CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Ambient sensor

kev2

96- concourse-northstar

ITS cold out!!! @20degF my dispaly is telliing me its 70Deg, any ideas or input to help me,

can I calibrate OR do I need to repalce ambient sensor if so where is it- conviently located right?

TIA

kevin

Does it read 70*F all the time?

Look at the very front of the engine compartment, behind the grille, in front of the radiator. It might be located near the collision sensor.

Good luck.

2003 Seville STS 43k miles with the Bose Sound, Navigation System, HID Headlamps, and MagneRide

1993 DeVille. Looks great inside and out! 298k miles!

IPB Image

No it is not stuck at 70, later it was reading in the 60's..... but not even close...

does engine management use this sensor or is it solely for information?

wondering if rough cold start could be affected by incorrect reading....I believe the engine uses IAT and ECT for metering..but not sure if related

It needs to be replaced. I am not sure if engine management uses it but the HVAC system does. It can't be too expensive and is very easy to access. It should be mounted to the hood latch brace.

I did some research on this a few years back.

It's been some time, so I'm a little "foggy" on it, but my recollection is that it's entirely independent of the engine management system.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I suspect you are correct Warren, but I am pretty sure it is used in the oil life calibration.

Interesting Larry, but I don't have any info on that; I'll look into it.

This might be a good moment to hijack a corner of this thread (with apologies).

I have asked periodically for help on a relatively minor, but annoying problem. No solutions have been forthcoming.

My DIC indicates correct engine coolant temps and the "Outside Temp" display indicates correctly as well. Nonetheless, my blower motor comes on like gangbusters a few moments after I start my car in sub-freezing temperatures. OUCH! It's just not needed or desired.

The Climate Control should not ignite the blower motor until coolant temps reach about 105 degrees Fahrenheit or so. Just the same, it comes on pronto. Darned annoying.

I wonder if these issues might be related? I'm inclined to think not, but . . . .

Ideas anyone?

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I suspect you are correct Warren, but I am pretty sure it is used in the oil life calibration.

Larry,

I had a look around and found this:

"Q: How many miles can I expect to go between oil changes when using this system?

A: It will vary.The beauty of the GM Oil Life System is that it automatically adjusts the oil-change interval based upon engine characteristics, your driving habits, and the climate in which you have been operating your vehicle. For instance, mild highway driving in a warm climate will maximize the interval between required oil changes. Depending on the vehicle,this could be as high as 12,000 miles.On the other hand, short-trip driving in a cold climate may limit the interval between oil changes to 3,000 miles or less. In general, most people who combine city and highway driving find that the GM Oil Life System will indicate the vehicle needs an oil change every 5,000 to 6,000 miles.Most people maintain consistent driving habits.This means their mileage between required oil changes will be consistent."

You'll recognize the source: http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac-tech.html#oillife

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

My OIL CHANGE message showed up yesterday. 12,457 miles since last oil change. The last oil change was at 12,700+ miles and I didn't wait for the message to show up that time.

Mobil-1 5W-30.

As for the Ambient temps being included in the OLI, I dunno. They could just as easily (or even better) calculate the OLI using the oil temp sensor.

2003 Seville STS 43k miles with the Bose Sound, Navigation System, HID Headlamps, and MagneRide

IPB Image

Mobil-1 5W-30.

As for the Ambient temps being included in the OLI, I dunno. They could just as easily (or even better) calculate the OLI using the oil temp sensor.

The PCM has no way of knowing what oil you use.

Oil temperature sensor? Where is that located?

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

The Climate Control should not ignite the blower motor until coolant temps reach about 105 degrees Fahrenheit or so. Just the same, it comes on pronto. Darned annoying.

Warren:

This you probably already know (but my car is older than yours so it may be different). Whenever I set the CCC blower speed to all the way HI, regardless of engine temp, the blower respects my wishes. Yours comes on like gangbusters at all settings though?

Man that would be annoying. Tell ya what, mine works just fine. Time for you and me to do an Eldorado swap??!! That will fix the problem for sure for ya ;)

<!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto-->2007 DTS Performance - 50K

<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->

As a matter of fact, I <i>am</i> driving 70 MPH in a phone booth.

Warren,

That is exactly what I was getting at.

Regarding the blower, mine comes on as well when I start it, albeit at low speed and does not bring the speed up til the engine temp reaches the preset 100 degrees (or whatever it is).

Thu,

There is no oil temp sensor (as Jim eludes to).

Oops...I meant coolant temp sensor.

IPB Image

This you probably already know (but my car is older than yours so it may be different). Whenever I set the CCC blower speed to all the way HI, regardless of engine temp, the blower respects my wishes. Yours comes on like gangbusters at all settings though?

Man that would be annoying. Tell ya what, mine works just fine. Time for you and me to do an Eldorado swap??!! That will fix the problem for sure for ya ;)

Actually, no; not like gangbusters. I mispoke. It comes on about five seconds after the car is started and at the same speed it was set at when I last shut the car down. I *try* to remember to set the blower on LOW before I kill the ignition.

As for the swap, are you throwing in your first-born or will it be your wife? :lol::lol::lol:

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

Warren, If you leave the temp control in the AUTO position w/no blower input it should wait till the temp comes up before raising the fan speed.

If the fan speed has been increased manually it will stay that way when you restart the car.

Pressing the Auto button before shutting of the car should do it.

Archived