CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Perfect bill of health from the dealer shop. but...

mrdna7

Got a 90 Seville a few weeks back, beautiful inside and out, no codes - excellent ride. On the down-side, no paperwork either. Carfax says it's gotten regular service, and certainly the car appears well maintained. Was having a minor problem with a hard down-shift from 2nd to 1st now and again (depending on temp, I think) and was informed it was probably the ISC by folks here at caddyinfo.

Took it to the local Caddy dealer and got it run through: fluids flushed and changed, throttle body cleaned, filters changed, standard stuff. Asked to have the ISC looked at as well.

Unsure if they did ck out the ISC, but the (allegedly bad) TPS was replaced... Was told they had a hard time finding things to work on as the car is 'a peach'. I agree overall :) however I now have a little hitch when starting from a dead stop (annoying) and the tranny up-shifts are a bit harder than prior to service (and the TPS replacement). Have felt the hard down-shift from 2 to 1 a few times since service as well.

How should I approach the dealer about this? I did ask them to look at the ISC, but I do assume the dealership knows more than me about what needs to be ck'd, however the tranny feels like its more outta whack now than before I took it in. Nothing on the (big) bill mentions cking the ISC... This -is- a 17 yo vehicle and I don't imagine they deal with OBD1 comps often...

No codes before and no codes now. No mechanic here but I do have the FSM and can understand just enough to be dangerous. Can't figure this one tho...

Its really hard here to determine if your 2 to 1 shift is related to a high idle or your tranny.. THEY need to test drive the car and determine what the problem is, especially if its intermittant as it seems. BTW your TPS can show an intermittant TPS code. Have you checked for codes ever?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Took it to the local Caddy dealer and got it run through: fluids flushed and changed, throttle body cleaned, filters changed, standard stuff. Asked to have the ISC looked at as well.

Was the transmission fluid "flushed"? What other fluids were "flushed"? It is widely known on this board that when older transmissions are "flushed" that problems are right around the corner.

I may be wrong, and someone will correct me if so, but doesn't the car have to relearn something after a TPS change? If so, then this may account for the harsh shifts. Maybe it is the ISC motor but, they may have disconnected or adjusted it. See if the shifts soften up in a day or so. Not sure how long it is supposed to take (assuming I am correct).

I may be wrong, and someone will correct me if so, but doesn't the car have to relearn something after a TPS change? If so, then this may account for the harsh shifts. Maybe it is the ISC motor but, they may have disconnected or adjusted it. See if the shifts soften up in a day or so. Not sure how long it is supposed to take (assuming I am correct).

Yes it will run a little rough if the idle learn has not been performed. I can't remember how many cycles it is though.

Its really hard here to determine if your 2 to 1 shift is related to a high idle or your tranny.. THEY need to test drive the car and determine what the problem is, especially if its intermittant as it seems. BTW your TPS can show an intermittant TPS code. Have you checked for codes ever?

You mentioned in another thread to me that the ISC could possibly be related, but true, it is very intermittent and I can't seem to find a consistent factor involved other than -possibly- temperature, though I'm only going by approx coolant temps and it could be relative rather than causative. Or, more likely, piss poor analysis on my part... ;)

I check the codes every few days. When I purchased the car (about a month ago) there were no active codes and about a half dozen showing as history. No codes -at all- have been thrown since. ATM there are no active nor in history and I haven't cleared the codes since when I bought it.

Was the transmission fluid "flushed"? What other fluids were "flushed"? It is widely known on this board that when older transmissions are "flushed" that problems are right around the corner.

Doesn't appear so; FI was "power flushed" as was the cooling system. Other than that they did a lube/oil/filter, replaced the fuel filter, cleaned the TB, and replaced the TPS.

The service order notes they did a relearn and test drove the car but couldn't duplicate the problem of the 2nd to 1st hard shift. Service was done Thursday, and I had the hope that it needed a bit of time to complete the relearn, but the stutter from a dead stop is still there today. The up-shifts are a little better, though the shift at around 40 (OD?) feels weirdly soft, if that makes sense...

I appreciate the comments. It is an older car than most folks would bother with, but she is a beauty and, other than these annoyances, has been (and will be) very well maintained. It doesn't help that I can read (kinda) a FSM, but put a wrench in my hand and I go stupid. At least I can operate such things as leather conditioners and do a passable wash and wax. :D

The "shift" at 40 (actually 41) is the TCC locking up. It should be barely noticeable.

It is barely noticeable, but hey, I now own a cadillac and I notice those things. ;) Read the rundown in another thread on the TCC so will let it ride as there are no codes. Will brace the dealer about the hitch in the from dead-stop accel tomorrow though. Mid shifts have mellowed a tad, but -that- is annoying... Hoping I can get them to ck the ISC at no charge as I asked them to do so in the first place...

Archived