CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

morning start up

Hi All,

Hope everyone is well, and is ready for the holidays. My problem is when i start my car in the morning after sitting overnight it starts up running hard, almost as if it is missing, for the first 20-30 seconds then it smooths out and runs fine. The same thing happens when i start it up around 5:30pm after work. could it be that my oil is two thick? right now i'm running 10-40, which i have been running all summer with no problems. Or do you think it's time for a fuel filter change? It's been about 1 1/2 years since the filter change. On first start up, even though it runs rough for a few seconds, i do not smell gas, or oil.

Hi All,

Hope everyone is well, and is ready for the holidays. My problem is when i start my car in the morning after sitting overnight it starts up running hard, almost as if it is missing, for the first 20-30 seconds then it smooths out and runs fine. The same thing happens when i start it up around 5:30pm after work. could it be that my oil is two thick? right now i'm running 10-40, which i have been running all summer with no problems. Or do you think it's time for a fuel filter change? It's been about 1 1/2 years since the filter change. On first start up, even though it runs rough for a few seconds, i do not smell gas, or oil.

One thing for sure is that your oil is not causing rough morning starts. It could be a number of things including the Fuel Pressure Regulator or even a leaking fuel injector(s). Have you experienced any hard starts or does it start easy but idles rough for the first 30 seconds?

Did you check for trouble codes by simultaneously depressing both the 'OFF' button and 'WARMER' button on the climate control panel and holding them until diagnostic mode is activated?

It's not the oil or the fuel filter. I'm with Mac. Check the FPR. Most likely a ruptured diaphram, and the fuel system is leaking down. Car runs rough til it burns off the excess fuel. If the FPR is ok, then I'd suspect an injector leaking down, but the FPR is more likely to fail.

Hi MAC,

My Caddy starts right up everytime. No hard starting at anytime. The only code that i have been getting for the last 4-months is a PO-132 which is my knock sensor. Other than that no other codes.

I would check for a vacuum leak or loose bolts, which is causing a leak. Start the engine and try to hear anything that sounds like a vacuum leak. Misting some water on various areas may help you determine if there is a leak somewhere. However, do not take off the beauty cover and start the car since the 94 Northstar requires the beauty cover for proper Fuel Pressure Regulator function. If the cover is removed and the engine is started it will likely race at high RPMs. Also, you should probably make sure the EGR valve is functioning properly and the vacuum tube isn't leaking.

Is there white smoke coming out the tailpipe when the engine first starts?

When I changed my original spark plugs at around 150k miles, the only real difference I saw was the cold idle smoothness, like you're describing. If your plugs are real old, or even original, consider changing them.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Hi All,

Plugs and wires changed 1 1/2 nears ago. Opened the hood and let it idle, and i did hear what sounded like manifold pressure build up then release. kept doing it every 30-40 seconds. I also noticed the spacer washers under the manifold pressure bolts are starting to dry rot and break apart. I guess i should get new ones from the dearler. Do you know what they should be torqued at?

Archived