CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Need data for 2000 STS heated seat repair

AFBear

Does anyone have the 2000 STS FSM or AllData schematics or troubleshooting to repair this seat? I have a Haynes manual but it doesn't cover heated seats.

Found a lot of good data and pictures on this forum and I'm ready to start tearing into it!! I have an intermittent driver's seat heat problem. The element was replaced under warranty 3 years ago. When it doesn't work, and the switch is on, the relay (looks like it's in the module under the seat on this model) clicks every 15 seconds. So I figure, it's either a frayed or loose connection somewhere or an element wiring that is broken and sometimes touching and sometimes not. Before I open this baby up and do something dumb, I want to make sure I don't set something off!! If anyone has the schematics and/or troubleshooting for this year/model, could you please post or PM me??

Thanks!!!

Jim

Before I open this baby up and do something dumb, I want to make sure I don't set something off!! If anyone has the schematics and/or troubleshooting for this year/model, could you please post or PM me??

Thanks!!!

Jim

I'm sure others will chime in here, but have you tried turning the switch Hi/Low/Off rapidly for about 20 seconds? I have done so on mine (it was intermittently clicking as well) and that seemed to have cleared out the contacts.

Mark

<!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto-->2007 DTS Performance - 50K

<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->

As a matter of fact, I <i>am</i> driving 70 MPH in a phone booth.

Jim

I'm sure others will chime in here, but have you tried turning the switch Hi/Low/Off rapidly for about 20 seconds? I have done so on mine (it was intermittently clicking as well) and that seemed to have cleared out the contacts.

Mark

Good put, Mark!! Haven't tried that specifically, but I know my wife keeps trying. I figured if the relay keeps cycling when the switch is on (either high or low) and there is no heat, that the switch is working. But I can't be sure without a schematic. I'll pull the switch out and try to clean the contacts with a contact cleaner. Thanks for the idea!!

check the resistance, most likely the element is gone again. This is MOD. (fig 15 and 16th ill try to attach)

1. Perform HEATED SEAT SYSTEM CHECK under TROUBLE SHOOTING. Go to next step.

2. Disconnect suspect heated seat module connector C-1. Using DVOM, backprobe for voltage between

ground and connector C-1 terminal "B" (Orange wire). See WIRING DIAGRAMS . See Fig. 15 . If

readings are 10-15 volts, go to next step. If readings are not 10-15 volts, go to step 13 .

3. Using DVOM, backprobe for voltage between suspect heated seat module connector C-1 terminals

"B" (Orange wire) and "E" (Black wire). If readings are 10-15 volts, go to next step. If readings are not

10-15 volts, go to step 17 .

4. Turn ignition switch to ON position. Using DVOM, backprobe for voltage between ground and suspect

heated seat module connector C-1 terminal "A" (Brown wire). If readings are 10-15 volts, go to next step.

If readings are not 10-15 volts, go to step 18 .

5. Turn ignition switch to OFF position. Using DVOM, measure resistance between ground and heated seat

module connector C-1 terminal "C" (driver's side, Purple wire; passenger's side, Purple to Pink/Black

wire). Depress suspect heated seat switch located by shifter in center console. If reading is less than 5

volts, go to step 9 . If reading is greater than 5 ohms, go to next step.

6. Disconnect suspect heated seat switch connector. For driver's heated seat, use DVOM to measure

resistance between heated seat module connector C-1 terminal "C" and front heated seat switch connector

terminal "C" (Purple wire). For passenger's heated seat, use DVOM to measure resistance between heated

seat module connector C-1 terminal "C" and front heated seat switch connector terminal "C" (Purple to

Pink/Black wire). See Fig. 15 and Fig. 16 . If reading is less than 5 ohms, go to next step. If resistance is

greater than 5 ohms, go to step 19 .

7. Using DVOM, measure resistance between suspect heated seat switch connector terminal "C" (driver's

side, Purple wire; passenger's side, Pink/Black wire) and terminal "D" (Black wire). Depress suspect front

heated seat switch. If reading is less than 5 ohms, go to next step. If resistance is greater than 5 ohms, go

to step 20 .

8. Repair open in Black wire between splice and suspect front heated seat switch connector terminal "D".

Splice is located in center console approximately 7.5" (19 cm) from heated seat switch connector. After

repairs, go to HEATED SEAT SYSTEM CHECK under TROUBLE SHOOTING.

9. Disconnect suspect front heated seat module connector C-2 and C-3. Using DVOM, measure resistance

between front heated seat module connector C-3 terminals "A" and "B". See Fig. 15 . If reading is less

than 1.5-10 ohms, go to next step. If reading is greater than 1.5-10 ohms, go to step 21 .

10. Using DVOM, measure resistance between suspect front heated seat module connector C-2 terminals "A"

and "B". See Fig. 15 . If reading is less than 1.5-10 ohms, go to next step. If reading is greater than 1.5-10

ohms, go to step 22 .

11. Using DVOM, measure resistance between front heated seat module connector C-2 terminals "C" and

"D". Ensure seat is at ambient temperature during this step. If seat is warm, resistance values will not be

within specifications. If reading is 850-1150 ohms, go to next step. If reading is not 850-1150 ohms, go to

step 22 .

12. Replace front heated seat module. See HEATED SEAT MODULES under REMOVAL &

INSTALLATION. After replacement, go to HEATED SEAT SYSTEM CHECK under TROUBLE

SHOOTING.

13. Check HTDSTLF (driver's side) and HTDSTRF (passenger's side) fuses in rear junction block located

under rear seat cushion. If fuse is blown, go to step 16 . If fuse is okay, go to step 18 .

14. Repair short to ground in Orange wire between suspect front heated seat module and rear junction block.

After repairs, go to next step.

1999 Cadillac Seville STS

1999 ACCESSORIES & EQUIPMENT' 'Power Seats - Seville

bib

Tuesday, February 06, 2007 2:46:53 PM Page 1 © 2005 Mitchell Repair Information Company, LLC.

47:00

15. Replace HTDSTLF (driver's side) and HTDSTRF (passenger's side) fuses. After replacement, go to

HEATED SEAT SYSTEM CHECK under TROUBLE SHOOTING.

16. Repair open in Orange wire between suspect front heated seat module and rear junction block. After

17. Repair open in Black wire between suspect heated seat module and related splice. Driver's side splice

(with A45) is located approximately 20" (50 cm) from forward/back position sensor connector. Driver's

side splice (without A45) is located approximately 20" (50 cm) from lumbar switch connector.

Passenger's side splice is located approximately 25" (63.5 cm) from passenger's heated seat module

connector. After repairs, go to HEATED SEAT SYSTEM CHECK under TROUBLE SHOOTING.

18. Repair open in Brown wire between rear junction block and suspect front heated seat module. After

19. Repair open in Purple wire (driver's side) or Purple to Pink/Black wire (passenger's side) between suspect

front heated seat module and switch. After repairs, go to HEATED SEAT SYSTEM CHECK under

TROUBLE SHOOTING.

20. Replace suspect front heated seat switch. After replacement go to HEATED SEAT SYSTEM CHECK

under TROUBLE SHOOTING.

21. Replace suspect front heated seat back. See SEAT CUSHIONS & COVERS under REMOVAL &

SHOOTING.

22. Replace front heated seat bottom cushion. See SEAT CUSHIONS & COVERS under REMOVAL &

SHOOTING.

bib

Tuesday, February 06, 2007 2:46:53 PM Page 2 © 2005 Mitchell Repair Information Company, LLC.

Here is what MOD says for the removal of the cushions.

SEAT CUSHIONS & COVERS

Removal & Installation - Front Seat Bottom Cushion

Remove front seat. See SEAT ASSEMBLY . Remove lap belt retractor cover. Remove front seat back trim

cover by pulling outward on upper and lower parts of cover. Disconnect heated seat cushion electrical connector

and/or air lines for adaptive lumbar assembly. Remove clips attaching harness to seat bottom. Turn seat over

and remove seat cover "J" retainers from seat bottom cushion. Remove power seat switch. See POWER SEAT

SWITCHES . Remove nuts attaching seat bottom to adjuster frame. Remove by lifting upward in front and

pulling forward to release retainers. To install, reverse removal procedure.

Removal & Installation - Front Seat Back Cushion

Remove trim from rear of seat. Remove 2 seatback cushion cover screws. Using Door Trim Pad Clip Remover

(J-38778), remove retainer from center of seatback cushion cover. Remove cover. Remove seatbelt retractors.

Remove headrest assembly. See SEAT MOTORS . Remove side impact air bag. See SIDE IMPACT AIR

BAG . Disconnect any air lines and/or electrical connectors from seatback. Unhook "J" channels retaining

seatback cover to frame. Remove cover and pad. To install, reverse removal procedure.

WARNING: Deactivate air bag system before performing any service operation. See

appropriate AIR BAG RESTRAINT SYSTEMS article.

WARNING: Deactivate air bag system before performing any service operation. See

appropriate AIR BAG RESTRAINT SYSTEMS article. Remove front seat.

See SEAT ASSEMBLY .

bib

Tuesday, February 06, 2007 2:54:24 PM Page 1 © 2005 Mitchell Repair Information Company, LLC.

Fig15.pdf

Fig16.pdf

check the resistance, most likely the element is gone again. This is MOD. (fig 15 and 16th ill try to attach)

Great post Steve6!!! Would you happen to have the wiring diagrams and/or seat removal instructions? What is "MOD"?

The connector.pdfs came through fine.

Thanks again!! Jim

Removal of the seat cushion is on my last post as well, dosnt really say too much.

Thanks again Steve6!!! Believe it or not, I'm used to reading electrical schematics!!

The seat cushion removal instructions have you remove the seat first "Remove front seat. See SEAT ASSEMBLY ." That's where I'm a little antsy given the air bag restraint warnings

Archived