CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

gas mileage- 80 -deville.

1LowDeville

alright listen up the fred- Its understood now that your just offering to suggest about using a bike - until you come out here and see where i am - you have no idea how a bike is of no use its not like you can bike ride 20 mins to the store- there is nothing that pays enough to consider riding a bike to work for - 7 $ an hr isn't enough to put food on the table and pay bills . i am not saying i WON'T work i want what everyone else wants and thats a decent income coming in with out having to nearly kill yourself doing so . i am gona look into delivery driver for a pizza shop - yes very risky with nite time driving in reguards of theft but if it comes down to it i'll do it - considering pizza delivery is around about 10-11 $ an hr . i am just not really comfortable enough with cash to be doing that type work - casue i'm not good at math very well -

and if i did get stranded some where i have a cell phone i can use now - thanks to my neighbor for helping me with that . So if i ever ran out again anywhere ( which isn't uncommon always ran out of gas in my ford f250 somewhere) i can call someone and hopefully get them out there to pick me up .

no i haven't done a tune up on it yet - i will once i get cash in my pocket.

well my muffler is new - and it still gets exhaust out the tail reguardless of this problem - but when i hit the cat from under neath the car when its cold i get a dust like that comes out kinda like a accordian when you push it to gether it blows out the dust like - it will blow the dust like stuff out when first started til it runs a while - but i 'm still bettin the cat is clogged- . there is no damage to any other parts of my exhaust as far as i can see

here's another question . The old man i bought it from said don't hit the gas when you go to start it - you don't have to . Well - i tried that method when i was home - as you could see in my pics of my car i have a incline of a drive way- I back my car in as its easier for me to get out the drive and not get hit - i find cause i am parked on this incline that i have to press the gas a couple times to get it started- is this common or am i gona be forced to park my car in the street where its level ground ?? i rather not park my car in the street as ppl drive thru here like idiots . and in the winter we have a mandatory all streets clear when it snows . So i would have to park it in the drive way- i dunno if i can convience my community to dig up my drive way and make it level simply cause the car doesn't like starting without a couple pumps on the gas to start.. but like i said if im parked on a level ground i don't even have to touch the gas-

i dunno what to think.

You have to press the gas down to set the choke on all the carburated cars I had. The fuel injected cars fuel pump kicks in when the key is turned on so no gas pedal action is required. I would not worry if you have to pump the gas to start it.

the old man i bought the car from had a flat drive way - and it was parked in the garage - when i was lookin at this car he said you don't have to push the gas to start- MY drive way is a little incline - and i've noticed i've had to push the gas 1-2 times to get to start-

motor is a 6.0 v8 carburated -with electric choke .

ya - the cat is def- bad cause its loud now .

alright listen up the fred- Its understood now that your just offering to suggest about using a bike - until you come out here and see where i am - you have no idea how a bike is of no use its not like you can bike ride 20 mins to the store- there is nothing that pays enough to consider riding a bike to work for - 7 $ an hr isn't enough to put food on the table and pay bills . i am not saying i WON'T work i want what everyone else wants and thats a decent income coming in with out having to nearly kill yourself doing so . i am gona look into delivery driver for a pizza shop - yes very risky with nite time driving in reguards of theft but if it comes down to it i'll do it - considering pizza delivery is around about 10-11 $ an hr . i am just not really comfortable enough with cash to be doing that type work - casue i'm not good at math very well -

and if i did get stranded some where i have a cell phone i can use now - thanks to my neighbor for helping me with that . So if i ever ran out again anywhere ( which isn't uncommon always ran out of gas in my ford f250 somewhere) i can call someone and hopefully get them out there to pick me up .

It really isn't worth driving in the winter time for that kind of money, I see your point there.. and the last thing you want to drive on ice and snow is your car or your truck. You could sell the car or the truck and use the money to buy something you can resell.

MerryChristmas

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

Be a Capitalist or work for one.

IPB Image

Work for a Capitalist or be one.

MerryChristmas

It really isn't worth driving in the winter time for that kind of money, I see your point there.. and the last thing you want to drive on ice and snow is your car or your truck. You could sell the car or the truck and use the money to buy something you can resell.

i only have the car - and honestly - i don't have the patience to sell it - 2 - i don't go no where when the roads are icy any ways cause i had a BAD experience and rolled my 91 blazer 4 xmas's ago . i really don't want a tiny metro or the like cause well i'm a big dude close to 300 pounds and i want to be able to walk away from a accident with as little problems as possible . and the maintence on this car is rediculously kept tip top. and i think i did right buying this car from the old man - he seems like he was meticulous about maintaince and what ever it needed it got reguardless of price it seems.

This may sound stupid, but does this still have the vacumm advance? If so you may have a leaky vacumm line or the advance mechanism maybe bound up or not working at all

Just a thought

Ah, in that case you need to make sure the choke is adjusted properly for closing when you pump the accelerator and that it opens properly as it warms up. They can be pretty finiky if out of adjustment. When the motor is cold, remove the air cleaner and watch the choke plate as you manualy open the throttle once with the engine off. It should snap closed. If not it needs adjustment. Then watch it as it warms up. When you open the throttle as it gets warmer, it should come off fast idle and the choke plate should open or at least start to open if it is not warm enough yet, but eventually should open all the way. If not, it is running very rich and again needs adjustment. There are many adjustments on those carbs and they all need to be in synch.

Ah, in that case you need to make sure the choke is adjusted properly for closing when you pump the accelerator and that it opens properly as it warms up. They can be pretty finiky if out of adjustment. When the motor is cold, remove the air cleaner and watch the choke plate as you manualy open the throttle once with the engine off. It should snap closed. If not it needs adjustment. Then watch it as it warms up. When you open the throttle as it gets warmer, it should come off fast idle and the choke plate should open or at least start to open if it is not warm enough yet, but eventually should open all the way. If not, it is running very rich and again needs adjustment. There are many adjustments on those carbs and they all need to be in synch.

I Took another look underneath . think this is part of the problem with loudness:) I DIDN'T notice this the other time i was under neath checkin the converter- .... can someone explain why this happened? this must of been what happen when we heard that big bang with the small light show that one nite. could this been caused by the converter being clogged? im only assuming that its clogged right now - as i haven't had it inspected yet to see if it is or not..

IPB Image

Yup, that was from the loud bang and flash you saw and heard. Basically you had raw fuel in the exhast system that ignited......... BANG, the muffler seams open up from the explosion. What caused it is subject to speculation. Many years ago I split more than one truck muffler open screwing around and causing loud backfires. :lol: Funny stories behind that.

Yup, that was from the loud bang and flash you saw and heard. Basically you had raw fuel in the exhast system that ignited......... BANG, the muffler seams open up from the explosion. What caused it is subject to speculation. Many years ago I split more than one truck muffler open screwing around and causing loud backfires. :lol: Funny stories behind that.

Great answer, Ranger. Mike, a picture's worth a thousand words...wow.

<!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto-->2007 DTS Performance - 50K

<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->

As a matter of fact, I <i>am</i> driving 70 MPH in a phone booth.

well - so theory is - carb sending to much fuel in to the engine - and the engine flushin it out to the exhaust - thus created this . right? maybe i should call it the boomaliac instead . well my buddy calls my car pimpaliac .. * note - no numbers from girls were aquired thus far with ownership * lol . :P So lets hear some suggestions what i should do now well besides get a new muffler lol .

lmao .

I am not sure how you are getting raw fuel into the exhaust system. Even if the carb is running rich, it should be burning. It's not dieseling when you shut it down, is it? I guess I'd make sure the carb is in adjustment as well as the timing for starters.

EDIT:

Disregard. I just reread post #14. Yeah, dieseling sucked in air/fuel and filled the exhaust. Somethink was hot enough to ignite it. Ya gotta stop the dieseling, carb adjustment, anti-diesel solenoid, (if so equipped).

Larry.

Great responses !

sense the last back fire /desieling at my house it hasn't done it sense - shuts right off - dunno why it decided to do that then when i was at the gas station or again back when i got home but it did - but hasn't done it again . wierd odd experience - i'd imagine no one has had this problem , as no body has spoken up about having the same issue- i know one thing i need to replace that muffler soon - the fumes are horrible . and the loudness (not the nice dual exhaust flowmaster type loud) is to much - can't creep into the neighbor hood where i live after 11pm with the "uncle buck loud car" lol . all jokes aside- i think a tune up and new muffler i should be fine- I am not even sure the cat is clogged /or bad.. No rotten egg smell no hole in the converter .. but i did get like a dust when i knocked on it one day coming from the seems of the converter-- dunno if the insides are shot or not - its 26 years old - think its time to replace any ways? They never replaced it when they did the exhaust work .

From my experience, Quadrajets need to be rebuilt every

10 years or so. Chances are your Deville is about do. I also

try to replace the rotor and cap every year. As for chokes,

in my opinion they're more trouble than they're worth. Been

driving a v8 1984 Olds in the Northeast without any problems

starting her up without one. You just need to lightly tap the

gas pedal for a minute or two as she warms up. I bet your

vacuum advance is trashed. You have some work to do, but

she'll run like a kitten after taking care of these things.

Has anyone thought that possibly the muffler had such back pressure that is why it blew like that? It blew at the front end of the muffler. His original problem was poor gas mileage could that have been from backpressure, he was talking about a clogged cat.

I loved the quadrajet carbs, and rebuilt a ton of them. They were very easy to rebuilt. Check for a float that is too heavy from absorbing fuel, they become porous and absorb fuel making them heavy, I have a gage for measuring the the float's weight and then compare its weight to spec. I have seen floats that have fuel inside them and you can hear it when you shake them. If the weight outside the spec the float has absorbed fuel and needs replacing. A heavy float causes a rich mixture and floods the engine.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Mike,

Since he said he heard a bang and saw a flash, my money is on unburnt fuel igniting in the exhaust and blowing that muffler open. My guess is that if back pressure was bad enough to do that, the engine would not start in the first place or would have died before that happened.

Archived