CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Dash lights climate controls go out?!?

acpageus

Hi all, Has anyone had this haoppen? Recently in the morning and only in the morning on my way to work, 7am, sun up and about 45deg F' my dash board and heater controls will completely go dark. The tach and speedo still work but the fuel and temp guages go limp. No lights, no guages no display on the climate control. Additionaly my blinkers are non-op too. The headlights and I believe tail light are still working (havent been rearended yet). After about 2-3 min. it all comes back on as if nothing happened. I checked for codes but there are none...yet. I forgot to mention the heater motor still runs and the radio still works when the lights and controls go out. I'm stumped?!?!?

My car is a 96 STS and has 102000mi.

Any Ideas??

Thanks,

Adam

I would first check the battery connections for corrosion and make sure the ground is good. Take the positive side cables apart (Like my 94, I believe you will also have two cables connected to the positive terminal). Also clean the bolt. Sometimes, bad battery connections can cause electronics to work intermittently. Has it happened more than once?

I had this happen to me when I had my 87 deville. Never could figure out what exactly happened, only that the circuit that made the dash all 'light up' wasn't getting any power. After some poking around with a volt meter, and experimenting, I ended up pulling power off another circuit and kind of patching in another wire. Scary stuff, but it worked fine like that for years until I sold it. Been so long, that I can't remember any details. Mine just went out though. Wasn't an intermittent thing.

-dave

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

How about pulling the OBD II codes?

http://www.caddyinfo.com/readingcodes.html

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

How about pulling the OBD II codes?

http://www.caddyinfo.com/readingcodes.html

Thanks for all the input but I got it figured out today. There were no codes but I noticed one of my fog lights was out so I investigated and found I had rubbed a parking stall bump stop or a curb somewhere and severed the wire to the light. It was shorting on the bracket. I am assuming it was causing the problem b/c it hasent happened since I fixed the damaged wire.

Again thank for the replies.

Thanks for all the input but I got it figured out today. There were no codes but I noticed one of my fog lights was out so I investigated and found I had rubbed a parking stall bump stop or a curb somewhere and severed the wire to the light. It was shorting on the bracket. I am assuming it was causing the problem b/c it hasent happened since I fixed the damaged wire.

Again thank for the replies.

Thanks for posting the resolution.

MM

<!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto-->2007 DTS Performance - 50K

<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->

As a matter of fact, I <i>am</i> driving 70 MPH in a phone booth.

Archived