CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Issues

Astrak

I'm starting to get a little annoyed by my 92 Eldo, first off the steering wheel shakes up and down over every little bump and the ride seems like it is way to harsh, second when going over some bumps the car will feel like it is going sideways, third when it is cold in the morning the shocks make a creeking noise when I am going over large bumps say like pulling out of driveway or something. For the first problem I am thinking tie rod ends(hopefully outer), for the second one I am thinking maybe sway bar bushings and the third one I am thinking maybe tie rods or strut mounts. Also the steering makes a horrible whining noise whenever the wheel is turned.

First don't forget that you are driving a 15 year old car, you are sounding like it just came out of the showroom :lol:

I have the same skipping feeling that you have over bumps. I have changed my struts and springs, strut rod bushings, ball joints, hub bearings, stabilizer bar bushings and it made no difference. My next thing to look at is the rear knuckle assemblies on both sides, I am not 100% sure you have knuckle assemblies, but if you do, have a look at them. I am also concerned that my control arm bushings are bad and when I drop my carriage I am going to have new ones pressed in.

You might have someonce drive the car and follow it, watching to see what happens when each wheel hits a bump, if the tire assembly leave the ground you have a bad strut/shock, that would also account for your skippyness.

I would have a look at your struts, you have air shocks in the rear. It sounds like you are having strut problems. The squeeking could also be bushing related (strut rod bushing, control arm bushing, rear knuckle bushing and even bad ball joints).. and as you say it could be a strut mount.

The only way I have ever been able to see what was going on was to rip the front end apart and inspect all components..

The steering wheel shaking up and down, do you mean it physically shake up and down? Is there play in your steering wheel, can you move it up and down yourself?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Yes the steering wheel physically moves up and down, as in somethings loose, I can't move it up and down and there is no play only over bumps will it shake. I'm almost positive the struts are good, there is no sign of a major leak. I have just done the push down on each corner test compared to a 2002 Cadillac at a dealership and I can tell no difference between the 02 and my 92. Shoot I just remembered somewhere in the paperwork the guy gave me when he sold me the car was a receipt from a mechanic and I think he was having the same problems I am experiencing I'm gonna have to find that to see what the problem was. It's wierd though because when the weather is about 70 degrees outside none of these problems exist, I've almost gotten a feel for how the car is gonna ride just by stepping outside and seeing what the weather is like.

Have a look at your rack, it's odd that you steering wheel shakes like that. It is sounding like something at the gear end of the steering shaft is pushing it up and down. The steering shaft connects to the rack. If the rack were loose you could get this kind of physical movement and that would explain your skippiness also.

Recently Regis had his rack replaced. Regis has a car thread, here > http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showforum=38 See Steering Rack....

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I'm starting to get a little annoyed by my 92 Eldo, first off the steering wheel shakes up and down over every little bump and the ride seems like it is way to harsh, second when going over some bumps the car will feel like it is going sideways, third when it is cold in the morning the shocks make a creeking noise when I am going over large bumps say like pulling out of driveway or something. For the first problem I am thinking tie rod ends(hopefully outer), for the second one I am thinking maybe sway bar bushings and the third one I am thinking maybe tie rods or strut mounts. Also the steering makes a horrible whining noise whenever the wheel is turned.

GM's 94' Service Manual states the following regarding hard or improper ride (p. 3C-1):

If complaints of hard or improper ride are encountered the first items to investigate are tire pressures, shock absorber condition, and trim height.

It sounds like the shock absorbers need to be replaced?

The creeking sound could be the sway bar bushings or perhaps most likely the struts/shock absorbers, which indicate they're worn and need to be replaced.

If the column is shaking you should check the column's mounting bolts (torque to 15-20 ft. lbs.) and lower bracket bolts (torque to 10-14 ft. lbs.).

I am thinking the steering rack might be the problem when I had my Chrysler it had some problems like this and new inner and outer tie rods and new steering rack bushing fixed it. I just really don't want to do that again it was a pain in the *smurf* because of stripped bolts and such, but I guess I'll do some digging this weekend and see what happens.

Most places will give you free quotes on supsension/steering stuff if you arn't sure whats wrong. just take it to MIDAS or SPEEDY or something similar.

My dad loves that when ever he needs an alignment, he just takes it and tells them he'd like to get an alignment but he thinks somethings will need to be replaced, has them quote it up and says he'll have to come back another day for the repairs, then fixes it himself and takes it back.

Most places will give you free quotes on supsension/steering stuff if you arn't sure whats wrong. just take it to MIDAS or SPEEDY or something similar.

My dad loves that when ever he needs an alignment, he just takes it and tells them he'd like to get an alignment but he thinks somethings will need to be replaced, has them quote it up and says he'll have to come back another day for the repairs, then fixes it himself and takes it back.

That's the best idea I've heard all week, I'll give it a shot, I really hate dealing with the front end stuff ever since that Chrysler it has just pissed me off.

Archived