CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

My 02 STS is missing now too

OynxSTS

From a stop no issues, she pulls like a pro-stock car...

However at speed (say 30 MPH or so...) a hard jab of the throttle generates a weak down shift and then little if any power... Like the timing is off... A quick lift and jab of the throttle solves the problem... resulting in a "hard" down shift and lots of power.

If I don't lift, and hold the throttle open she will eventually flash the MIL light, indicating a misfire.

No codes other then a MAP sensor out of range P1106 (its new, but only flagged as "HISTORY")

Massive rotten egg smell.

Car is coil on plug.. no wires... Original Plugs with 60,000 miles on them...

Suggestions... Bad Coil Pack? Any way to tell which one is bad without a Tech II?

Plugged Fuel filter? Should I Stab in a new MAP sensor?

I'm beginning to develop a love/hate relationship with this car....

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Check your FPR because of the rotten egg smell (rich mixture)

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

When the FPR fails do they always leak out of the vacuum port? Mine is bone dry...

If one or two cylinders weren't firing... Shouldn't I get the egg smell too?

These cylinders would be pumping unburnt gas/air directly into the cat... wouldn't this produce the same "rich" smell?

Other then this "at speed issue" the car is perfect... Idles fine, starts easy...

caddy.jpg

Greg

Update...

The engine seems fine... there seems to be some sort of "hiccup" in my new GM Factory rebuilt transmission... The transmission seems to be somewhat reluctant to perform a Full throttle down shifts at certain very specific speeds... (mostly in the range of 20-35 MPH)

I hope this has something to do with the "ADAPT" feature of these trannys and the PCM and the tranny are just working things out... Though the FSM states that the ADAPT function should only take "a couple of days of normal driving" to do its thing...

If you "double clutch" the throttle its like the PCM says...

"Oh this guy means it; he really does want to go fast." and you get the down shift..

If you just stab the throttle, its like the PCM had asked the tranny to down shift... the tranny replies "get lost" meanwhile the PCM dumps in a bunch of fuel expecting the engine load to change and when this doesn't happen... This "gas fire ball" just causes a massive misfire and a whole lot of rotten egg stink...

I'll be talking with my transmission shop on Monday.

caddy.jpg

Greg

Archived