CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

hard starting sts

billybob

quick question i have a 96 sts with northstar wont start when cold. I know its either the fpr or the fuel pump. what my question is every now and then I need to start the car since I have it stored till spring and then ill get the problem fixed in the meantime can I spray some starting fuild and get this thing going without wrecking something. thanks

thanks for the info the reason im thinking its the fpr or fuel pump because once you start it the car runs and starts great all day with n trouble untill overnight and back to hard starting again. I tryed to start it today and turned it over with a jump from my other car for like 3 minutes and it still did not start but I have not ran it for a few months and the weather here in northeast pa is cold. just wanted to make sure a shot of starting fuild woud not ruin anything.

An occassional start with starting spray is much easier on the engine than cranking it dry.

Check the fuel pressure before you do anything else. You should have 45psi and it should hold it when you shut it off. It may drop slowly but shouldn't fall off instantly.

quick question i have a 96 sts with northstar wont start when cold. I know its either the fpr or the fuel pump. what my question is every now and then I need to start the car since I have it stored till spring and then ill get the problem fixed in the meantime can I spray some starting fuild and get this thing going without wrecking something. thanks

Pull the vacuum line off the FPR and see if you have fuel in the vacuum line,If so ,your FPR is shot,replace it. You should be able to start the car cold with your foot to the floor,like it was flooded(which it is) from raw fuel leaking into the intake manifold. My '96 Aurora did the same thing.

Archived