CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

OT: rich running car

joeb

I have a problem with my dodge intrepid. its a 96 so its OBDII. car flooded in -10F. I changed plugs and it started but it is running very rich. my rear bumper is getting sooty. code says, "rich conditon". no kidding. I got a code 72 last fall. something about cat. conv. efficiency. any chance my cat has failed and the plugged exhaust is making the engine run very poor/rich? no other codes. cam, crank or anything else fuel related. maybe 1 or 2 bad injectors? how about O2 sensors? no codes for those.

Check air filter and if your car has a low air pickup make sure someone didn't drive into a snow pile and restrict it with snow.It seems you are getting to much fuel and not enough air, a plugged cat will happen if you run it too rich for too long. It is also a good idea to change the oil when you flood out the engine the excess gas usually gets washed down into the oil.

i checked the FPR. it does hold vacuum. the intake is clean. the car will start but idle very bad. it blows excessive smoke from the start. someone told me the O2 sensors are finicky on dodges and i might have fouled them. will the computer get info from the sensors as soon as the car starts? the manual says they will not be read for about 2 minutes so the car should run "ok" for 2 minutes? but it does not. runs like crap right away. they say to unscrew the O2 sensor so the exhaust will be less restricted if it is a plugged cat. any validity to that statement?

If you had a bad O2 sensor you would have set a code. This is not a Dodge so ignore that "someone". Pull the vacuum hose off of the FPR and observe it while the car was running and idled fast, any wetness or fuel replace it... What codes are you getting exactly..

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

i checked the FPR. it does hold vacuum.

That is one test. Do you know what the fuel pressure is supposed to be and what your fuel pressure actually is?

the intake is clean. the car will start but idle very bad. it blows excessive smoke from the start.
Sounds like a rich mixture which points back to fuel pressure or one or more injectors leaking. Unmetered fuel is getting into the cylinders somehow.

someone told me the O2 sensors are finicky on dodges and i might have fouled them. will the computer get info from the sensors as soon as the car starts?
From a cold start, the engine operates in what is called 'open loop' mode. Open loop means the PCM is not using O2 sensor data because the data is not reliable; fuel mixture is determined by a fixed set of parameters in the PCM to control fuel mixture at approximately 14:1. Once the engine coolant reaches a certain temperature, the O2 sensors are deemed to be warm enough and the PCM toggles the fuel control to 'closed loop' operation. In closed loop, the O2 sensors generate a feedback voltage that is constantly adjusting the fuel ratio.

... they say to unscrew the O2 sensor so the exhaust will be less restricted if it is a plugged cat. any validity to that statement?

There is a vacuum gauge method of determining if the cat-con is restricted; I found the procedure below on another web page but have no idea how accurate or conclusive it might be.

"To check for a restricted catalytic converter, connect a vacuum gauge to the intake manifold then hold the engine speed to about 2,000 rpm. If the vacuum gradually drops, there is a restriction in the exhaust system. It could be in the cat, but it could also be due to a collapsed pipe or rusted out muffler."

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Sounds like it backfired into the air cleaner element and creased it, or even got gas on it.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

"To check for a restricted catalytic converter, connect a vacuum gauge to the intake manifold then hold the engine speed to about 2,000 rpm. If the vacuum gradually drops, there is a restriction in the exhaust system. It could be in the cat, but it could also be due to a collapsed pipe or rusted out muffler."

Great tip Jim. Never thought of that, but it makes sense.

I was working so hard to keep the motor from stalling that i never really did let it die. i finally got around to that today and when it died, the cruise light was on. that got my attention. that is a diagnostic tool for dodges. it means the cam sensor or crank sensor is bad. on fords, a failed cam sensor will pump 2x fuel into the cylinders. now that sounds like my problem. the MIL light i got was "52". rich condition. i checked the codes with my cheap code reader and got P0175 which is " rich condition".

Sorry I didnt see you were talking about a Dodge Intrepid....

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

yes, it is a dodge. the 52 refers to the check engine light dance. i guess caddy's give us the codes in laymans terms as far as p0--- and so on. i used a generic obdII code reader to get the P0175. on a dodge, that means it is a rich condition. there is a difference in codes from caddy to dodge after all. so the check engine light gives code 52. the code reader gives P0175. they are actually referring to the same code. i tried a new cam sensor. no better results. time for a qualified shop.

Archived