CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Tire Pressure Monitors failed

Ranger

I had purchased a package of 5 dougnut magnets from Radio Shack to reset the pressure sensors. When I tried them they would not work. I figured that they where not strong enough. In a discussion on the other forum I was assured that they do work. A tech said to try it again and if I don't get a beep from the LF, move on to the next wheel. If that one works, then the sensor is bad. The strange thing is that I watched Discount Tire do it successfully when I had them RF balanced. Also when I left work last night at 8 degrees I got the check tire pressure message. Per the TPM, the pressures were at 23 psi. Figured that was due to the temps and they did rise to 27 by the time I got home, though it was -1. Anyway I tried it again today and nothing, but now I have a SERVICE TIRE PRESSURE MONITORS message. When I pull the DTCs I found.

C0750 - Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) system sensor not transmitting

C0755 - Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) system sensor not transmitting

C0760 - Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) system sensor not transmitting

C0765 - Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) system sensor not transmitting

B0429 - Temperature Control #3 Rear Circuit Range/Performance

U1016 - Loss of Communications with PCM

I find it hard to believe that all 4 sensors failed at once. Likewise I can't imagine it was something that I did. "Pearl" has a "doctors" appointment Wed. morning.

I have seen reports of early battery failures, but not all four on the same (cold) day. Let us know what the dealer has to say.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Hmm it might be just the cold making the act up....but the problem is its never that simple.

That loss of PCM communications gets me wondering. Have you tried to reprogram them since this occured? If I remember correctly its done hitting some buttons on the remote, then going to each tire in the correct order right?

I know I've read about, if your battery drops in voltage enough, that it will actually cause the car to "forget" what sensors are programed to what tire and throw the codes for not transmitting.

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

Hmm it might be just the cold making the act up....but the problem is its never that simple.

That loss of PCM communications gets me wondering. Have you tried to reprogram them since this occured? If I remember correctly its done hitting some buttons on the remote, then going to each tire in the correct order right?

I know I've read about, if your battery drops in voltage enough, that it will actually cause the car to "forget" what sensors are programed to what tire and throw the codes for not transmitting.

That's what started this whole fiasco.

The loss of PCM comm. has me wondering as well.

Battery voltage was fine last night. 15.3v as I recall.

SERVICE TIRE PRESSURE MONITORS .

I did get this message once when I disconnected the battery...

I note you have five magnets... You're not putting one on each wheel are you....

Use all five stacked up on each wheel... And do this one wheel at at time...

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

"Doc" says 2 bad pressure sensors. B0429 & U1016 not found. None in stock so I have to go back tomorrow. I'm still suspicious of the RFA module though. Why would all 4 sensor DTCs be set and only 2 be found to be bad? We'll see tomorrow.

Larry:

If the sensors are being replaced under warranty, the dealer will have to keep the faulty parts per GM policy. But, if somehow, someway you happen to drive home with one of the faulty sensors in your pocket, I would love to have it for a few days.....

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Will see what I can do Jim. What do you have in mind?

On another note, I ran the codes on the way in to work this afternoon and guess what. B0429 (current) & U1016 (history) are present. The mechanic that told me he could not find them (not sure what method he was using, Tech II I suspect), is the same mechanic that took 3 tries to fix the seat heater on the SLS last year. I'm starting to see a pattern here.

I would be very surprised if you were able to leave the dealership with the bad tire pressure sensors - the manufacturer of the sensor is responsible for warranty costs and will need the defective parts for analysis.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

According the guys who work at my dealership very few if any parts are sent anywhere except the dump... There is one junior guy there who's main job is to bash-up parts with a BFH.. before they go in the dumpster

caddy.jpg

Greg

Will see what I can do Jim. What do you have in mind?

I'm curious about several things with that sensor.

First; can the battery cell be replaced without destoying the sensor?

Is it possible to salvage the transmitter chip for other possible applications?

And is is possible to recalibrate the sensor pressure range for possible use as a fuel pressure sender? This one will possibly require too much modification, but I would enjoy trying.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I think you got a loose wire or something to that effect. Have you looked up the B0429 code in the factory service manual?

It might have something in it about symptoms of tire pressure monitors, my 98 manual doesn't have that one listed in it.

The guys who worked on my Memory Seat Module abviously didn't follow the DTC trouble code table that they claimed they would...sicne it took them 4 hours and telling me that the module is bad (it very well could be but for a bad module its able to know and tell me that my seat motors are now unplugged (Have it that was so I can at least adjust it front and back by grounding one wire and giving 12 v to the).

Hmm never simple answers when its the caddy experts cars :P

The Green's Machines

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

Larry:

If the sensors are being replaced under warranty, the dealer will have to keep the faulty parts per GM policy. But, if somehow, someway you happen to drive home with one of the faulty sensors in your pocket, I would love to have it for a few days.....

Sorry Jim, I tried. He said something came down from GM a year or so ago and even mechanics can't take old parts out anymore. I said I know that they have to hold them for 30 day and return them IF GM asked for them and asked if there where any that where just out of the 30 day period that I could have. It would have been easier to leave with service advisors wifes panties in my pocket.

Update:

Replaced 2 sensors. Advisor said they where damaged, likely by Discount Tire when they did the RFB. He warrantied them anyway. I am not sure I buy that because I was in the shop at Discount and watched everthing he did. If he did something to damage them, it was not obvious to me, plus I watched him reset the sensors and they worked fine for a few months. Now I'm just hoping that the other two are ok. Guess I'll have to try those Radio Shack magnets again tomorrow. Maybe I can break the other two sensors. :lol:

As for the B0429 code, I finally convinced the mechanic that is was real and after some futher searching he found it. He showed me a printout obviously from the CD manual and as best as I could tell he was talking about it being a passenger side air mix door actuator just slightly out of synch, but since I am not actually having any problems with it, I told them I would monitor it for a while (still have 3 years on the warranty) rather than come back for the replacement.

Thanks for the try, Larry.

Tire retailers are damaging a lot of TPM sensors even if they did not damage yours. They will have to get their act together on tire R&R real soon because TPM systems will be standard equipment on all new cars in another year or so. The liability costs could eat them alive at $50+ per sensor.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Tire retailers are damaging a lot of TPM sensors even if they did not damage yours. They will have to get their act together on tire R&R real soon because TPM systems will be standard equipment on all new cars in another year or so. The liability costs could eat them alive at $50+ per sensor.

Very true!

When I got new skins for my 02 STS... I started at the front counter... "Excuse me, could you note on my work order that the car has pressure sensors and I don't want them wrecked.."

I then went with the car to the de-mounter/mounter/balancer guy... On each wheel. I said "Now don't forget these wheels have pressure sensors... I've read they are easily damaged.. lets be careful OK?"

I think it was on the third or the forth wheel the tire guy looked up and before I said anything he said "Buddy.. I get it... I know they are there... I've done this before... <censored> :o "

I take comfort in the fact that while I was very annoying, I have 4 sensor that all still work just fine. :D

caddy.jpg

Greg

When I got new skins for my 02 STS... I started at the front counter... "Excuse me, could you note on my work order that the car has pressure sensors and I don't want them wrecked.."

When did these sensors become an option/standard equipment on Cadillacs? Getting new skins shortly... ;)

Thanks!

Mark

<!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto-->2007 DTS Performance - 50K

<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->

As a matter of fact, I <i>am</i> driving 70 MPH in a phone booth.

Yes they are damaging a lot of them. They messed up one on my '06. We went round and round about it. It was working when I went in to have a slow leak fixed and wasn't working when I left. They said I had to take it to the dealer to verify that it was bad. If so, they would replace it for free, but the dealer replaced it, no questions asked.

I then went back to the tire store and let the guy that gave me hard time have a piece of my mind, even tho I really can't spare any. :) But I can guarantee that he now understand how I felt about his treatment of me. Also wrote his corporate HQ.

Posted Image

There's always something, that someone does, that makes you cringe when you see them working on your car. The thing that always ticks me off when the put the center caps on wrong, or not tight. I had one that put it on funny and broke the clips on one side and then another that messed up the way the wire feeds around the outside.

Boils down to, its not theirs, so they don't care. Or simply ignorance.

The Green's Machines

I NEVER let the tire monkeys touch my wheel covers or fender skirts. I remove them and put them in the trunk before entering the store.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived