CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

programmer r & r

seviller

My a/c programmer on my 91 Seville gave out. Won't move the air mix door. Even with the actuator rod disconnected the little arm does not moved when the temp is cycled from 60 to 90. So I decided to remove and replace it. I have a shop manual (oem) and get right to the point of removing the vacuum manifold block but I need an extra thin wall 7 mm socket to remove the nut that holds the block on. I don't have the socket and a quick search of the internet and the local suppliers of tools has not helped. Does anyone know where I can get such a socket? Many thanks. Seviller

Buy a cheap socket from AutoZone or such and grind it down.

Are you sure it is the programmer and not the actuator that is bad?

No Larry, I.m not sure. I thought the actuator was part of the programmer. How can I check this?

Also, thanks for the tip on the socket. Jim

Programmers are pretty reliable from what I understand. Actuators on the other hand tend to fail ocassionally. That alone would make me lean toward the actuator. Without a service manual I am not sure what the proceedure would be to check the actuator. Perhaps the '91 is different but I am pretty sure the actuator is servicable seperately. It should be apparent when you look at the actuator if it is removable.

EDIT:

I see Ewill3rd answered your question at the other forum so I stand corrected. The actuator is part of the programmer on the '91 and not servicable seperately.

Archived