CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

So the youngest son prefers...

TDK

But its a trick topic as you will see...

So the youngest son sold his 2002 Subaru WRX SCCA racer and bought a friend's 2005 Mitsibushi EVO.

The friend tricked it out with loads of real, serious hardware along with fun gadgets; Larger turbo/intercooler, aftermarket intake, stand-alone engine management computer, racing transaxle, electronic/selectable suspension, oxygen, exhaust temp readouts, knock-link pre-detonation fuel utilization sensor, heads up display, carbon fiber trunk and lots of other leds that probably mean something.

Anyhoo, that 2-liter AWD is putting out 420hp and the friend never even raced it in SCCA.

How does this involve the Caddy you ask?

Well, apparently an o-ring is leaking on the racing transxle - so it has to be dropped/fixed by the speciality shop in southern California at their cost.

So the youngest son says - Dad, I like driving a comfortable reliable car, so can I borrow the Caddy for a couple weeks while my car is in the shop?

And then he has the gall (or common sense) to flat-out ask when we are getting another car because he would sure like the Caddy "...before anything happens to it".

Keep in mind that this is the same son who was with me and "she who must be obeyed", when we were in the triples for over an hour in the rain with the Caddy not so many months ago coming back from Vegas.

Odd that he would think the Big Red Dog at almost 190,000-miles is getting tired. Or maybe he thinks that I might total it before it is his?

Regardless, an interesting juxtaposition of vehicles!

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

My almost 21 year old is constantly "needing" to use MY Eldo. He has a very nice 2001 4x4 big money Ram Sport extended whatever. My opinion is that once driven, a Northstar powered vehicle has you hooked big time.

Kent

Yep, I think the northstar well cadillac in general becomes addicting after a drive or 2. I remember taking my fathers 98 STS out for a spin when I was 17 maybe 18 because My POS lincoln LS at the time was in the shop. Ever since then I traded the LS for an ETC within 4 months and have only owned cadillac since then. I always here it from people my age (20) why I "Drive an old mans car" My answer is always the same "Race me and you'll see why." Now drivin a caddy and being young has it perks to with the ladies (More so with the CTS then my previous STS's, dont know why I guess it looks cooler). I cant see me ever owning another brand Cadillac just has something that other automakers dont. I mean the name alone makes me smile.

2004 Cadillac CTS 3.6L VVT Light platinum 39K miles

~Vogue VTXi Package - Corsa Exhaust - K & N Cold air intake - Blacked out tints

2004 Cadillac Escalade 6.0L all-whell drive Pewter 42k miles

~22" Tis 07 Rims - E&G Chrome Vertyical billet Grill - Limo tints - Tv's in the Visor and headrests

1990 Mustang GT Painted Cadillac Diamond White - 604 Rwhp

Family Cars:

2004 Cadillac XLR (Mom)

2005 Cadillac STS V8(Dad)

2000 Eldorado ETC (Brother)

Yep, I think the northstar well cadillac in general becomes addicting after a drive or 2. I remember taking my fathers 98 STS out for a spin when I was 17 maybe 18 because My POS lincoln LS at the time was in the shop. Ever since then I traded the LS for an ETC within 4 months and have only owned cadillac since then. I always here it from people my age (20) why I "Drive an old mans car" My answer is always the same "Race me and you'll see why." Now drivin a caddy and being young has it perks to with the ladies (More so with the CTS then my previous STS's, dont know why I guess it looks cooler). I cant see me ever owning another brand Cadillac just has something that other automakers dont. I mean the name alone makes me smile.

Completely agree. Not to go off on a tangent, but I remember a numer of years back before my grandfather passed, he drove a late-90's Eldo. He was going on one night about how on his last trip to God-knows-where he got a speeding ticket going 110 (for Pete's sake this guy had a set of driving gloves!) I thought it was just BS-fodder until I got an Eldo of my own. Now I understand.

I'm kind of in your boat (no pun intended!) as I am in the under 30 crowd myself (OK, barely :rolleyes: ). As a matter of fact, tonight I was leaving an establishment and my friend's girlfriend commented "Nice Caddy!" as I walked alongside my car. I was about to say, "Thanks!", but she was being sarcastic, thinking I was going to walk on by it to my real car. She was oblivious to the fact that it was my car :lol: Imagine the look as I turned my old-school gold key into the lock cylinder!

These are truly great cars with unbelieveable powerplants.

<!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto-->2007 DTS Performance - 50K

<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->

As a matter of fact, I <i>am</i> driving 70 MPH in a phone booth.

I have to say first impressions and sterio types about the deville are dropped pretty quick after riding in it....then again they also enjoy the ability to move pretty quick AND have a seat warmer :) Those seat warmers are key to Buffalo, NY area weather.

Speaking of those gold keys, I wonder if there is a way to get a hold of them, I remember the old 92 Deville had a set of gold and a set of the regular black head standard key.

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

I have to say first impressions and sterio types about the deville are dropped pretty quick after riding in it....then again they also enjoy the ability to move pretty quick AND have a seat warmer :) Those seat warmers are key to Buffalo, NY area weather.

Speaking of those gold keys, I wonder if there is a way to get a hold of them, I remember the old 92 Deville had a set of gold and a set of the regular black head standard key.

I haven't owned a DeVille, but the only way into my Caddy was the FWD sell (honey, I have to drive almost 20 miles back and forth to work in the snow/ice/(insert weather calamity here) now!) The DeVilles like yours are RWD, correct?

And yes, the heated seats (heretofore butt-warmers :P ) are key in the frigid midwest as well. I don't know if you can get the gold keys cut anymore; I only have one set. I need to get duplicates for obvious reasons but I suppose they'll just cut the black head key/silver key combo. I think they discontinued the gold-plated keys in '96 or so. Nice accent, I thought.

Amazing to think that a vehicle of this caliber, in this shape, was purchased for a mere $5,200. The price new (adjusted for inflation) was almost $53K sticker only 12 years ago. Gotta love depreciation, eh?

<!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto-->2007 DTS Performance - 50K

I much rather drive in a cadillac then one of those fart machines AKA Rice burners that these kids call cars. I am proud of my Grandpa mobile and I will never deny that I own one, Man when I had my 99 ETC I broke alot of peoples heart when they use to here the growl from the 300HP northstar and then see nothing but its beautiful *smurf* all the down the street. The funny thing is that out of my friends that use to make fun of me 3 have my "old" caddys (98STS, 00 STS and 01 DTS),

~22" Tis 07 Rims - E&G Chrome Vertyical billet Grill - Limo tints - Tv's in the Visor and headrests

Family Cars:

2004 Cadillac XLR (Mom)

yup them golden keyz are cool to show off i have a 1999 deville with the golden keyz and i allready have 179k on my cadi and runnin stong once u go cadi u never let go i got hooked on my deville a 17yr old and before i was dring a trans am gta but onece a i sat on the cadi that was it sold lol

I haven't owned a DeVille, but the only way into my Caddy was the FWD sell (honey, I have to drive almost 20 miles back and forth to work in the snow/ice/(insert weather calamity here) now!) The DeVilles like yours are RWD, correct?

And yes, the heated seats (heretofore butt-warmers :P ) are key in the frigid midwest as well. I don't know if you can get the gold keys cut anymore; I only have one set. I need to get duplicates for obvious reasons but I suppose they'll just cut the black head key/silver key combo. I think they discontinued the gold-plated keys in '96 or so. Nice accent, I thought.

Amazing to think that a vehicle of this caliber, in this shape, was purchased for a mere $5,200. The price new (adjusted for inflation) was almost $53K sticker only 12 years ago. Gotta love depreciation, eh?

No the Deville is a FWD luxury muscle car I say :P Wish it was rear sometimes, for on thing would certainly make servicing the engine easier (thats also an idea I've had for a custom job, a RWD deville creation with a blower :) I have photoshop concept art of my idea somewhere, I stuck v-series badges on and everything).

I'll have to look into getting some of those gold keys. At the very least I think I could get some used gold keys and have the cars ignition programed to one right? Hmm.

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

The gold keys are no longer available from Cadillac. :angry: Sometimes you can find them on ebay - you need to know the VATS resistor number of your car and then any dealer can cut the key for you.

Two sets of gold keys used to come with a new Cadillac - When I bought my '93 Fleetwood, it came with two sets of gold keys, one set of standard keys and an extra door lock key.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

All that talk about gold keys, I thought I better look.

Turns out I have two sets in gold both with openers etc attached.

Not bad luck considering the BRD (Big Red Dog) was a rental car before our company bought it for my company car (later on I bought it).

Still has the owners manual, (excuse me ... Owner's Literature) and the leather pouch with the maintenance records. I need to look under the trunk floor someday (might be packed with loot).

Just got back from yet another 160-mile 2-hour drive back from our house in Reno. Flawless drive and breezed right past a Trooper sitting between the interstate lanes doing 82.5.

Dang! its way nicer in the BRD, than waiting for the heat to bring the house back up to human being temperature.

And yes the underside of the front air dam scrapped on a low parking curb and the youngest son says " Sheesh Dad, take it easy this car's gotta last!" I can see now his high-dollar ricer buddies want a decent ride to party in - as opposed to their tricked out toy racer cars.

Oh yea, I also "borrowed" a quart of Castrol 5w40 oil from young son and he asked about the oil usage. Well, I said (looking at the slightly overdue oil change sticker) it was about 1-quart low after 3,500 miles and most of that might be the half-case leak. He was a bit astounded that at 190,000-miles, it probably uses(looses) less than some of his friend's cars.

I suppose I'l ask him to look around for a newer red DTS on the web and in California.

Later

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

Our '97 came with one set of gold keys and one set of black/silver keys. I still use the gold keys every day, but would love to find some new ones.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

So the youngest son says - Dad, I like driving a comfortable reliable car, so can I borrow the Caddy for a couple weeks while my car is in the shop?

With age, comes wisdom.

Unfortunately it's accompanied by bad teeth, bowel problems, and . . . . Oh, CRAP, I don't wanna go on . . . . .

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Hell yes is what I have to say.

I'm 21, just got my first Caddy. These other kids can drive their Honda's with giant wings, or their Toyota's with farting exhausts. I'll ride in style, thank you very much.

Ahh, enlightened youth...even with all of that aftermarket crap on their cars, you'll still blow 'em away. Our kind of guy :)

Hell yes is what I have to say.

I'm 21, just got my first Caddy. These other kids can drive their Honda's with giant wings, or their Toyota's with farting exhausts. I'll ride in style, thank you very much.

Lol, Couldnt have said it better myself!!! Along with a caddy comes the ladies be prepared, I work in a Stripclub and I know first hand the effect a caddy has on a chick, Lol j/k (I did feel bad selling my STS to the neighborhood Minister though)

Family Cars:

2004 Cadillac XLR (Mom)

Archived