CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

key fob stopped working...

stefank

Gents,

yesterday my key fob transmitter (#1) stopped working. When I left home in the morning no problem, arriving at work it was dead when I tried to open the trunk.

IPB Image

I checked the codes on the DIC and got a RFA 2560, RKE Message Validation Error. At home I tried the spare fob (#2), which didn’t work as well. After clearing the code, the spare transmitter worked, but as soon as I tried the #1 fob, the code was set again.

So I concluded that the transmitter has a problem.

Changing batteries did not improve anything, #1 still dead and #2 working.

Scotty aka BBF has written a message some time ago about reparing the key fob with re-soldering a weak point on the transmitter’s circuit board, but that was okay on mine.

IPB Image

But when I removed the rubber pad from the circuit board, I discovered that the top of the board/underside of the rubber was really wet! I have no idea where that moisture may come from, as the fob has always been treated well and not been washed or something. Condensation perhaps? There was also some residue of black rubber (the stuff under the keys which is conductive) on the circuit board.

I took a soft paper towel and rubbed all parts dry very carefully. I took another towel, damped it very lightly with methylated spirits, and cleaned the top of the circuit board and the inside of the rubber mat. I used very light pressure when rubbing! Then I let all compenents dry out completeley before reassembly.

Putting it all together is a matter of seconds, and it works like new again!

Maybe worth a try if your transmitter fails.

Good luck

Stefan

PS The transmitter has a fixed code, so it doesn’t matter if the fob’s battery is disconnected for a while.

Stefan, even though I also treat mine with respect, I have to take mine apart and clean it like you did yours every 6 months or so. I don't know why. I've never had to clean the RKE transmitter on our Grand Caravan, and it works from 100 feet away. The Cadillac one has never worked that well. About 25 feet is all I get.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Stefan, even though I also treat mine with respect, I have to take mine apart and clean it like you did yours every 6 months or so. I don't know why. I've never had to clean the RKE transmitter on our Grand Caravan, and it works from 100 feet away. The Cadillac one has never worked that well. About 25 feet is all I get.

Unless you use the arm extension method, (transmitter in armpit arm extended). I've used it a few times just to see if it works, pretty cool.

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

It's not a good idea to use ANY cleaner on the rubber keypad membrane; you run the risk of removing its conductive coating. Simply run warm water over it and pat dry.

If the conductive coating is lost, there's a simple way to repair it. Cut a small piece of foil from a cigarette pack and use a *VERY* small drop of super glue to attach the paper side of the foil to the backside of the membrane such that the foil side faces the printed circuit board. It sets instantly. You can reassemble the remote and use it immediately.

You can find a variety of "paint-on" conductive coating products online, but I've never found one that lasts more than a few months. I have TV remotes that are still working years after the foil trick was applied.

Do not use household aluminum foil. It will abrade the printed circuit board.

Unless you use the arm extension method, (transmitter in armpit arm extended). I've used it a few times just to see if it works, pretty cool.

You'll look less foolish if you simply hold the remote to your chin. It works! :)

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Archived