CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Oh NO - show tunes

Bruce Nunnally

Had an amusing glitch. Was listening to CNN on XM radio, and they played an ad for an interview on the XM Broadway Music channel which sounded interesting, and was just about to start. So, I scrolled the tuner over to the Broadway music channel, which plays all show tunes, and apparently some interviews. At this point something glitched, and the entertainment system stopped responding to the steering wheel controls, the local controls, or the power controls.

Hmm, I thought -- maybe if once I reach my destination I turn the car off and back on, the various computers will reset/reboot so to speak. So, once I stopped, I turned the car off, and opened the door to stop the retained power and kill the entertainment system. It stayed on, although I would have argued that it can't do that. Hmm again.

Now I was starting to have visions of driving the CTS for days with show tunes blaring out of the entertainment system /shiver. As I stared at the system, thinking, the volume changed on its own to barely audible. Hmm again.

I went along and did my shopping, deciding I had time to drop the CTS off at the dealer and let them jiggle it if it was still 'stuck' after. When I returned, the entertainment system had turned off, reset, and all controls behaved normally. Ah, computers.

Bruce

2016 Cadillac ATS-V gray/black

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

any lightning in your neck of the woods? Might have funked with it, yeah you love to love them and hate them gadgets.

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

Welcome aboard flight 1221 to San Francisco. This is an automated flight with no crew members. Every aspect of this flight is computer controlled for your safety and comfort. Nothing can go wrong - can go wrong - can go wrong - can go wrong....

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Welcome aboard flight 1221 to San Francisco. This is an automated flight with no crew members. Every aspect of this flight is computer controlled for your safety and comfort. Nothing can go wrong - can go wrong - can go wrong - can go wrong....

LMAO :lol:

<!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto-->2007 DTS Performance - 50K

<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->

As a matter of fact, I <i>am</i> driving 70 MPH in a phone booth.

c'mon gents. Be thankfull you don't have to wait 5+ minutes till you car boots up. Althogh reset button on the dash would be usefull :D

Uh, if one got a Mac-controlled automobile, no reboots would be necessary!

We do. Most of the modules in our cars use the PowerPC as the microprocessor. Bruce's problem is apparently internal to the radio power switching. It seems that the always-hot keep-alive power was made available to the operational part of the radio, and the processor that handled the controls was locked up. I would imagine something timed out, like the five-minute stay-alive timer for the automatic leveling system, and cut the power to the locked-up processor. The timeout may have been an internal timer in the radio designed for just such lockups; this is not uncommon in embedded software design.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

We do. Most of the modules in our cars use the PowerPC as the microprocessor.

Uh, I thought I was kidding!!!!!

We do. Most of the modules in our cars use the PowerPC as the microprocessor. Bruce's problem is apparently internal to the radio power switching. It seems that the always-hot keep-alive power was made available to the operational part of the radio, and the processor that handled the controls was locked up. I would imagine something timed out, like the five-minute stay-alive timer for the automatic leveling system, and cut the power to the locked-up processor. The timeout may have been an internal timer in the radio designed for just such lockups; this is not uncommon in embedded software design.

You are a complete geek; so much like me it's scary. Excellent analysis, btw.

Mark

<!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto-->2007 DTS Performance - 50K

<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->

As a matter of fact, I <i>am</i> driving 70 MPH in a phone booth.

glad you got it worked out Bruce - very strange. Now if we could just get it to "lock up" while displaying the song title/artist on XM that would be great. Annoys me to no end that there is not an option to keep that displayed and that it keeps defaulting to the clock! Oh well!

-dave

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

Yes; as a compromise we keep one of the programmable display buttons set to "I" so that one can press that repeatedly for station or artist/song info when needed.

Bruce

2016 Cadillac ATS-V gray/black

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Yes; as a compromise we keep one of the programmable display buttons set to "I" so that one can press that repeatedly for station or artist/song info when needed.

LOL, That is exactly what we have done with ours! :D We are gonna wear that little button out!

-dave B)

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

Archived