CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Depressed car?

BostonETC97

I'll make a very long story short. A woman driving a Jeep backed into the rear panel (fuel door area) of the ETC. Of the 3 of us 'near' the scene, everybody is too 'in shock' over her actions to even grab a plate, even though we all saw the whole thing... she hits the car, opens her door to see if there's damage, freaks when she sees the fender crushed, and FLIES into traffic and drives off.

I was upset at the time, but in retrospect it's almost funny to replay in my head. I guess if a smashed panel is my biggest issue, life isn't SO bad. Insurance said they'd cover it, and I have a low deductible, so it's not really a big deal. It'll give me an excuse to fix the other dings and other things that have bugged me while it's in getting the fender repaired.

Before the car got hit, it was running incredible. Perfect starts, incredible acceleration, power, handling. Since the hit, she's acting all upset. I keep coming back to a slow crank every time I go to start it, which leads to a no-start when it turns to the "dead battery fast click." New battery/alt last year, I can't figure out what the issue is. I get an overall 'depressed' feeling driving the car now. Is this possible (an upset car?)

Heh, hope everybody is having a safe and happy holiday season!

-Scott

Just a quick thought, clean your battery cables really good especially the positive cable, take it apart by taking the red insulator off, make sure its tight. Check your battery, have it load tested. I dont think its related to the accident..

The battery cable looks something like this (positive)

post-2998-1166591882.gif

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Yes, cars have feelings. Mine runs better after a good wash/wax. She also gets upset if I have to park her outside for the night instead of in the garage. We're all so spoiled.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

It's very likely the battery cable, probably at the battery. They disconnect one or both terminals to do any work, and that's likely it. The three-layer positive terminal at the battery is the most likely culprit.

You might also have the battery checked. It could have had a couple of deep-drain experiences in the shop. Also, it might not be the same battery that you had before it went in the shop (!!!).

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived