CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Unexplainable Gain in MPG??

speedyman_2

120 miles on I-10 today.

On the DIC:

Avg mph: 79

Avg MPG: 25

I usually get around 19-21 at this speed. I've never seen 25 except around 60-65 mph. And instant reading at 65mph today showed 31 mpg. I'm not complaining, but what would've caused such an increase? I hope it stays that way. :D

IPB Image

Cold air baby! Also any changes to your tires recently? Running higher pressure?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

My bet is ambient wind direction/speed. That plays a HUGE part in fuel economy, but is rarely mentioned when running comparisons.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

You guys are all crazy!

It's obvious he was abducted by aliens.

Sheeshe!

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Considering he is in So Cal, that is a distinct possibility. :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I'm in Penscola Florida now. Been here since Feb. this year.

Yeah, right near NASA, where them funny "gray" people come visiting. We've heard about peeps like you! :D:D:D

j/k,

Warren

Posted Image

Being abducted by aliens would be interesting so long as they didn't try anything fruity,

It seems to me that a good side or head wind always made a difference on the highway, 2-4mpg worth of difference in my smaller Sevilles/Eldorados

MerryChristmas

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

Be a Capitalist or work for one.

IPB Image

Work for a Capitalist or be one.

MerryChristmas

Yup, you'd be surprised what a good stiff tail wind will do for your fuel economy, or what a good stiff headwind will do TO your fuel economy.

I took a trip with my 96 F250 with a 460 and I usually just get 10 MPG but on this trip I noticed a good tailwind the whole trip and got 12 MPG, but on the way back I only got 8 MPG. I still averaged 10 though. :(

120 miles on I-10 today.

On the DIC:

I usually get around 19-21 at this speed. I've never seen 25 except around 60-65 mph. And instant reading at 65mph today showed 31 mpg. I'm not complaining, but what would've caused such an increase? I hope it stays that way. :D

Must be the speed.They say you must drive your car like you stole it at least once a month - it keeps the combustion chambers clean of any deposits.You drive a car from an eldery owner and it feels like there is no power-it was driven slow-and you take it for a spin at 75-80 mph for a few minutes and you'll notice the difference. :)

This reminded me of an old story...

Neighbor #1 was bragging about his vehicle, how great it was, how he had it tuned up just perfect, yada yada.

Neighbor #2 tired of this lecture, so he poured a bit of gas INTO Neighbor #1's car, incresing the amount slightly, every so often over several months...

Of course, Neighbor #1 was estatic about the great gas mileage, how it was getting better as the car broke in, his driving style, tire selection, pressure (you know all the typical stuff) and never let up on the subject.

After a few months of this "training", Neighbor #2 abruptly STOPPED adding gas!

Neighbor#1 just about lost his mind (and his dealer's) trying to determine what the technical problem was - why his car was getting such terrible (typical) mileage.

He quit bragging.

Now, adding gas while you're drivng might be a bit tricky...

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

George Carlin ?

Posted Image

120 miles on I-10 today.

On the DIC:

Have you surveyed the milage in altitude before. Higher altitude will vastly improve milage to freaky levels thanks to fuel management controls.

Billy,

How do you suppose a change in elevation might result in actual-better fuel mileage? I can believe that operating at sea-level might offer improved power (but no better mileage), due to the increased air density and "easier pumping" of air/oxygen by the engine. <_<

I would think that operating at relatively high elevations might develop less power and if anything, lower fuel mileage due to increased downshifts etc?

All,

Now for a different cant on the subject. I have noticed that sustained operation above 85/90 and well into the triples actually RAISES the indicated instant mileage. It is as if the fuel flow sensor (injector pulse timing/accumulations ?) vs road speed get "out of whack" at the higher speed ranges. :blink:

This happens consistently on long (15-20 minute) contigious runs on flat terrain over 30-40 miles.

Considering the laws of physics and all, this is only the "Indicated" mileage, as I would suspect the real mileage to be...less. ;)

Thanks,

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

All,

Now for a different cant on the subject. I have noticed that sustained operation above 85/90 and well into the triples actually RAISES the indicated instant mileage. It is as if the fuel flow sensor (injector pulse timing/accumulations ?) vs road speed get "out of whack" at the higher speed ranges. :blink:

This happens consistently on long (15-20 minute) contigious runs on flat terrain over 30-40 miles.

Considering the laws of physics and all, this is only the "Indicated" mileage, as I would suspect the real mileage to be...less. ;)

Thanks,

I haven't noticed that.

Perhaps tomorrow, on the way to work, I'll do sustained triple digits. :P

Got Bail?

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

Billy,

How do you suppose a change in elevation might result in actual-better fuel mileage? I can believe that operating at sea-level might offer improved power (but no better mileage), due to the increased air density and "easier pumping" of air/oxygen by the engine. <_<

I would think that operating at relatively high elevations might develop less power and if anything, lower fuel mileage due to increased downshifts etc?

All,

Thanks,

The computer controls are very good starting about 20 yrs. ago. The fuel mapping at high altitudes senses less air, hence less fuel delivered, at the same time you lose "normal" power. The engine fuel managment compensates for altitude. Less air= less fuel. One may not detect a difference unless you try to reach sea level W.O.T. performance, which won't be there. It has everything to do with the "Stoichiometeric point"

Archived