it. Its a pretty neat machine though. And thats what i loev about taking this class. Its a free class to take because its given threw my shcool. I can become a certified mechanic. Just need to pay for the test. And i can use alot of nifty tools.

The GM "special tool" has a compressed air tank so you don't need to have anything hooked up to it when you are running the injector cleaner through the car. The whole point of this is that the injector cleaner can be anything that won't harm the FPR, fuel rail, and injectors, and the fuel pump with its vulnerable electrical insulation isn't involved. It sounds like the "Motorvac" would work if its fuel pressure is consistent with Cadillac's, and the gas lines match up (uh, adapter?.

The GM procedure for cleaning injectors is to use a "special tool" that holds a gallon of gas and some GM injector cleaner, and hooks to the FPR. You put the gas and injector cleaner in it, hook it to the FPR, and pressurize it to 45 psi with shop air. Then you start and let the engine idle for about a half hour until it runs out the fuel. Then, you do it again.

This sounds very much like the "Motorvac" that you are talking about.

I assume you replace the FPR with this special tool? Can't imagine any other way.

Archived