CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Engine beauty cover

mmarinov

I was thinking of adding some insulation to replace and enhance the old polyethylene foam on the bottom of my sight shield to enhance the insulation properties. I figure that if I do that, and add a layer of insulation around the air intake hose to the air cleaner, I might get air a degree or two cooler air into the intake charge. I haven't taken the time to find follow through, finding something totally fire-resistant, etc.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

It sure looks like a 94 cover to me. Your codes are OBDI. Are you sure that the cover is not metal? Do a scratch test in a place that is not noticable on the gray area. The emblem is plastic but the cover should be metal.

Does your outside temperature sensor work? I noticed it hanging down in front of the radiator or is it made that way for a ETC.

Well, I am sure now. Thank you all for your responses...it looks like plastic, and when knocked on feels like plastic but after the scratch test it's definitely metal. I took the cover off (I was going to remove the Torx screws but my 19.2 was dead) and it is integrated with the intake.

Thanks for everyone's help - sorry I misunderstood :)

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

My outside temp. sensor does work - I don't know if it's supposed to look like that, but I'd appreciate anyone's input if it looks wrong.

Thanks!

Mark

<!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto-->2007 DTS Performance - 50K

<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->

As a matter of fact, I <i>am</i> driving 70 MPH in a phone booth.

Cool, thanks for the followup. Save for the 8 perimeter bolts, that's the exact piece, in plastic, that's found on the 95+ engines. The four "inner" bolt holes are even in exactly the same place.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

If you did not take the torx screws out then you did not take the cover off. You just lifted the whole intake manifold up. If you unplug the wiring harness, a couple of fuel lines, and a vacuum hose or 2 and you can take the manifold out, which includes the throttle body and the injectors. Under the manifold there are 2 phenolic plate spacers one on each side. They are plastic plates and they just sit in between the manifold and the heads with reusable gaskets. If you unplug the wiring harness and lift the manifold up a little you can see them on top of the heads. There are some dowels that keep them in place. You can raise the manifold up about 2 inches or so without taking the fuel lines off. I used wood 2x4 blocks to hold it up so I could remove the plates. These plates get carboned up quite easily and need periodic cleaning. I just used a flat scraper and screwdriver to scrape away the carbon build up. Also you can clean up the top of the head including the mouse holes that clears the egr passages. Be careful to use a vacuum cleaner to keep any carbon from dropping into the heads. If you clean the plates you will notice that the car will run a lot better. There is more info on this in the archives with pictures. I have scanned pictures from my Shop manual of the intake service and torx screw tightening sequence. If you will PM me with your email address and I can send them to you. They are too big for me to post.

I was thinking of adding some insulation to replace and enhance the old polyethylene foam on the bottom of my sight shield to enhance the insulation properties. I figure that if I do that, and add a layer of insulation around the air intake hose to the air cleaner, I might get air a degree or two cooler air into the intake charge. I haven't taken the time to find follow through, finding something totally fire-resistant, etc.

Could use the outside temp sensor to prob the intake air (or stick it under the beauty cover) to keep a really close eye on ambient temps for the intake. I still think with that cover off it'll stay cooler. One way to find out. :D

The phenolic plates are heat insulators. A street rod trick is to add a phenolic spacer under the carburetor and block the heat riser to keep the carburetor and intake manifold cooler. The spacer shows that the Northstar team did this with the F.I. too.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I have scanned pictures from my Shop manual of the intake service and torx screw tightening sequence. If you will PM me with your email address and I can send them to you. They are too big for me to post.

Thanks, Paul T; I sent you a PM. Thanks to all for your input - glad you are all here.

MM

<!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto-->2007 DTS Performance - 50K

<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->

As a matter of fact, I <i>am</i> driving 70 MPH in a phone booth.

Archived