CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Advantage/Disadvantage Remote Car Starters

GreenMachine

What are some pros/cons about these after market addons on Cadillacs. I'd imagine they disable the Pass Key system (whats the con of that?) and wondered what harm could be done to a non-key forward running engine? (Besides me being dumb and turning the key forward to start and hurting the starter because these engines can be so silent :P)

Any brands to stay away from? Any Recommendations?

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

The starter spins up and engages pretty slickly, so an occasional turn-the-key-to-start with an idling engine won't hurt.

I will say that if you start a car and don't get to it for any reason, there is some risk to overheating in-place if the wind is just right to prevent the fans from pulling air through the radiator. So far as I know, the PCM will never shut off the engine unless the driver turns the key off, no matter how hot the engine gets. If it will idle in the limp-home mode, it will keep running until it burns up. So, if you do have remote start, never use it unless you are positive that you will be getting to the car in a few minutes, no matter how cold the weather is.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I installed one in my kids car a few years back. This model could be programed for a set run time. Say after 20 minutes the car shut off.

This model also would not let the car move unless the proper key was in the ignition and would not engage the starter if the engine was already running.

If the foot brake is pressed the engine will shut off unless the correct vats key is in the ignition and turned on. Since you can't get the car into drive without using the brake the car can't be moved. No one can jump in and drive off unless they have a vats key. If the ignition is turned on with a key not programed for the vats the engine will shut off as soon as the brake is pressed. When the brake is pressed it turns the power to the remote off and if the vats key is incorrect the ignition never turns on from the ECM.

Sorry but I do not recall the brand but there are many to choose from these days so look for what fits the needs you have. Ie the range the remote will work from etc.

These units can be a pain to install so unless you know a lot about the electric system in the car it would be best to have the system installed. There are many options to choose from. Some work with the security system others do not. Some will also replace the OEM key fob and work the trunk & door locks etc.

These systems do by pass the vats but only enough to start the car. When the car is parked the vats system works the same as if this remote starter wasn't even there. The hard part is remembering to leave the heater set to high when leaving the car for the day.

The car has an ignition lockout built in so you cannot engage the starter while the engine is running. I think the biggest disadvantage is that you (or someone) is hacking into a pretty sophisticated electronics system with many interconnected components. Personally, I would not touch one of those things. Besides, these cars warm up so fast, it is not really needed. Just my $0.02

I had one on my old 90 Lincoln TC and it was just as "what job" described. 20 min run time and the starter wouldnt grind if I forgot & turned the key too far.

IMHO its like a sun/moon roof. It seems like an option that is really neat/necessary and is used a lot for awhile. I really havent missed it for the last 5+ years and due to my cheapness because of gas prices I rarely let my cars idel for long. Seat heaters help a lot....

I would buy one if they had a plug and play model, but no way would would I want to splice the wires into my harness. I have installed one in an older chevy pu for a friend and they really like it. KS winters get pretty cold. I think most stereo shops should be able to install a high quality kit for you.

Thanks for the info guys, will take that all into consideration.

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

Bulldog makes a good one,

It's inexpensive and they work from half a block away.

I believe mine even would start the car at a set time and let it run for 20 minutes. I never used it because I've never had a set schedule.

MerryChristmas

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

Be a Capitalist or work for one.

IPB Image

Work for a Capitalist or be one.

MerryChristmas

Archived